Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Help with the new build! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/41945-help-new-build.html)

Aj23 March 24, 2011 04:44 PM

Help with the new build!

Hey,
I plan to get the following

CPU - i5 2500k with Asus p67 Board
NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Bundle Deal - Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Processor & ASUS P8P67 B3 Motherboard - Bundle Deals - 2500K-P8P67 - in Canada

GSkill 8gb ram
NCIX.com - Buy G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 Memory - G.Skill - F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL - in Canada

Samsung DVD writer
NCIX.com - Buy Samsung SH-S223C 22X DVD Writer SATA Black OEM - Samsung - SH-S223C/BEBE-OEM - in Canada

Fractal R3 case or bitfenix survivor
NCIX.com - Buy Fractal Design Define R3 SE White ATX Mid Tower Silent Computer Case 2X5.25 8X3.5INT No PS Front USB - Fractal Design - DEFINE-R3-WHITE - in Canada
NCIX.com - Buy Bitfenix Survivor Black ATX Mid Tower Case 3X5.25 1X3.5 7X3.5INT No PS Front USB3.0 W/ Handle - BitFenix - BFC-SRV-300-KKX1-RP - in Canada

This comes up to $583 plus tax with the fractal, and about $550 + tax with the bitfenix. I already have an antec truepower trio 650w (is this good enough?), a 7900gs (I don't game, so its good enough), and my old 500gb sata hard drive. I would still need a good, and silent heatsink, would the noctua be my best option? I'm still debating on cases as well, need something silent since it'll be run 24/7 in the room I sleep in.

Is this even a good deal for what I'm getting, or am I better off waiting a bit?

I'm not missing any parts, am I? Just wanna make sure lol.

Any suggestions / help is appreciated.

rugox April 12, 2011 03:36 AM

Motherboard and CPU looks fine. That combo deal would save you money too.

Are you going to be doing video editing or graphics designing? If not, no need for 8GB RAM. Get 4GB.

If you were debating only between the Bitfenix and Define R3, I would get the R3. If you are looking for a silent case, there's also the NZXT Hush. You also be aware that Fractal has a new Arc Midi case that looks pretty cool.

Antec 650W is a solid PSU and since you don't plan to game or plan to set up multiple GPUs, it's adequate for your setup.

Noctua would be the best air cooling heatsink you could get right now but coolermaster Hyper 212+ is probably the best bang for the buck air cooler out there (I got mine price matched to $20 before).

Rison April 12, 2011 05:49 AM

PSU is more than overkill for your needs.

The Noctua D14 is an excellent heatsink and fan combination, which is quiet. I'm not certain if it will interfere with the ram heatsinks though.
I'd personally go with the 2x4gig ram setup, but if you're looking to save money on the project, do as you wish.
The CM212+ is a good low-to-mid end heatsink and fan setup. The fan it comes with is a tad loud, you could replace them with a Noctua P12 (which are near silent) or I recommend the Scythe Gentle Typhoon or Scythe SFLEX 800-1200RPM fans for quiet operation.
If you want something in between the CM212 and Noctua D14, the Corsair A70 or Coolermaster V6GT would be good.. both of them come with louder fans stock.

Other than an operating system, it looks like you're good to go.

Luay79 April 12, 2011 10:56 PM

No gaming, over clocking, graphic design, or multi-threaded applications? how about i3 2100 on an ASUS P8H61-M motherboard? 4 GB of RAM should be enough. Use the savings for a SSD, one less engine running = more quite.

ImmaPC April 12, 2011 11:39 PM

If you don't game much and don't plan on overclocking, I would go with what Luay said and get something cheaper. Also, 8GB of RAM is too much if you're not doing anything graphics intensive. Decent 4GB kit is all you need. Shazam, Corsair can't go wrong: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair XMS CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 4GB 1X4GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 DIMM Memory Module - Corsair - CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 - in Canada. As for a cooler, a CM Hyper 212+ is super cheap and is very decent when it comes to noise. You don't need to run it on full but it's the best $20 you'll ever spend on a CPU cooler. Your case is nice so should help with what little noise it does make. If you won't be OCing or anything don't worry about noise. Also, don't forget to pricematch your parts too. You can save tons of cash.

_dangtx_ April 12, 2011 11:55 PM

well they do have that msi i3 and 4 gigs of ram combo in special till later today, and being an 1156 itll probably clock a bit too(well the mobos not much but)

tabasko April 13, 2011 05:04 PM

if you want your build anytime soon you can't pick the R3 because it's backordered and the word is that it won't be in for at least a few weeks (month)