Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2011, 01:21 PM
Trial Member

Default New build part selection help...

Having trouble deciding on a couple things on a new build, been out of the system building/tweaking game for a while... really just stuck on the CPU/GPU/MB/Memory, I think the rest is ok. I want USB 3 and a 6.0 gps sata connection would be nice (one that worked anyways...)

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming, a little video editing, browsing pRon. Guess this is mainly going to be for DAO I&II/Diablo III/SC II (don't game as much these days since I kicked the WoW habit a couple expansions back)

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

Honestly cheaply... I don't need cutting edge, but I am a fan of value for $$
CPU - ??? AMD cheap... Intel $$$ but the #'s I have seen for the Sandy is pretty telling that it might be worth the $$$
MB - usually in the $150 range, much more than that and I have trouble justifying it.
Memory - ???
GPU - No more than $250 unless someone can really justify it to me.. 3 fps will not make me fork out more money...

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada - MemEx more than likely.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

No, I have used it all. Prefer Asus boards... built a couple dud gigabytes and have not gone back to them (mind you this was back when I would only use Abit boards...)

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

Current system is: some intel 2.2 duo core/4gig ram/ati 4850/Cosair 550HX/asus board/win7 64

Parts I have sitting collecting dust....
Case - Corsair 600T
PS - Corsair 850HX
SSD - Corsair 120gig
HDD - 1TB WD Black (would like to get another drive and Raid 0 these) & (1.5Tb NAS WD green x2 Raid 1)

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Yes... having a hard time deciding on AMD or wait for Sandy Bridge... Just really not sure which way to go, I think for GPU it is a 6850 (cost to value) from what I have read... but not counting out a 460x. Memory I am completely lost... 8gig I am thinking... MB... not really sure, although I have always liked Asus...

Coolers I am way out of the loop on... so if I need one I have no clue what is out there.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Probably default, but I might want to tinker, so the option is nice to have, especially if it means more for less...

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

No rush... other than parts collecting dust..

9. What resolution do you use?

19something... 23" LG wide screen, although I am looking at other monitors for a dual set up.

I know it is a little vague... but I would like to put something together that will last a little while and be ok for gaming when I have time... again not looking to break the bank, I am cheap at heart and love great performance for limited $$$$. (My last modded computer was a abit BP6 with dual 366@550... so be nice, that was back when we had to wire our own 120mm fans and had to dremel our cases to get theme to fit)

If you need clarification, let me know... thanks in advance.
Old February 24, 2011, 01:27 PM
Banned
F@H

easy. 2500k with your fav mobo manufacturer's units in your price range

ram, 2x4gb for 64 bit os or 2x2gb for 32bit os. which one? gskill,corsair but dont buy ocz is the story around here :p.

get one 6950 2gb for gpu

ps welcome
ps2 if really no rush then really take it easy and wait for bulldozer
Old February 24, 2011, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I pretty much second dangtx's opinions. Since you don't seem to be in a rush you could wait to see what bulldozer will bring to the table, but waiting on technology sometimes never ends. If I was buying now it would be an i5 2500. For ram I would say just go for 2x4gb (ram is cheap right now).

GPU is the only area I would argue on (or at least not completely agree). The 6950 2gb is a great card and a good value, so if its in your budget go for it, but since you don't seem overly concerned with gaming you could save a few $ and go for a 6850 (still a good improvement over your 4850). That would be you and your budgets decision.
Old February 24, 2011, 02:31 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

The 5870 that went on sale on Newegg is a sick deal. Saw it for $179.99 after MIR. I believe it's the Sapphire 2GB version. Prior to that they had a 1GB version for $10 less?