Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2011, 04:51 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshcUK View Post

I didn't say what it will be used for because I use my computer for many tasks. I'd like to be able to play modern games on high graphics settings. I also use the Adobe CS suite and want to be able to encode DVDs quickly.

The only thing putting me off an SSD is the price per GB if choosing a newer 6 GB/s model rather than the old SATAII ones. I want quite a large boot drive so I don't have to worry about uninstalling large games if I want to install more.

I didn't go for WD Green because, from what I've read, the wattage doesn't really differ that greatly - and I want the reliability/performance of the Black drives. (I know I know, can't have so much power if I want low watts...) If I'm wrong, please do tell. :)

The Corsair 750 is actually Gold rated, I think that only recently happened. I am limited in what PSUs I can choose from because UK retailers don't stock a lot of other brands. (last time I checked)

I've always used wireless on my iMac (although technically its just laptop parts inside so it can't count as a Desktop) and I've never had any issues. Wired isn't really viable because of the layout of the house and where the phone sockets are for the ADSL line unfortunately.

Does anyone have any idea of the actual idle power draw for the 6970 vs 5870?

Is this a hackintosh build? If budget allows, 8 gb is the way to go. Especially if your dealing with RAW images. Then again, I believe this is a good time for buying DDR3 ram.

In terms of reliability... Personal experience WD have been reliable for me *knock on wood*. I have a mix of WD green drive and Seagate green drive running almost 24/7 on my server, and the first one to fail is my 2 TB seagate drive. Im not knocking SG, but this is the second time SG failed on me.

How about those power line adaptors? Too expensive?
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old March 14, 2011, 05:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
The only thing putting me off an SSD is the price per GB...

I didn't go for WD Green because...

The Corsair 750 is actually Gold rated...

I've always used wireless on my iMac ...

Does anyone have any idea of the actual idle power draw for the 6970 vs 5870?
If you have the money to spend on an SSD, it's 100% worth it (60GB recommended, 40GB minimum). It may be worth holding off and waiting for a month or two to see how the new controllers and NAND shake up the market (and wait for the bugs to get out).

That's fine to not go for the WD green, but I use a WAASD5000 (or something like that) 500GB green drive and haven't had any major issues. I will say that there are tasks where you notice it being slower, but most gaming doesn't have any serious impact.

Yeah, they did just recently update the 750tx...

Heck, I bought a USB N wireless adapter for $15 on sale and I got great benchmarks on speedtest.net and pingtest.net. I'm gonna spend the extra $12 to get an internal USB header so I can throw the card inside my case. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think that a PCI (over PCIe) will not saturate wireless N.

HD 5870 has an idle draw of about 27w.

"with the larger, more power hungry 6970 drawing around 30W more than the 5870." -anantech
I'm not very familiar with comparing ATI products, but it looks like the 6970 is about 15% faster than the 5870. The biggest difference is the load numbers, the 6970 uses about 33% more power at full load than the 5870.
Old March 14, 2011, 06:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I've always used wireless on my iMac (although technically its just laptop parts inside so it can't count as a Desktop) and I've never had any issues. Wired isn't really viable because of the layout of the house and where the phone sockets are for the ADSL line unfortunately.
If you could, I'd look into powerline adapters, I find it works great.