Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2011, 06:47 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting pix...the 9800gx2,s need 2 dummy plugs? Speaking of that...do you need dummy plugs in win 7? Also I do the -bigadv folding on a i7 @ 3.8ghz and my 2600k will be in this week (fingers crossed) I must admit, part of why I like GPUs is when I check my points there is always an update, makes me feel like i actually acomplished something. _bigadv get ewws and ahhs from poeple..But I dislike the update 0 thing in the middle. Don't know if anyone will understand that, but it is why I fold on GPUs also. This may sound strange but if it was just CPUs I probably never would have started folding, let alone spent this much on it. Hope someone understands that....and if not....fold on with them -bigadv rigs, it's all for some fun and a good cause.

edit: now that I sat back and read that...sounds like someone who forgot their meds....0_o
Old March 8, 2011, 07:06 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

rofl

The plugs I believe are not needed anymore. I have not folded using GPUs for quite some time. I'll let another folder chime in.
Old March 8, 2011, 07:27 PM
MVP

so many things wrong with this...the 560ti (or atleast the twin frozr edition and most others as well) can only be used in 2way sli. That is SLI not crossfire, that motherboard only supports crossfire with ati cards, you can't SLI nvidia cards on that board so ur limited to only 1 card if u go the nvidia route on that board (2 if u dedicate one to physx)!
Old March 8, 2011, 07:31 PM
MVP

oops didnt read correctly...was wondering y no one had called this out in 2 pages lol. thought it was for gaming not just using the raw computing power...yeah it can be done and the twin frozr design is probably one of the most potent at running off the back of another card. it chokes way less than any of the blower shrouded designs!
Old March 8, 2011, 08:09 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGreen View Post
oops didnt read correctly...was wondering y no one had called this out in 2 pages lol. thought it was for gaming not just using the raw computing power...yeah it can be done and the twin frozr design is probably one of the most potent at running off the back of another card. it chokes way less than any of the blower shrouded designs!
And I was just ready to blast back....lol
Old March 8, 2011, 08:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have used multi-GPU setups for F@H in windows 7 and you do not need a dummy plug. For some weird reason, you will see a reduction of about 5-10% PPD for most of the cards compared to running a single GPU at a time... Nobody is really sure of a permanent way to fix this, but it's pretty minor anyways. (i.e. not all GPUs run at 99% when you fold on multiple GPU at once)
Old March 8, 2011, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGreen View Post
so many things wrong with this...the 560ti (or atleast the twin frozr edition and most others as well) can only be used in 2way sli. That is SLI not crossfire, that motherboard only supports crossfire with ati cards, you can't SLI nvidia cards on that board so ur limited to only 1 card if u go the nvidia route on that board (2 if u dedicate one to physx)!
When your folding it doesn;t matter
Old March 9, 2011, 07:55 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I dug up an old aluminium case. Did some drilling...a little cutting...waved my magic wand, and hopefully it will work. Gonna add 2 100 cfm 120mm fans to give the cards some fresh air. Hopefully when I overclock the cards there will not be an "magic smoke" If it works i'll post some pix. It won't be pretty, but it should work.
Old March 10, 2011, 08:15 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Rig is up and folding. Ran through the night...all seems well. The hottest card is 73c-74c. Shaders are at 1780 mhz..they will go to at least 1900mhz...but I don't think temps will really let me get there. I'm gonna play with the cooling to see if I can crank them up a bit more. I think as long as I stay under 80C on the hottest card things should be ok for the long run.
Old March 12, 2011, 10:38 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have been moving fans around, looking for the best setup...so the fans are not screwed down yet. I have been wondering how hot was to hot with these cards...my hottest card right now is 72-73c. Last night one of the fans came loose and fel down . Two of the cards were in the low 80s c and one was 86c. Don't know when the fan fell...but at least I know that there is room for overclocking now. All 4 cards are now at 950 core, 1900 shaders. hottest card is now 75c.