Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old February 27, 2011, 06:06 PM
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25
Default z68 or LGA2011?

I currently have a watercooled Q 9300 on a EP45-DQ6 with 8G mem, and have started to think about upgrading.
Component wise, I've settled on a Powercolor LCS 6970, and a Vertex 120G SSD.
I'm now turning my attention to the motherboard, cpu and memory... given the state of intel right now, I'm not even considering the current offering.
What I'm wondering is, do I keep the current system until the LGA 2011's come out in Q4, or upgrade to the Z68 in the end of April?
your thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old February 27, 2011, 06:15 PM
Top Prospect
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 211

I think you can hold off till Q4 if you do some overclocking. Your system isn't bad by any means.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old February 27, 2011, 06:25 PM
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,691

if you do more than what it looks like from your post?
2011 but the costs? i dont know. a nice little 2500k will spank your current system
without making a big hole in your pocket. either use the b3 stepping boards or if you
dont wanna wait just dont use the affected ports...big deal :)

and z68? what for? if you have a pci-e card that youre using and want
to overclock i dont see the need.

ps welcome aboard :)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old February 27, 2011, 07:46 PM
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25


Thanks for the input and welcome -

Confirmed what I already felt was the right way to go (LGA 2011) - but patience was never a strength for me.



PS - sneek peek at the most recent re-build... polished copper frame, 2 360 rads, 400mm FrozenQ res, LCS 6970... will use my current mb/cpu for now.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old February 27, 2011, 11:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort St. John, BC
Posts: 1,367

My System Specs


Yeah, as long as you are okay with the current performance of your system, wait until LGA 2011 and (hopefully) the new architecture from nVidia for GPUs (the road-map puts it at Q4 of 2011). Although you can spend your whole life waiting for the next best technology, if your system will be fine until then, I see no reason not to wait for the end of the year to bring us (potentially) big performers.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old February 28, 2011, 12:57 AM
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 639

Waiting is good this time. LGA2011 for CPUs like you said, and 22nm for GPUs will be reached by semiconductor companies. That my friend is a huge leap from the HD 69xx and GTX 5xx in terms of size and power consumption that is relative to the increase in performance.

Does the Q 9300 bottleneck your HD6970? If so you might want to grab a sandy bridge i3 and a mobo both for $250.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes