Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2011, 04:11 PM
Banned
F@H

check this out : AMD Radeon HD 6950 1GB Review

small but crucial difference. for the 20 bucks or whatever price difference, the 2gb all the way
perhaps youll score older stock, and the bios mod works? either way you'll be fine. gl with the build maite
Old March 15, 2011, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Also, aren't the 2GB models still almost a guaranteed unlock, while any new 1GB models coming onto shelves are locked?
Old March 15, 2011, 05:50 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
Also, aren't the 2GB models still almost a guaranteed unlock, while any new 1GB models coming onto shelves are locked?
ALL REFERENCE PCB 6950 2gb are unlockable and all 1gb models are locked... So basically if you are getting a 2gb card you know has a reference PCB you're pretty much assured of an unlock!
Old March 15, 2011, 06:08 PM
Banned
F@H

early ones ?(2gb) yes, but one cannot say guaranteed.

very very important, USE the 6950 trick, not the 6970, the latter can brick one of your bioses.
Old March 15, 2011, 07:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

To my knowledge AMD permanently disabled the unlocking a month after they heard that many were trying unlocking it. They have locked it in their revision of the HD6950 and should not be possible to be unlocked in any way.

The only HD6950 2GB that could still be unlocked still as far as I know is the Power Color HD6950 2GB but I've heard that you will only get close to similar results and will not be the same compared to getting an older HD6950 and unlock it to a HD6970.

Pretty much guaranteed that the 1GB version is locked. Still wouldn't get the 2GB version over the 1GB version because there is not much performance increase to justify the extra 20 bucks.
Old March 15, 2011, 09:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Okay, wow, lots of random discussion... Anyways,

2500k is best value for money. Hyper-threading will add 10-15% performance (sometimes more) for applications than can use 8 threads... really, what uses 8 threads? Stick with that.

RAM, great deal $10/GB is the low end of the pricing for DDR3, after you pass 9-9-9-27 @ 1333 Mhz, you start to plateau your performance for ram. Stepping up to 9-9-9-27 @ 1600 Mhz will only offer 2-4% increase in performance, stepping up to 7-7-7-24 @ 1600 may offer another 1-2% performance, etc, get my point? What you've picked is pretty much the most performance you can get out of RAM.

GTX 560 or 460 in SLI will beat the performance of a 580 (there are a few cases where the SLI 460 will not), so if you're big on buying nvidia, they are your best options (560 = $230 on sale, 460 = $160-170 on sale).

Still, from everything I've seen, the 6950s scale amazingly well (much better than SLI 570/580 scaling)! With this in mind, for single GPU setups, the 6950 1GB is worth about $20 more than the 560 (performance wise).
Old March 17, 2011, 09:01 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks again for all the replies!

Just to post an update, I ended up going with the i5 2500K, the Asus Sabertooth P67, and the Asus GTX560Ti's in SLI. After considering all the comments here and reading lots of reviews and such, I felt this would fit my needs and was within my budget.

I just need to wait for Purolator to drop off my RAM and then it's time to build!
Old March 17, 2011, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wicked build man make sure you tell us how it turns out :)
Old March 23, 2011, 07:46 PM
Top Prospect

Hey guys! For those still following, I have an update.

Last weekend, I basically put together my system minus my RAM as it was still in the mail. This way, I could just drop in the memory once it arrives and get installing Windows 7 right away. So, on Monday my G.Skill RAM showed up from newegg and I was quite excited.

When I got home, I installed the memory real quick and powered on. Unfortunately, the LED beside the RAM slots was lit and my system would not post.

When I bought the motherboard, I got the guys at Memory Express to give it a quick test and all was good they tell me. So, I'm guessing my DIMMs were DOA. I didn't really want to wait another week for a replacement set to come, so I just bit the bullet and got a set of Patriot Divison2 Viper Extreme DDR3 modules at Memory Express. I've never run Patriot memory before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. But, the timings were decent at 8-9-8-24 at 1600 MHz. So, I suppose they are a bit of an upgrade, but they were $110 instead.

I got them home and sure enough, my system POSTed right way with no problems...so, it looks like I got to send back the G.Skill set for a refund.

Just as I get things going, my router decides it would like to roll over and die and does just that. It's very important that the wife has internet access, otherwise she'll have nothing else to do and bother me while I'm working on my new PC. So, I'm back out the door to get a new router too...yay!

So, I have spent the last few days getting everything up and running. I have now got Windows installed on my RAID0 setup and it runs very well...no issues thus far. In general, everything feels nice and stable.

This weekend, with a bit more time, I will be doing some overclocking so it's stock speeds for now.

Lastly, any "new build" thread wouldn't be complete without pictures...enjoy!

Here is my Noctua NH-D14 cooler installed. The cooler installed just fine and had no interference issues with the motherboard. Also, for those wondering, the '1156' mounting brackets work fine on the 1155 motherboards since the holes are the same size and distance apart.

Attachment 13380

Here is a view of the motherboard installed in the case. No clearance problems fitting in the HAF-X.

Attachment 13381

Here is a view of all components installed except the RAM.

Attachment 13382

Here is a close up view of the cards installed (The X-Fi Forte on top and the two Asus GTX560Ti's). I should not that the 'Assistant' fan on the motherboard will block any PCIe 1x card in the top slot when it's installed. I thought about installing the sound card in between graphics cards, but with that it would block a good portion of the fans on the upper card. So, I'll leave it at the top 1x slot for now and see how the temps work out.

Attachment 13383

This is a view of the interior of my case with all the parts installed.

Attachment 13384

Also, wanted to note that the D14 (the metal fins) will block only the one DIMM slot closest to the CPU. With the fan on it will cover all 4 slots. The tall-ish heat sinks on the Patriot memory fit under the D14 with no problems. They would even fit under the fins with room to spare, however, I don't think you would be able to get the RAM in after the cooler is installed. So, anyone out there running a similar combination, this is just something to note.

Attachment 13385

If anyone has any questions about my build, feel free to ask! In the meantime, I haven't done any gaming in over a week and I'm going through withdrawal.

Cheers

Last edited by francisw19; July 11, 2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old March 23, 2011, 08:14 PM
MVP

SO SMEXY, more mobos need to have covers like the p67 sabertooth!