Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2011, 07:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Not exactly necessary to have a SSD guide because they do behave exactly like a HDD during first install.

First POST → Set DVD drive as 1st boot priority & SSD as 2nd priority → Save BIOS → Insert disc and press any key → Install Windows 7

If you know how to make your Windows 7 DVD into a USB bootable it would speed up your formatting. You can also just put the secondary HDD later to avoid confusion because it is only as a extra space and not the OS. The EFI BIOS should be 100x easier to use now compared to older BIOS where it is all keyboard controlled.

The front panel audio is not hard to connect and most of the front panel USB is pretty simple and rarely you will have problems. In the case that there are 8 pins in that connector the other end would usually have only 7 holes to avoid you installing the wrong way. The front panel button and indicator LED is even simpler these days with those Asus Q-connectors. Usually you would have to refer to the manual but the Q-Connector is labeled and so is the front panel wires themselves so getting confused is again very unlikely.
Old March 23, 2011, 07:58 AM
Rookie

ya I dont plan n hooking up anything but the essentials to get it going, that being the Optical drive, ssd the OS is going on, and video card. the extra HDD, and sound card can go in later once I know everything is running properly

I will have an antivirus, ready to install off a thumbdrive so I dont have to connect to the internet unprotected. Are there any other programs you guys would suggest to load this way?
Old March 23, 2011, 08:04 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartattaq View Post
ya I dont plan n hooking up anything but the essentials to get it going, that being the Optical drive, ssd the OS is going on, and video card. the extra HDD, and sound card can go in later once I know everything is running properly

I will have an antivirus, ready to install off a thumbdrive so I dont have to connect to the internet unprotected. Are there any other programs you guys would suggest to load this way?
Good plan with the anti-virus.

Off the top of my head, the only other thing like this that I would suggest is make sure you have your LAN drivers downloaded on your thumb drive too. Sometimes Windows won't have a drivers for it...kinda sucks when you go to download LAN drivers and you have no internet connection.
Old March 23, 2011, 08:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Technically it is not very likely that you're going to be attacked by a virus just because you have an internet connection. Usually within Windows itself has sufficient protection to avoid that happening temporarily and usually users get viruses or trojan or worm when they 'allow' them to come in via e-mail or a infected link for example.

It is a shame to see that some Windows don't have ethernet support right out of the box unlike my Ubuntu which has every basic things working from a fresh install. Not necessarily that you must connect your internet ASAP during installation. You can install Windows 7, install all the basic drivers from the CD that comes with the motherboard and install antivirus which all can be done offline before finally connecting to the internet to download the latest drivers for your GC and validating your Windows 7 and updating it.
Old March 23, 2011, 09:42 AM
MVP

My System Specs

When you get your case figure out which screws are the correct ones for the motherboard. I got the HAF X case and there are some screws which look very similar but do not go easily into the stand-offs.
Old March 23, 2011, 11:24 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post

If you know how to make your Windows 7 DVD into a USB bootable it would speed up your formatting. You can also just put the secondary HDD later to avoid confusion because it is only as a extra space and not the OS. The EFI BIOS should be 100x easier to use now compared to older BIOS where it is all keyboard controlled.

I assume the following is what you mean by making a bootable drive

Install Windows 7 From USB Drive/Pen Drive

I have done what was described in the guide and am gonna give it a try
Old March 23, 2011, 11:27 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartattaq View Post
I assume the following is what you mean by making a bootable drive

Install Windows 7 From USB Drive/Pen Drive

I have done what was described in the guide and am gonna give it a try
Yes. This was one of the better guides on how to make a bootable Windows 7 USB drive. I've tried this and it worked like a charm.
Old March 23, 2011, 06:33 PM
Rookie

Well install was a success, so far everything seems to be running well. Only concern I have is it seems one chassis fan is only running at 490 rpm, another chassis fan at 758 rpm, power fan 775 rpm, cpu fan 1194 rpm

concerned about the low spin on chassis fan that is spinning at 490 although the cas seems cool ,and mobo and cpu temps are hovering around 22 and 26 degrees celsius respectively.

Possibly normal for coolermaster HAF 932 fans since they are so big?

Just putting around now, looking how to optimize things,

Will have to rip out the stock cooler in a couple days when the corsair Hydro H70 comes in =)
Old March 23, 2011, 10:38 PM
Rookie

well 6 hrs in and I am quite pleased if for nothing more than the boost it has given rift,

Going from 10-20 fps on med. settings to a solid 50 fps on ultra, I am happy with. Gonna tinker around, maybe add another 4g of ram since it is so cheap. and once the aftermarket cooler is on, maybe start monkeying around with learning to overclock.

The forums have been great so far, starting to slowly learn =)
Old March 24, 2011, 12:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Since you're already have 4GB of RAM in 2GBx2 I suggest getting the extra 4GB in 2GBx2 as well instead of a single 4GBx1. With a 4GBx1 you will have 3 RAM sticks in your slot and you would lose the dual channel capabilities.

You could try monitoring your fans with HWMonitor. It is kind of low for the case fans but if it is in idle then it is normal. Large diameter fans do not spin very fast so they get the same CFM as a smaller diameter fan that spins faster. The CPU fan is very odd to have such a slow speed but if the temperatures are good I don't see the need to worry. Your ambient temps must be freezing to get that low of a temps.

Do clean your casing every now and then because the HAF series are dust magnets.