Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2011, 10:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Building Another Rig....yay!!!

Well, my old P4 in my wifes store finally bit the big one, so she asked me if I can build her a new one.....my reply.....does a Bear shvt in the woods?!.....Hell, I get to spend her $$$ on PC Parts for a change.....and I'll be using some of my "Closet Spares".....so here's what I'm putting together for her....

....and yes...I know its Overkill, but I just cannot seem to buy too cheap...hhaaha.

CPU: I7 920 (spare in my closet)
HSF: CM Hyper 212 (not planning on pushing this 920 C1 hard at all...maybe 3.2 - 3.4)
Mobo: Evga X58 767 NCIX.com - Buy EVGA X58 SLI3 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 3PCIE-16 2PCI-E1 1PCI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 GBLAN Motherboard - eVGA - 131-GT-E767-TR - in Canada
GPU: Evga GTX 560Ti SC
RAM: 6GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000 Mhz 8-8-8-24 (spare in my closet)
SSD: Intel 80GB G2 for OS (spare in my closet)
HDD: WD 640GB Black (spare in my closet)
PSU: Corsair HX 1kW (spare in my closet)
Case: CM 690 II Basic ...thought $69 was pretty good..NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster CM 690 II Basic ATX Mid Tower Case Black 4X5.25 6X3.5INT Front USB eSATA Audio *No PSU* - COOLERMASTER - RC-692-KKN3 - in Canada

4 x 120mm YL Fans

In a nutshell I had t order her:
Mobo $200
GPU $260
Case $69
HSF $24
OS $93
Fans $70

Spent just a tad under $800 with PM'ing....

Parts should be at home when I get home from work this Wed.....love playing with new Parts and building...hope it goes as smooth as my Primary

Will post up some pics when I get going on it...

Old February 28, 2011, 10:42 PM
Banned
F@H

mr bob youre mad lol, how many people have that for main rig, let a lone an email and browsing rig?

still, gl with the build and let it fold!!
Old February 28, 2011, 10:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

still dirt cheap compared to your rig :)

Although, I can see how the fans and (probably) the GPU are overkill... otherwise, if we only look at the 'new' parts you are buying, I don't see anything super unreasonable.
Old March 1, 2011, 06:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Awesome spare list. You probably need to stockpile again.
Old March 1, 2011, 08:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ I got tired of selling off my spare parts so cheap...and I kinda figured that 7 yr old P4 would bite the bullet soon....anyone know much bout these CM 690 II Basic Cases....good to work with?

The 640 Black is a SATA 3 as is the Mobo, I take it you have to plug the Black into a dedicated SATA 3 Port on the Mobo?....noob question I know, but my Primary is old tech..hahahah..no Sata 3 or USB 3.

btw...her Monitor is my older Sammy 24" 1920 x 1200....kinda why I went with the 560 Ti...also the difference in price between the 560Ti and 460 was only about $30 - $40..

This will "clean out" my closet alright, then I'll play Dr Frankenstein and try to bring "life" back to that P4

Cheers

Last edited by rjbarker; March 1, 2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old March 1, 2011, 08:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If its anything like the CM 690 original, i found it had very poor cable management. You could not run all your cables behind the motherboard tray as they would stick out on the other side, making it hard to close the case properly and easily.

If you plug in a SATA2 device into a SATA3 controller/port it will just run the device at its maximum SATA2 speeds, so you shouldnt have to worry about that at all. The 560 Ti may be a little overkill however it is a quality card and perhaps you could talk your wife into trying out some video games eh? Its why i built my fiancee's new pc for her, allow her to play newer games by herself and with me.

Good luck on trying to bring the P4 back to life, whats wrong with it anyways? Won't power on, won't boot into windows, won't go past post?
Old March 1, 2011, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Not sure whats wrong with the P4 Arinoth......I'm still out on the ship at work and fly home tomorrow. She old me that it just shows a Black Screen with a bunch of Text when powering up. Told her to take it to the Computer Shop next to her Store and they told her that they could fix it (didn't specify to me exactly what was wrong), but its old and not sure how long the fix would last...so, I told her we'd put a new one together...

Not sure if the Black Screen / Text is before or after Post, will check it when I get home, the specs on it are:

P4 @ 3.2 Ghz
Mobo: some old Gigabyte (not sure model)
RAM: 4 x 512 MB (2GB) Kingston
GPU: Evga 6800GT AGP
PSU: Enermax 425W

Both HD and Optical are IDE

Its the original HD, so I have a "feeling" the HD maybe toast, but it should still Post then bugger up, I'll know more once I get home....

Old March 1, 2011, 08:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The new 690 II's are nice to work in. Better cable management than the originals. They get my recommendation as a $75-100 gamer case.

And that 640 GB Black won't max out a Sata 2 connection, so it won't really matter which port you use.
Old March 1, 2011, 09:34 AM
Banned
F@H

on a budget the 912 all the way

problem with this and those is the top vents, which in a business means they will soon may receive some coffee
or other stuff tru them,ps04b all the way. better classy looks too.more business like.
Old March 1, 2011, 09:38 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I have the original CM690. Pushing the cable to the back can be done. I just had to spread out the cable sleeves and make them a bit flatter than round. I am sure the new series will be much better.

Why not put in a SSD? CNIX has an OCZ on sale, 120G 2.5". I am sure she will love the speed.