Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   going back to a Desktop Build (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/41097-going-back-desktop-build.html)

lcdguy February 25, 2011 04:51 AM

going back to a Desktop Build

So i have decided to go back to using a desktop as my primary computer. Don't get me wrong. My G73 is a beast but i like the flexibility a desktop offers me. here is what will be going into it.

Core i7 950 LGA1366
Asus X58 Sabertooth
6GB G.Skill PC 1600 DDR3
Intel X-25V 40GB SSD
3x 2TB WD Green
E-VGA Nvidia GTX 560 TI Fermi
Corsair HX 750 PSU
LG Blu-ray Burner
GELID Tranquilo HSF
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Fractal Designs Refine R3 Case

I'll try to post a pictures of the build. Fortunately it looks like i will get my stuff today since it shipped from Toronto :biggrin:

slippy February 25, 2011 11:55 AM

Wow! what are you going to do with 6TB storage? I'm such a data noob :biggrin:

lcdguy February 25, 2011 01:21 PM

i'm going to start with 6TB and go up from there :biggrin:.

So i must have been really good since my stuff showed up today:haha:

SneakySnake February 25, 2011 01:28 PM

Go Sandy Bridge. Here's the off of the top of my head hardware configuration that'll be roughly the same cost as your current setup

Gigabyte P67-UD4P
4 GB DDR3 1600 cas7, or 2133 cas9

I got 8 GB's of G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 2133 9-11-9-28 for $150 for my sandy bridge build

EDIT: just saw that your stuff arrived already. Don't get me wrong, it'll be a screaming setup performance wise, Sandy Bridge will just be a little more screaming for the same dollar

enaberif February 25, 2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SneakySnake (Post 489833)
Go Sandy Bridge. Here's the off of the top of my head hardware configuration that'll be roughly the same cost as your current setup

Gigabyte P67-UD4P
4 GB DDR3 1600 cas7, or 2133 cas9

I got 8 GB's of G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 2133 9-11-9-28 for $150 for my sandy bridge build

EDIT: just saw that your stuff arrived already. Don't get me wrong, it'll be a screaming setup performance wise, Sandy Bridge will just be a little more screaming for the same dollar

1366 and SB isn't THAT big of a jump.. its a jump but not like if you went from 1156 to 1155.

And Sandybridge is still flawed so you have to wait on that.

His setup will be good an dfun.

ZZLEE February 25, 2011 01:50 PM

Personaly I would think maybe a bigger SSD. looks like a solid build.

lcdguy February 25, 2011 07:12 PM

well the build went well. I am not at the stupidly long software loading phase. (darn 160GB steam folder). I did run into some BSOD issues but turns out it was my stupid mouse. In terms of ssd space after loading windows 7 plus system drives i have around 17GB free which should be enough of a buffer. Also i officially have a new favorite case vendor. I absolutely love the design of the fractal designs define r3. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to build one. It's small, compact, well laid out and fits both the tower cooler and my gtx 560 TI with room to spare.

enaberif February 25, 2011 07:34 PM

pics :P

lcdguy February 25, 2011 11:16 PM

i would except i have been fighting with some thing causing BSOD's turns out it looks like it may have been the crystalfontz display i installed. Last couple of BSOD's were due to it's driver. Unplugged and it hasn't crashed yet :). And yes i have already ran a memory test and it came back with no issues.

JMCD February 26, 2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcdguy (Post 490005)
i would except i have been fighting with some thing causing BSOD's turns out it looks like it may have been the crystalfontz display i installed. Last couple of BSOD's were due to it's driver. Unplugged and it hasn't crashed yet :). And yes i have already ran a memory test and it came back with no issues.

Sounds like the issues I was having, I spent nearly 2 weeks trying to figure out what it was, in the end it was just the latest version of everest.

Looks like a sweet built :)