Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 7, 2011, 09:11 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default 4 vid cards

I am building a folding rig. Putting 4 MSI GTX 560 twin frozr in a quad crossfire board. I am worried about cooking the cards. They will run 24/7. Anyone had any experience with this type of setup?
Old March 7, 2011, 09:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

What board will you be using that has the spacing to hold 4 560 Ti as they each take up 2 slots. Also, what case will you be using as well as the twin frozr heat sink dumps the hot air into the case.
Old March 7, 2011, 09:21 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm at work....will look it up
Old March 7, 2011, 09:27 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

It ia a MSI 790FX-GD70 ATX AM3 790FX.
Old March 7, 2011, 09:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It can be done. Your Best bet is to run the setup on a Test Bench VS case.
Its been done many times before with all sorts of Inferno Cards from nVidia.
Note worthy is the setup from 3.0Charlie here who used 4 GX2's side by side for folding and he didn't cook a single one.
Or SSwilson who has used a combination of GT's, GTX's etc etc on a test bench setup.

That would be the optimal route to go,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 7, 2011, 09:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I definitely would second going with a test bench as the open air flow will allow your cards to not over heat as they will just push the air out into the room rather then have it trapped or recycled back into the case. Its why i went test bench even for my sli set up (also the fact i can stagger the cards in pcie 1 and 3 slots to not choke the primary card as well). Also you can place a few case fans right ontop of the GPUs and have it either blow air in out out from ontop of them.
Old March 7, 2011, 09:47 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

lol...Cardboard box it is then.....
Old March 7, 2011, 11:57 AM
Banned
F@H

problem with those msi's is the hot air is not necessarily all pushed out the case so it will be pritty warm with 4 gpus,lol.

if you want to put it in a case, then find something like a 922 from cooler master as a minimum

wait, you already bought the cards right?
Old March 7, 2011, 12:26 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
problem with those msi's is the hot air is not necessarily all pushed out the case so it will be pritty warm with 4 gpus,lol.

if you want to put it in a case, then find something like a 922 from cooler master as a minimum

wait, you already bought the cards right?
Yup, they are on their way. I,m kinda thinking of putting them in a case and laying the case in its side. Leave the side off and put 2 120mm fans either blowing on the cards or away from the cards....shrugs. Need 1800 mhz shaders....sizzle...sizzle...
Old March 7, 2011, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sadly, the GTX 560 does not come in a blower style fan... imo, that is the best (after water-blocks) way to cool multi GPU setups. Getting a GPU that pushes the air through the GPU and out the rear of the case really helps keep temps of the cards down, where the 560 will blow it's hot air into the PCB of the next card.. Still, you can 'affix' case fans to draw some of the air away from the cards or to push cool air towards them. You could also look at down-clocking them slightly to improve temps, as 1k ppd isn't going to be the end of the world.

I hope you realize that you CANNOT put any of those cards in SLI because your mobo does not support SLI. Even if you did get an SLI ready mobo, you can only use 2 of those GPUs in SLI and the other two would be 'independent' for F@H (one could be used for PhysX). If you are into gaming and wanted maximum gaming performance as well as folding, it would be worth trying to get some GTX 570s @ $300-310 since you can put them in 3-way SLI (you'd need an SLI capable mobo though) and then throw in a single GTX 560 for the last slot F@H.