Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2011, 06:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default First build - req help

Hello :)
I'm new on this forum and at computer building (I don't know what's the best term for it). I've come across this forum once and found some very good information and links. I had trouble to find it again, but now it's done, and I'm here to ask for some help. I'm not completely newb at this, but I don't want to make mistakes either, since it may be expensive...

What is that computer for? Actually, a lot for gaming, but also for 3D game development I'm doing with friends and for AI developing (I don't think it's going to be hard on the hardware, but still, since I'm going to test the performance of self-programing PCC algos I add it here... cause of the "self" lol)

EDIT: After your comments, here's the new build:

ASUS P8P67 Pro ATX P67 LGA1155 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI Sandy Bridge B3 Motherboard

Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core Unlocked Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Sandy Bridge 8MB

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Fermi 772MHZ 1536MB GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750 CMPSU-750AX 750W ATX Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold Power Supply

Noctua NH-D14 LGA1155/1156/1366/AM3 I7/I5/PHENOM Heatpipe Cooler W/ NF-P14 140MM & NF-P12 120MM Fan

Still don't know for the drives, either 2 hybrid ssd raid0, or 1 SSD and 1 HDD.
And for the case...well, the 932 seems ok, but still not sure.

Anyways, the total cost for all this stuff will around 1600$ - 1700$, so more than 400$ cheaper than planing.
I know that this PSU is very good, but is it enough? I think so since I only have one gpu, but just to be sure :)

That's all I think... I know there's a case and cooling section on this forum so I'll go and check tonight or tomorrow if I can help myself. Thanks for reading and helping, hope my english isn't too bad as I'm from quebec, and bye!

Last edited by Arkilion; March 24, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old March 23, 2011, 07:00 PM
Rookie

I just completed my first ever build tonight with success.

I really can't offer alot as I am still learning, but I can say the Coolermaster HAF 932 seems to be a great case, and I got it pricematched from ncix for 100.00, For ease of installing everything I was extremely happy with it.
As for cooling it seems to be doing the job so far. I will be adding a Corsair Hydro H70 when it comes in off backorder but even with the stock fan things seem to be staying quite cool.
Old March 23, 2011, 07:10 PM
MVP

thats an LGA 1155 board and an LGA 1366 CPU...those two things are NOT compatible.
also buying a 580 is basically paying an extra 100$+ just for epeen.
if u decide to go with the LGA 1155 platform which imo is the better choice for gaming (since u picked out a 500$ gpu guessing gaming is ur main concern) u need dual channel memory as only the X58 (LGA 1366) platform can take triple channel...
Old March 23, 2011, 07:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

So I should go with SandBridge 2xxx cpu? If so, which is a good option?
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-27 240PIN Core i5 i7 AMD Memory Kit - Corsair - CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 - in Canada
Should be better now
I like how the 2600 is close to the 970, but for only 325$ for the unlocked version instead of 600$
Thanks for your help

Last edited by Arkilion; March 23, 2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old March 23, 2011, 08:02 PM
MVP

id say the 2500k is the best value for its massive overclock headroom and the very nice performance per hertz rating of the SB chips. The extra cache on the 2600k isnt rly worth mentioning as its far from being a limiting factor, and HT on a quadcore is pretty much useless for gaming. the asus p67 pro you picked is a very nice mobo and should complement a 2500k quite nicely!

Keep in mind tho p67 has some limitations vs x58. less pci-e bandwidth (8x/8x vs 16x/16x if u want to go multigpu) unless ur board has something like an NF200 chip but even that introduces some delay mildly affecting performance. although for dual card setups this has pretty much no effect whatsoever if u want to go for 3-4cards (or having things like a dedicated physx card/raid controller/sound card/etc) the difference will be more marked. also dual channel vs triple channel doesnt change much in gaming but in productivity applications a difference can be noticed with the extra ram dimm.

however, all that considered, the superior raw power of the SB chips and the much more affordable price point makes it my choice for a gaming rig!

also with a budget like yours id totally suggest atleast 2 lower capacity SSDs in raid0 for ur boot drive...it will make a world of difference for about 150-200$ Ofc u could pick up more if u choose to do so but imo all modern premium rigs should have SSDs (how much is up to u)...such a better investment than a premium CPU!
Old March 23, 2011, 08:10 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartattaq View Post
I will be adding a Corsair Hydro H70 when it comes in off backorder
If u have a 932 STAY CLEAR OF THE H70. just get a noctua nh-d14 for slightly cheaper, performs alot better and wont make u go deaf. the H70 can only be justified in my opinion when traditional air coolers can't be fitted but the 932 has plenty of room (unless ur ram is so tall the NH-D14 cant fit but even at that there are way better air coolers out there than the H70 which is just a gimmick)!
Old March 24, 2011, 05:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for your comment. I'll think about it for the SSD since they seems good. But are the hydrid SSDs better or not?

As I said, this pc is for gaming, but also developing, maybe with a ratio of 60/40 of the time.

Now that the main pieces fits, I'll check the case/cooling. Thank you BrutalGreen

Edit: Finally, I found your review on Hybrid SSD, and I'll go for real SSD finaly.

Last edited by Arkilion; March 24, 2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old March 24, 2011, 03:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok, I edited my first post to fit the changes made. Does it seems good and working? And for the cases, I still need some suggestion , but in which the NH-D14 may fit :)
Old March 24, 2011, 05:43 PM
MVP

All seems good compatibility wise now, although as i said I would say the 580 isnt the smartest purchase...yes it is the strongest single GPU out there yet the performance difference over the 570/6970 doesnt justify the price gap imo!

I actually would rather go for 2 570s in SLI over a 580 (for 100$ more u do get a huge performance gain or u can get 2 560s for same price and even that performs better and is what im currently running in my rig and am quite happy). And if physx/cuda are not a concern some reference 2gb 6950 costing about 250$ (gigabyte comes to mind) each can unlock into 6970s and perform VERY VERY nicely (even better than 580s in some titles that are more AMD friendly like BFBC2/Metro2033). Crossfiring those for about the same price as a single 580 would blow the 580 out of the water for the same price! (although keep in mind a stronger PSU would be needed, the older brother of the AX750, the AX850 would be a nice option or even something a little higher if u like having more headroom)

when choosing ur gpu take resolution in mind, as well as what games u will be running, things like use of physx in some games, or performance that gives a huge advantage to either the amd or nvidia side in other games might come into play. also the way cards place performance wise relative to one another depends on resolution too, for example a card X might beat a card Y at low resolution but at higher resolution card Y might have enough vram while card X might be at its limit thus letting card Y perform better...just look at benchmarks from games that matter to you...

And actually no i wasnt talking about hybrid drives, i actually dont like them cause they use very little ssd storage and the controllers on those things are quite underperforming for the most part... i was talking about picking up 2 actual cheaper SSDs preferably with a sandforce controller (60gb ocz vertex 2 go for 80$ while corsair F40s can be found arround 70$ each) and raid0ing those for OS/main programs with something like a WD black for storage.

Also its not rly an issue but the ram u picked out seems to be kind of a budget solution (1333mhz 9-9-9-24) and the rest of ur rig is quite kick ass...just seems kinda contrasting to me. IMO if i was gona go for budget ram on a rig like that cause i had no choice id rather go with high performance 4gb kit over a slow 8gb set as MOST applications dont use more than 4gb anyways. However, if ur gona be doing productivity (thus the 2600k>2500k and 4gb>8gb) and ur under ur budget, go the extra mile and get better ram. (general rule of thumb, tighter timings affect gaming performance more while higher speeds affect productivity applications, and lower stock voltage give more OC/timing tightening headroom, IMO sweet spot is 1600mhz 7-7-7-21 after tweaks or about...just try to stay away from the ones with huge heatsinks that cant fit under ur cpu cooler)

As for case, most bigger cases should have no issue with the NH-D14, the 932 u mentioned b4 was fine...although I HATE THE LOOKS ON THAT THING, FIND IT UGLY AS HELL. and thats the thing with cases, it comes down to quality/airflow/needs/features AND aesthetics. As a matter of fact i am currently running my computer without a case cause the case that i want to buy wont be released for another 2 weeks. only reason I want that case; love the looks and has good cooling. For the case just look around, find something u like, investigate things like airflow, dust filters (a dusty PC is annoying), make sure ur stuff fits, build quality, and also things that might matter to u (for some people connectivity/hotswaps/weight/etc might matter as for others it might be a non-issue)

Some case suggestions:
Silverstone RV01/02 or FT02 - 150 to 250$
CM HAF series - 45 to 170$
Corsair 600/650/700/800 - 120 to 250$
Lancool PC-K60/62 - 70 to 85$
NZXT Phantom - 120$
etc, etc, etc

For GPUs:
2x Gigabyte or any other cheap reference 2gb 6950 (and unlock) - 250$ each PM'd
2x GTX 560ti WITH GOOD COOLERS (and OC, twin frozrs are what i have) - 220 to 240$ each PM'd
2x GTX 570 (id just go for the cheapest ones, MSI is cheapest atm) - 310$ each PM's

PS also just came to my mind, having a dedicated physx card can GREATLY improve performance on nvidia cards in games with physx enabled, u could have a 2way sli system with an additional physx card for maybe an extra 40$ (and the black 4x pci-e slot on the pro, coupled with an older geforce card should fit this application quite nicely) but keep in mind, depending on if card u choose for this application is single or dual slot u might need a case with an 8th expansion slot!

some good single slot physx cards candidates:
xfx gt 240 - 35$ on sale
some cheap 9800 GT - 70ish$ if u can find one
dual slot more powerful alternative:
some cheap GTS 450/768mb GTX 460 - 100$ or lower depending on luck (alot of retailers are trying to get rid of old stock)

Lastly some good 8gb ram kits for not too expensive:
1.25v 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 g-skill sniper kit (and tighten the timings, the stock VERY low voltage should give u plenty of headroom) - 95% PM'd
1.35v 1333mhz 7-7-7-21 g-skill eco kit (and OC, low voltage = good headroom) - 110$ PM'd
1.50v 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 g-skill ripjaws (and tighten the timings, the stock 1.5v should give some headroom going to a rather safe 1.65v) - 90$ PM'd
(and no i am not a g-skill fan, actually never used g-skill, but i havnt heard anything bad about them and these seem like good deals)
otherwise:
go with corsair/crucial equivalents expecting to pay a little more (mushkin too makes some good high performance kits for decent prices but they seem hard to find in dual channel 8gb flavor, my old pc had triple channel radioactive 3x2gbs and those things were amazing value)
Old March 24, 2011, 06:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Great, thanks for these comments. I finaly decided to go with the CM Haf X for the case.
The reason I took 1333 RAM was because most of them would had issue with the NH-D14, mostly because of their heatsinkers. I'll check these to be sure they fits, ou maybe I should go with something like the WC Eco C240 for the cooling (140$ instead of 90$)?
Seems that with the ripjaws, it fit with 1/4" free space, so I'll update it. For the dual GPU, I'll think about it. It's true that 2 570SLI are alot better that a single 580, but still, it seems overkill.

For the SSD, on which site are you buying these at this price, since on ncix and newegg, they go for 110-130$ each.
Anyways, I have time to think, I won't order until a week or two. Thanks for your help :)

EDIT: I almost forgot, about the SSDs. Does it really worth it a gaming/developing computer? I means, during a game or while I create some models, will i see the difference, or is it mostly at the startup of windows/programs? And is it true they don't last that long, I mean, some says they can only be writen a certain amount of time.

Last edited by Arkilion; March 24, 2011 at 06:57 PM.