Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2011, 08:22 PM
MVP

The Eco 240 is barely better than an H70...honestly I'd stay away from those ALC systems and either get good heatsink or build a custom water loop (or multiloop). I did on purpose to only recommend ram modules that weren't so tall as to interfere with the NH-D14 so any of the kits i mentioned should fit fine. And the SSDs...well I just got myself 2x OCZ vertex 2 60gb from NCIX. I tried to pricematch to some American retailer who was selling it at 100$+20$MIR but NCIX refused the PM but offered me 88$ per SSD so I accepted! So far only had them for a few days and things like boot/load times (ingame lvls/programs/startup), file transfers, OS navigation, FRAPS recordings, etc are ridiculously faster...however no don't expect an FPS boost as that is absolutely not related to ur storage! But things like productivity where u have to load up big textures and other such files u will see a noticeable boost...As for their durability yes they have limited writes but should still last quite long (longer than alot of the cheaper HDDs that could potentially die at any random time), and doing things like disabling paging and only using them for data that is read alot but not often rewrited like OS, most used programs, etc you can increase their lifespan quite a bit!
Old March 25, 2011, 05:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks! I think that with those final answer, my build is pretty much over in theory, only need to order the pieces now and test it! Well, to build it too, which will be the first time, but I saw an thread on this on the forum so I think I'll be ok.
Old March 25, 2011, 02:38 PM
MVP

If you're rly wanting to get a gtx 580 then y get a reference design when u can get the MSI GTX 580 Lightning at basically the exact same price (most of them can easily get over 1ghz)!
Old March 25, 2011, 02:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I didn't know about these, it's the only reason o_O

EDIT: You are definitely right. They are the same price, but faster, cooler and quiter. Thanks, it was the first time I heard of those Lightning gpu

Last edited by Arkilion; March 25, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old March 25, 2011, 04:19 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

The weakest link in your build is the ram. Those are slow but cheap and you shouldn't run into issues with mushkin. If you plan on going SLI in the future, you might want to get a higher watt power supply.

Once you install windows, you should run this: MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows
Old March 25, 2011, 04:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

For the ram, I forgot to update the main post, I decided to go with the ripjaws posted by BrutalGreen, so 1600 instead of 1333 and 8-8-8-24 instead of 9-9-9-24.

Last edited by Arkilion; March 25, 2011 at 05:08 PM.