Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 7, 2011, 12:52 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Sadly, the GTX 560 does not come in a blower style fan... imo, that is the best (after water-blocks) way to cool multi GPU setups. Getting a GPU that pushes the air through the GPU and out the rear of the case really helps keep temps of the cards down, where the 560 will blow it's hot air into the PCB of the next card.. Still, you can 'affix' case fans to draw some of the air away from the cards or to push cool air towards them. You could also look at down-clocking them slightly to improve temps, as 1k ppd isn't going to be the end of the world.

I hope you realize that you CANNOT put any of those cards in SLI because your mobo does not support SLI. Even if you did get an SLI ready mobo, you can only use 2 of those GPUs in SLI and the other two would be 'independent' for F@H (one could be used for PhysX). If you are into gaming and wanted maximum gaming performance as well as folding, it would be worth trying to get some GTX 570s @ $300-310 since you can put them in 3-way SLI (you'd need an SLI capable mobo though) and then throw in a single GTX 560 for the last slot F@H.
This is a folding box, gonna have a power and network cable. Hoping for 60,000 PPD...we'll see I guess.
Old March 7, 2011, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-Fuzzy View Post
This is a folding box, gonna have a power and network cable. Hoping for 60,000 PPD...we'll see I guess.
Okay, that's not an issue then. Are you going to be folding -bigadv then? -bigadv with bonus points (passcode) on a very highly clocked CPU is going to get waaay more PPD than GPUs. I've heard a 2600k around 4.5 Ghz will get 30-40k PPD by itself on -bigadv. (don't quote me on that)
Old March 7, 2011, 03:21 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have a i7 920 that does about 24000 PPD and a 2600K on the way. I like the GPU folding though...it's fold and forget. -bigadv always seems to have issues...bonus points vanish...system lockups....and stuff. Don't get me wrong, big points for -bigadv. But I can honestly say the only points I have ever lost with the GPUs was not getting work units and thats not the cards fault.
Old March 7, 2011, 03:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I thought you were running two GTX 560 Ti... not four O_o

And where the hell did you come from? You were MIA for a good year or so at both Legit Reviews and HWC LOL
Old March 7, 2011, 05:16 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I thought you were running two GTX 560 Ti... not four O_o

And where the hell did you come from? You were MIA for a good year or so at both Legit Reviews and HWC LOL
the bug bit me again. And it will be six 560s.
Old March 7, 2011, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So true... I understand (sort of) why they give ridiculous bonus points to CPU -bigadv, but I still feel a little burned at times how low GPU PPD is, but then again, you've nicely summed up how you can instantly lose 24k points from a single WU going EUA or something (or just get giving a non -bigadv WU).
Old March 8, 2011, 05:06 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm...I guess no case it will be. I just realized I do not have a case in my house that will fit 4 dual slot cards.
Old March 8, 2011, 05:25 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
So true... I understand (sort of) why they give ridiculous bonus points to CPU -bigadv, but I still feel a little burned at times how low GPU PPD is, but then again, you've nicely summed up how you can instantly lose 24k points from a single WU going EUA or something (or just get giving a non -bigadv WU).
I disagree. GPU folding is fire and forget - and great for 1st time folders. Hence the "low" ppd. In pricing too, some nice numbers can be posted with some "low end" cards.

bigadv folding, on the other hand... make it work and you will be rewarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-Fuzzy View Post
Hmmm...I guess no case it will be. I just realized I do not have a case in my house that will fit 4 dual slot cards.
Running multiple cards on a test bench is probably your best bet. With proper cooling, it's very easy to control the temps. Make the HSFs run at 100%, and slap a few fans around to make sure all GPUs have enough cold air.

Some of the setups I've done. I never killed a card like that (oddly, the only card that died was water-cooled - go figure).

Dual 9800GX2s, dual 8800GTS 512

Quad 9800GX2s.
Old March 8, 2011, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No, they don't base PPD based on how difficult or expensive running that client is. PPD is based on how useful they find the work to their goals. -bigadv is loaded with bonus points because it's the most important WUs at advancing their research. Everything else is still important, but not as important. Nothing to do with setup.
Old March 8, 2011, 06:10 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Again, I disagree. Everything to do with setup. Improper setup will mean you may never fold the bigadv within the prefered time, and you'll never add the bonus to your points.

Don't get me wrong, it's for Science. But it's for fun too, otherwise Stanford would not have implemented a points system.

Anyway, this does not help the OP at all. Back to topic.