Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19, 2011, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Last Wednesday (march 16th) I grabbed a Deluxe from NCIX (they had 10 in stock) I PM'ed it to $211 and they accepted. Jeez, the Sabertooth and the P8P67 PRO were Backorder, same thing for the MSi GD65.

when I ordered the DELUXE, the regular price was $239. a day after, $242 and now $247.38...
I wonder if it's those mobo prices hikes that are starting to show up...

Also, they got the 2500K, along with the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 for $249 as a bundle...couldn't pass on that...I really think this is an awesome deal..I don't care about the color, I love Noctua stuff
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old March 20, 2011, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well memory, the Corsair Vengeance 8GB, has been bought. That along with the new dvd drive. Now all I need is for the cpu to get here and to get the motherboard ordered. The cpu should be here monday or tuesday and then the board sometime later in the week.

Old March 26, 2011, 12:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, so things have progressed a bit. Waiting for the i7-2600K and Asus P8P67 Deluxe to come in, should be here Monday. Have the memory as I mentioned above. This now brings me to the power supply. I was not initially going to replace it but I figured since I want my old one for another build anyways, I might as well get a new one.

So that brings me ot a question for all of you out there. I was pretty set on the Corsair AX850 and while I still am somewhat am, I have just seen that for $25 more I could get a Silverstone Strider Gold 1200W. Now both are fully modular which I do want. So now my question is what are peoples thoughts on the Silverstone? I know that the 850 plus got good reviews here, so does anyone have an insight on the 1200 gold? So Corsair or Silverstone?

Oh that said I guess I could always get the Silverstone 850 gold as well for even less, though the same questions apply, which one is best or are they all just as good?

Product links:
SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd - Designing Inspiration
Professional Series

Old March 26, 2011, 01:16 AM
MVP

My System Specs

A 1200W PSU is pretty much overkill for a P67 motherboard. You could even support dual HD6990 or GTX590 with a 1200W PSU. If your aim is to just max out at GTX580 SLi then there is no need for a 1200W PSU. You could just get the 850W Sliverstone if you want to save a little bit more money.

Really hard to go wrong with Silverstone as they are a good PSU manufacturer. I favor semi modular PSU over fully modular as some cables are totally necessary. I would only consider the 1200W if you plan to watercool your whole rig and overclocking.
Old March 26, 2011, 02:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
So that brings me ot a question for all of you out there. I was pretty set on the Corsair AX850 and while I still am somewhat am, I have just seen that for $25 more I could get a Silverstone Strider Gold 1200W. Now both are fully modular which I do want. So now my question is what are peoples thoughts on the Silverstone? I know that the 850 plus got good reviews here, so does anyone have an insight on the 1200 gold? So Corsair or Silverstone?
Minor rail performance on the Silverstone is fairly lackluster for a premium unit, (nothing amazing, nothing bad) though the pricing is quite good. Warranty is only 3 years.

The Corsair AX series overall (except the 1200W) is better in pretty much every performance aspect. (IMO also better than the Seasonic design it's based on due to use of better EMI filters) Warranty is 7 years, but pricing is typically higher.

If you don't like the premium of the Corsair, I would get an OCZ ZX series PSU. Probably the 750W or 850W, though the 1200W can be had for $200-$50 MIR. They come cheaper than the Silverstones and are surprisingly better in the performance department. It's the same platform made by Great Wall as the Sparkle that Jonnyguru reviewed: Sparkle Gold Class 1250W Review
Old March 26, 2011, 02:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

After thinking about it a bit more I think that I would not go with the 1200W but that said I am still looking at the 850W Gold Strider. Or are people still suggesting the Corsair over it?

Old March 26, 2011, 03:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
After thinking about it a bit more I think that I would not go with the 1200W but that said I am still looking at the 850W Gold Strider. Or are people still suggesting the Corsair over it?
I'm a little confused as to why you're looking so intently at the Silverstone. In terms of quality and warranty length, the Corsair is far better, but is slightly more expensive. If that premium is really an issue for you, the OCZ ZX 850 can be had for slightly less than the Silverstone Strider Gold 850, the performance is slightly better, and the warranty is longer.

The only feature the Silverstone has that the other two don't is the inline capacitor that they "claim" eliminates coil whine. Antec already tried marketing that, and it obviously didn't work. Unless Silverstone did something insanely innovative I don't think the same tech could yield better results.
Old March 26, 2011, 05:10 AM
Allstar

Seasonic X Series 850 is probably the best gold certified PSU out there.
Old March 26, 2011, 08:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The reason I started to look at the Sliverstone is because I was thinking that they used to be good and I could get a good price on the 1200W. Then I saw the 850W was also a good deal. Now that said I have always been leaning towards the Corsair as I do not question their reliability and they have customer service and a great warranty to back them up, generally worth the price increase. I am just trying to get all my options covered. Now there is one thing that bugs me about the Corsair, I do not really like the cable design, but that is really just a minor issue.

So really from what people are saying and what I kind of figured anyways I should go with the Corsair.

Old March 26, 2011, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

I just installed my P8P67 Deluxe inside my ATCS840...god loves the removable motherboard tray!
The USB 3.0 break-out box is really nice and fits well in my case...even in my big case, the cord is long enough to reach onto the motherboard..

I PMed the Deluxe for $220, and I think it's worth it (PLX chip,USB 3.0 front panel adapter, 3 PCI-E 16X, boot event reporter)
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)