Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2011, 11:19 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I would also suggest G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4 gig 1600 ram kit. I bought mine at direct canada for $90. it was a great buy.
Old March 18, 2011, 11:35 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by richuwo11 View Post
As for overclocking SB, I've been told that RAM is not linked with the CPU anymore, so it doesn't matter what speed you run your RAM at since it will not influence your clocks at all (someone plz correct me if I'm wrong).
Not from any hard facts but from my understanding the memory controller has been integrated on the SB processor itself. Shouldn't that mean that is a tight link between the processor and the RAMs? So my guess is that the speed of the RAM matters and will scale according to the processor speed.
Old March 18, 2011, 11:52 AM
MVP

I'm currently using the Corsair XMS3 1.5v 1600mhz 4gb kit and was able to tighten the timings to 6-7-6-21 on stock voltage stable (was also able to push it to 2000mhz on 1.65v but since i dont rly need to go so high rathered keep the voltage stock and go for tighter timings). Thats on a 40$ kit, pretty sure the 8gb equivalent kit shouldn't cost anymore than twice the price and if its as flexible as mine well heck why buy anything else?
Old March 18, 2011, 02:11 PM
Allstar

Going SLi with the GTX 580 or any high end card for that matter, I'd stay away from the cheap motherboards that has 2 slots for each card such as the Pro and get one with 3 slots per card.
Old March 18, 2011, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
Going SLi with the GTX 580 or any high end card for that matter, I'd stay away from the cheap motherboards that has 2 slots for each card such as the Pro and get one with 3 slots per card.
Care to elaborate on that? I just don't get what you mean by 2 slots for each card vs 3 slots per card.

Old March 18, 2011, 02:46 PM
MVP

He means the spacing, if the 16x slots are only every 2nd slot when u use twin slot cards they wont have place to suck in air from to cool down. not to mention u would be limited in ur selection as alot of the newer high end cards are actually 3slots like the 570 phantom and the higher end directCUII cards...

Edit: or maybe thats not what he means cause he said 2slot boards like the pro but the pro has 3 slot spacing...
Old March 18, 2011, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ah, I guess that would make sense, but like you said the pro does give 3 slots between the first and second pcie slot. I think I'm going to go with the deluxe, but I'm just waiting on a price on it, if it is good then I will get it.

As for the memory I guess I'll go with the Corsair as I have read they seem to OC well and plus no one has said anything to make think I should go with something else.

Old March 18, 2011, 11:24 PM
Allstar

Asus P8P67-M Pro right? Check out the spacing on the left image and then the Deluxe on the right of your screen.
Attached Images

Old March 18, 2011, 11:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Read the first post. He wanted a Asus P8P67 Pro and not Asus P8P67-M Pro. There is no major difference between the Pro and the Deluxe. The only apparent difference between the Pro and the Deluxe is that the Deluxe has a USB 3.0 front panel. But he is going for the Deluxe anyway.
Asus P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0 w/ Dual DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, PCI-E, Quad CrossFireX / SLI at Memory Express Computers

Old March 19, 2011, 12:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No I am not going for the mATX version, I want the full version.

As for differences between the Pro and Deluxe there are:

Power/reset button on the board
LED error code indicator
16+2 power design
USB3 front panel box
clear CMOS button
Additional heatsink
Realtek ALC889 (Pro uses ALC892)
dual gigabit ethernet ports

I think that is about it. Then there was this review I have looked at and it shows the deluxe giving out better performance. Not much better but better, none the less.
ASUS P67 Motherboards: P8P67 Deluxe and P8P67 Pro - Bjorn3D.com

I would say that if it was without the USB3 front box then I don't think the rest of the upgrade are worth the extra $50. Now that said once you add the USB to the other additions then it begins to look worth it.