Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2011, 09:44 AM
Rookie

Default High-end i5 build

Looking for general advice regarding the components chosen.
1) The Corsair memory is a pack of two 4GB modules, and I'd be buying two of these for 16GB RAM.
However I'm undecided on whether to upgrade the RAM to Dominator series with the better cooling. Any thoughts on this? And also, any thoughts on 1333 or 1600 MHz?

2) The motherboard I'm also undecided on. I would of preferred to not use a gaming board, but it does get very good reviews and has a lot of SATA 3 6 Gb/s ports which is nice.

The 450GB drive is intended for OS/apps.
The 640GB drive is intended for files.
I'll also add an existing WD 1TB RE3 SATAII drive as an internal backup solution.

3) I also can't decide on whether I should go for a PCI or PCIe based wireless adapter.

4) My biggest concern is power consumption - if I did build this system, it would replace an early 2006 iMac which only uses around 60 watts even when watching YouTube (obviously its no comparison to the hardware listed here, but I would like to aim for low watts if possible at all). It would be interesting to have a better idea of the realistic wattage this build would use at idle and load.

Fractal Design Black Pearl Define R3 Case
ASROCK SKT-1155 FATAL1TY P67 PROFESSIONAL S/L
Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 XMS3 8GB Desktop Memory
XFX HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Dual DP Out PCI-E Graphics Card
WD 450GB VELOCIRAPTOR 2.5 INCH 10KRPM 32MB SATA 6Gb/S
WD 640GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Caviar Black Hard Drive - 7200rpm 64MB Cache
Corsair CWCH50-1 Cooling Hydro Series H50
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Corsair 750W HX Modular PSU
Pioneer DVRS19LBK 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive
Cisco Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter

Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old March 13, 2011, 10:40 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

#1 make sure the ram is on the supported list. Unless things have changed...when you populate all four slots things can get a little goofy. Make SURE the ram will work with that board.
#2 I have nothing against asrock...but the brand name boards have 2-3 year warranties, asrock has 1 year. Longer warranties with Asus, Gigabyte etc.
#3 I really hate wireless...but I dought it will make any difference. if you are moving large files regularly...go wired if an option.
#4 Power consumption. Lose the VELOCIRAPTOR...go SSD. More ram equals more power draw. The 6970 is gonna chew up some juice. Really this is not a "low watt" system. It is not going to be a power hog or anything. I suspect you will be in the 300 range loaded (playing a high end game) 120-150 idle. It is hard to answer that question.

Hope that helps
Old March 13, 2011, 10:44 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure to understand...

Quote:
Fractal Design Black Pearl Define R3 Case
--> i like it -.-
Quote:
ASROCK SKT-1155 FATAL1TY P67 PROFESSIONAL S/L
--> isn't that a gaming mobo, hence the fatality?
Quote:
Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 XMS3 8GB Desktop Memory
--> 1 kit is enough unless you're doing some CAD or heavy stuff.
Quote:
XFX HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Dual DP Out PCI-E Graphics Card
--> NO WAY you're going to reach 60w when idling.
Quote:
WD 450GB VELOCIRAPTOR 2.5 INCH 10KRPM 32MB SATA 6Gb/S
Quote:
WD 640GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Caviar Black Hard Drive - 7200rpm 64MB Cache
Quote:
Corsair CWCH50-1 Cooling Hydro Series H50
--> ok if you overclock, -->*if you overclock, you'll get near 200w or more when idling if you disable power saving features in bios
Quote:
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
-->*nice CPU
Quote:
Corsair 750W HX Modular PSU
--> this psu is getting old.. yet still good. look at this : Silverstone Strider
Quote:
Pioneer DVRS19LBK 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive
Quote:
Cisco Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter
You also can take a look to some SSD as boot drive.
Old March 13, 2011, 11:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

you don't really say what you intend to do with that build, so it's hard to say

don't pay premium because fatality stick his name on that mobo, get a P8P67 or gigabyte ud3-ud4

the 6970 is not really a good buy, the increase in performance doesn't justify the price increase, why not a 6950? do you game? resolution?

also you want to save power and yet you buy "black" drives for storage? and a 10k drive?, why not a green and a SSD?

my oced 2600k+gtx580 idles @ 140w with all the power saving features turned on, cpu fully loaded is ~320w
so i guess 100-120w is pretty much the best you can aim for with a system like that.

Last edited by mkultra; March 13, 2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you're worried about power an SSD will save you a whole bunch over that velociraptor.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You aren't building with power saving in mind... 16GB of RAM will use more power, but getting better ram will allow you to run it at lower voltages at the settings you need (running @ 1333 Mhz CAS 9 should be great).

SSD is going to be the best power-saving feature and you should be investing in green drives if you really want power saving (a green drive can save over 50% energy compared to the black and the 32MB cache ones are still decent speeds).

You aren't buying a low power CPU. You could also look into gold or platinum rated PSUs if you really are uptight about power saving, but if the cost is too much, it only makes a difference of 5-15w anyways. Although idle power draw is pretty low for the 6970, it's not that power efficient compared to the 5870, which is still a strong card (just not as dx 11 advanced).

I'll stop rambling now and just conclude by saying you need to re-define what you want. You're not looking at power savings based on your build, but yet you say you want to draw little to no power.
Old March 13, 2011, 02:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

If you're looking at power saving in an i5 build, you may want to go with this over the 2500K.
WD Black-series drives and/or Velociraptors will NOT get you anywhere in a power-saving build. As previously mentioned, get an SSD and a at least a 1TB Green-series drive or if you have the cash just get a big SSD.
Just because some gamer slaps their name all over the product doesn't mean it's any good. Fatality got paid to have his name used so ASRock could jack up the price of their board. You can game on pretty much any good-quality board, regardless of specified "gaming-orientation" or not. Look for features rather than endorsements.
Definitely go with an 80PLUS rated PSU of at least silver level, if not gold or better.
As for wireless adapters try to avoid wireless with desktops. If you can just go wired but if you can't either bus is fine. It depends more on the quality of the card than its interface although logic would lean towards the PCIe.
Old March 13, 2011, 07:14 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

power savings = slower

Non power savings = fast, better performance
Old March 13, 2011, 07:23 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well....at least we are all in agreement. If you tell us what the computer will be used for, we can probably help you out wilth more info.
Old March 14, 2011, 01:09 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the comments so far. I'm not aiming for anywhere as low as the iMac gets, that's not realistic. But 150W idle with what I've chosen sounds pretty good really - I was expecting it to be higher.

I'll definitely look into changing the mobo, I had my doubts.

I didn't say what it will be used for because I use my computer for many tasks. I'd like to be able to play modern games on high graphics settings. I also use the Adobe CS suite and want to be able to encode DVDs quickly.

The only thing putting me off an SSD is the price per GB if choosing a newer 6 GB/s model rather than the old SATAII ones. I want quite a large boot drive so I don't have to worry about uninstalling large games if I want to install more.

I didn't go for WD Green because, from what I've read, the wattage doesn't really differ that greatly - and I want the reliability/performance of the Black drives. (I know I know, can't have so much power if I want low watts...) If I'm wrong, please do tell. :)

The Corsair 750 is actually Gold rated, I think that only recently happened. I am limited in what PSUs I can choose from because UK retailers don't stock a lot of other brands. (last time I checked)

I've always used wireless on my iMac (although technically its just laptop parts inside so it can't count as a Desktop) and I've never had any issues. Wired isn't really viable because of the layout of the house and where the phone sockets are for the ADSL line unfortunately.

Does anyone have any idea of the actual idle power draw for the 6970 vs 5870?