Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2011, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso View Post
The case is a Silverstone Grandia GD05 with 3 stock fans, and the motherboard is a MSI 890GXM-G65. The case does not have an extra 5 in bay. The specs I used came from a Maximum PC article, so I trust there is a way to do it.

I appreciate your interest.

Regards
If you find those fans to be loud at full RPM, the Gelids are going to be far worse for you.

I would recommend undervolting via the 7 volt trick directly from your PSU. Try that first, see if you find the noise acceptable, then check to see if the temperatures are ok. If both work out, you don't have to spend a dime.

You could also remove the fan filters, but then you'd have to clean out the dust every once in a while depending on how dusty your environment is. But with the fan filters internally mounted, you'd have to open your case every so often anyhow.
Old March 5, 2011, 10:51 AM
MVP
F@H

7 volt trick is the way to go! Try this first it will cost you nothing! If you don't know how to to it, here is a good link:
Get 12V, 7V or 5V for your Fans | silentpcreview.com
Old March 5, 2011, 11:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I wouldn't daisy chain any fans onto a single header (I know it can be done) but still thats probably asking too much out of what it is (espically if the board is not higher end).
If your HTPC has room or a 5" bay I would invest in a fan controller as one option to help keep noise in check. Otherwise a good Case fan to use would be the Gelid TC Fan.

NCIX.com - Buy GELID Solutions GELID Silent 12TC 750-1500RPM 120MM Thermal Control Fan 58CFM 12-25.5DBA HDB 3PIN - Gelid Solutions Ltd. - FN-TX12-15 - in Canada

Used these on multiple silent builds and they have worked out fine thus far.

Regards,
ST
I agree with Gelid. I have one and it is VERY quiet and is VERY good for cooling.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old March 7, 2011, 10:56 AM
Banned

I'm crazy about Noctua myself but they dont come cheap, otherwhise I love the Scythe S-Flex series.

Tags
motherboard , power supply , systems fans