Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2011, 01:24 PM
Rookie

This is the spec I settled on, and the client decided to go ahead with it. I'm building it tomorrow when all the parts are arriving. I would have chosen Sandy bridge/i5 but it would have been over budget for the client, after taking into consideration what I charge for building a PC and installing software, etc.

Coolermaster Elite 430 All Black Interior Mid Tower Case with Side Window
PowerColor HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DP Out PCI-E Graphics Cards
MSI 870-C45 AMD 770 Socket AM3 GB LAN 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 unbuffered
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.2 GHz 6MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler
Corsair 600W CX PSU - 2x PCI-E 6x SATA
Western Digital WD6401AALS 640GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM Caviar Black
Samsung SH-S223 22x DVDRW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
(x2) Xilence Black 120mm Case Fan - 4pin with 3pin adaptor
Old March 21, 2011, 02:37 AM
Rookie

Update:

I built the PC, as planned. But it didn't all go smoothly.

Got everything in, powered it on. The 1st time it was ever powered on, a mosfet on the MSI motherboard burnt out and smoke bellowed out of the case. Nasty. Very disappointed with the MSI board, and it reconfirms what I have always thought about MSI.

Luckily I had a spare ASUS board that was compatible, which I used instead. Some pictures of the build/finished product:

And some screenshots showing the temps at idle and load:

Old March 21, 2011, 02:50 AM
Banned
F@H

interesting. the c45 is not exactly a monster in terms of onboard components,filtering and such wise, but it shouldnt burn out like that without a heavy oc or such.
probably your luck..good that you had a backup,just curious as to why? :)
Old March 21, 2011, 03:52 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
interesting. the c45 is not exactly a monster in terms of onboard components,filtering and such wise, but it shouldnt burn out like that without a heavy oc or such.
probably your luck..good that you had a backup,just curious as to why? :)
I build PCs and do PC repairs for a living, so I always have some parts around. The asus board was bought by mistake for another build a month ago and its just luck that I needed it for this build.

It burnt out straight away - could smell it within seconds of turning it on, and then tons of smoke came out. At first I thought a fan had burnt out, but upon closer inspection I noticed that mosfet.
Old March 21, 2011, 06:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Why is a quad core processor only showing three cores?

For a guy who claims to build pcs for a living, you might want to invest in some black/white zip ties to make the cabling neater. :)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old March 21, 2011, 08:57 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
Why is a quad core processor only showing three cores?

For a guy who claims to build pcs for a living, you might want to invest in some black/white zip ties to make the cabling neater. :)
The board is meant for 95W CPUs but this is a 120W CPU. The customer didn't want to wait for a replacement motherboard so opted for the spare board I had. I disabled a core for stability reasons. Not ideal, but that's the way it worked out.

There are more than 30 zip ties in the machine. There is little room in that case to accomodate for all the cables that PSU has. If the customer had a larger budget, I would of used a better case and a modular PSU.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:17 AM
MVP

That sucks, I've been using MSI boards and GPUs for years with no issues until recently where my last MSI board died within 30mins...guess it was my first budget board, the NF750-G55...
Old March 21, 2011, 11:09 AM
MVP

My System Specs

You seem to have bad luck with MSI boards. I don't seem to have any bad luck with any hardware hence I do not favor any brands and believe that you just got a bad board. At least the problem was rectified from the start and not when your customer is using it. Interestingly MSI was given the name 'Missing Something Inside' but I don't believe it too much really.

You could do a little bit more cable management there or is it that it is so because you wanted to do a quick run to test everything works first? Usually I put any excess cables at the back of the casing just to hide the clutter. Cable ties are god send for cable management.
Old March 22, 2011, 01:58 AM
Rookie

No room in this case to hide cables 'round the back. It's not the case I'd use if I was choosing.

I dunno, I've come across a lot of older MSI boards that are troublesome. I generally think ASUS/Gigabyte are a safer bet.