Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 16, 2011, 07:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Upgrade bug has bitten

Ok, so here I go and get my nice new step 580 in the mail. I put it in my machine and while I do notice better fps in some games, it has made it very apparent that the rest of my system is starting to show its age. So now I have to try to decide what I want to get. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the 2600K as it should have a bit longer life than the 2500k. For memory I was thinking of maybe going with 8GB of the Corsair Vengence as seen here:

Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL8 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB) at Memory Express Computers

Now since I really have PSU (HX620) and GPU (GTX580) the main thing I need is the motherboard, which has me a little stumped.

I have looked at:

Asus Sabretooth P67 Rev 3.0 w/ Dual DDR3 1866, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, PCI-E, Quad CrossFireX / SLI at Memory Express Computers

Asus P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0 w/ Dual DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, PCI-E, Quad CrossFireX / SLI at Memory Express Computers

Asus P8P67 Deluxe Rev 3.0 w/ Dual DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Dual Gigabit Lan, 1394, PCI-E, Quad CrossFireX / SLI at Memory Express Computers

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 w/ Dual DDR3 2133, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, CrossFireX / SLI at Memory Express Computers

So I guess I'm leaning towards the P8P67 Pro, but I can't say that the Sabretooth isn't nice either. Or there is the deluxe which would give me front USB3 ports. I am looking at around the 180-230 price range so no point in recommending the Maximus IV. Saving $50 can make a difference so I really have to be sure the pricier ones are worth it.

What are peoples thoughts or preferences? I will not be getting this tomorrow or anything but if things go well then most likely at the end of the month. Thanks for any input.

Oh and yes I do plan on overclocking, nothing extreme but something decently high and stable. And yes I do want a board capable of SLI cause I might go down that route later on.

Old March 16, 2011, 07:38 PM
Banned
F@H

either or will be fine with the 2500k. yes, not 2600k. bang per buck you will not want this when aftermentioned dozer hits :p

but, maybe give dozer a reason to bring intel's chippies price down? if you can wait another...1-2 months?
Old March 16, 2011, 07:49 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Also depends on wha you are using it for, 2500k good for games, 2600k good for program like autocad and etc, folding, if you don't do that then 2600k will be a waste of money and both should laster you the same amount of time, why would the 2500k last less, its not like its a lower life chip.
Old March 16, 2011, 08:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'd say go with the Asus P8P67 Pro instead of the Deluxe. The extra price just for the USB 3.0 front panel is so not worth it. Even the Asus P8P67 Pro has USB 3.0 extension but it is a PCI bracket instead.

But I am wondering why they market it as quad GPU when users are most likely to only use the top 2 PCI Express slots at 8x8x with 2 regular GCs or put in dual HD6990 for quad GPU
Old March 16, 2011, 09:15 PM
MVP

I was gona get an SB build (although i had to settle for an AM3 cause GF insisted we go to Disneyland) but I had zeroed in on the UD4 as it seemed to offer best bang for buck (although it was going for 150$ at the time)!

but yeah I'd have to agree with dma Pro>Deluxe

and 2500k over 2600k as these chips rly come to life near their max OC and on the i7 from what I hear most people had to disable HT anyways to get to the higher clocks (not to mention the price-gap is quite steep for marginal gains)

last but not least, I would advise against those memory dimms for 2 reasons: overpriced, and too tall! Most decent coolers, which will come in handy when over clocking wont fit with those sticks. An example would be the extremely well priced Silver Arrow which i've heard of many peoples getting to the 5ghz milestone with on these chips
Old March 16, 2011, 11:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

As for mobo, UD4 maybe?
Would've been my choice anyway :)
For cpu, better wait till Bulldozer comes out and then make the choice.
Old March 16, 2011, 11:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not worried about Bulldozer, nothing against them but I'll stick with the Intel for the time being.

Of course I just had to laugh when I see a review on here for one of the boards I am considering. I will get to reading that at work tomorrow.

As for memory someone mentioned that the Corsair I mentioned was really tall, and while that doesn't matter to me as I have a H50, it did make me think about the memory and wondered if people think I should maybe go with something like this instead of the Corsair.

Patriot Viper Xtreme Series, Division Viper 2 Edition DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800 Low Latency Kit at Memory Express Computers

Thoughts?

And as for the 2500k vs 2600k debate, if I can afford to get the 2600k I will. I know that for just games generally right now I will not notice a difference, but I will notice a difference when encoding stuff. That and I plan on having this as my main system for quite some time so having those extra threads could come in handy even more as time goes by.

Old March 18, 2011, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So after a few days and looking around more I am still a little undecided about mobo and ram.

With motherboard, I'm almost sure I'll go with the Asus P8P67 Pro, but I have thought about the Deluxe as well. Now the question is if it is worth it to go up to the deluxe. It will cost me $50 more for the Deluxe over the Pro, do people think that is worth it? I know one major attraction for me is the front panel USB 3 box.

Now comes the memory choice, I thought I was decided but I started to wonder a bit about overclocking. Is the 1600MHz Ram going to be fine if I am thinking of OCing to 4.5ish? I might go higher but I don't plan on breaking any records or anything. So will the 1600 be fine or should I move up to something more? And if it is good which would you all go for.

This:
Patriot Viper Xtreme Series, Division Viper 2 Edition DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800 Low Latency Kit at Memory Express Computers
or this:
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB) at Memory Express Computers

Thanks for the input.

Old March 18, 2011, 10:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

If you feel there is a need for you to get the Deluxe version then go ahead. But as for me $50 for a small convenience is an expensive price to pay.
Old March 18, 2011, 11:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
So after a few days and looking around more I am still a little undecided about mobo and ram.

With motherboard, I'm almost sure I'll go with the Asus P8P67 Pro, but I have thought about the Deluxe as well. Now the question is if it is worth it to go up to the deluxe. It will cost me $50 more for the Deluxe over the Pro, do people think that is worth it? I know one major attraction for me is the front panel USB 3 box.

Now comes the memory choice, I thought I was decided but I started to wonder a bit about overclocking. Is the 1600MHz Ram going to be fine if I am thinking of OCing to 4.5ish? I might go higher but I don't plan on breaking any records or anything. So will the 1600 be fine or should I move up to something more? And if it is good which would you all go for.

This:
or this:
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB) at Memory Express Computers

Thanks for the input.
I was pretty much going to build the exact same system as you with the Sabertooth instead of the Pro or Deluxe and 8GB of G. Skill RAM @ 1600MHz since it was on sale at the time, but I decided to wait it out a couple more months.

I was going for the 2600k, b/c I too would be doing a decent amount of encoding and could use some extra horsepower. The Sabertooth board also has more USB ports if I remember correctly? which helps when I have to connect all of my external drives and other gadgets. It definately looks nicer, to me anyways, and I like the layout better.

With pricematching, you can get the Sabertooth for ~$210, the 2600k for ~$310, RAM for ~$80-90.

As for overclocking SB, I've been told that RAM is not linked with the CPU anymore, so it doesn't matter what speed you run your RAM at since it will not influence your clocks at all (someone plz correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited by richuwo11; March 18, 2011 at 11:18 AM.