Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2011, 09:59 AM
Rookie

Default New Gaming PC - first build

Within the next month I am planning to build a new gaming PC. As well as running all the latest games I am also looking at doing lots of sound recording and therefore getting a good sound card is very important. I would love this computer to last a long time, and just replace the occasional part when it gets outdated in the years to come.

I have never built a PC before (didn't even know what was inside one until about a week ago), and wouldn't even consider it if my flatmate hadn't done a computing course and said he would help build it. However, he built his computer 6 years ago and has completly lost track of all the latest hardware. So, I am left on my own to decide what to put in and I have been researching for about a week . Here is my build so far.

Case -Coolermaster HAF X Gaming Tower Case
Motherboard - ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
Processor - AMD Quadcore Phenom II x 4 970
RAM - 2x4 GB ?????
Power Supply - Cosair Memory 750W TX Series ATX
Graphics Card - Radeon HD 6950
Soundcard - Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro
CPU Cooler - Cosair Memory Hydro Series H70
Optical Drive - Samsung 12xBD-ROM/DVDRW Lightscribe
Harddrive - Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200rpm
Network Card for WiFi - ?????
So, a few questions. Firstly, I have seen many arguments about this and I still don't completly understand. Many people will ask why not use the Phenom II 1090/1100t six core processors. If most games and programmes out at the moment only support dualcore (and a few quad) is it not a good idea to get a quad that has a higher clock speed (3.5 instead of 3.2), as most of the time the two extra cores wont be being used?

Secondly, I have no idea about RAM. I'm pretty set on a 2x4 GB setup but I can't find any reviews on this at all.

Also any ideas on a cheap network card so I can pick up WiFi?

I don't mind paying a slightly higher price for parts (you can probably see my build is quite expensive) but I figure the higher price should always be justified by a significant increase in performance.

Thanks,
Harry

Old February 24, 2011, 12:35 PM
Banned
F@H

perhaps go with a 2500k, or 2600k for cpu.

coolermaster 912/922 will be cheaper and still ofer lots of value.

for the wireless card you could get a pci/pci-e one, or even usb if you want to move it around but i guess not

good psu choice, same with video card. what resolution/quality settings would you like in your games?
Old February 24, 2011, 02:07 PM
Rookie

I was just looking at the 2500 & 2600. Could probably get a cheaper motherboard if I did that, but I guess I would have to wait until the p67's are re-released..... One thing I didn't quite understand was the Intel HD Graphics built into these processors. Does this mean I can't attach a GPU to the motherboard? I was trying to stay away from intergrated graphics as my laptop has it and is USELESS
Old February 24, 2011, 02:13 PM
Banned
F@H

meh, get one now and dont use those 'bad' ports.

no, it means the integrated gpu wont enable if its not into an h something board.

you can use any pci-e graphics card you like. the 6950 2gb is a good bang per buck if you

plan on higher resolutions. can be had around gtx 560 prices +-
Old February 24, 2011, 03:51 PM
Rookie

Ok, thanks for your help

I have decided to go for a 2500k processor, and I'm happy to wait until the P67's get re-released. I am glad it has crossfire built in too, so when the 6950's go down in price I can put another one in
Old February 24, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You won't need a H70 for the CPU cooler... you can get it if you want, but that's only really necessary if you're hoping to get +5.0 Ghz.. otherwise a $40 air cooler will get you ~4.8 Ghz. Do note, you'll probably want 2 HDDs to improve recording performance... A standard HDD may have trouble with the I/O requests caused by running the source of the sound and the recording program on the same HDD.

When it comes to overclocking, the cheap Mobos will not do, but if you're only looking to get around 4.6 Ghz, anything +120 price range will be perfect.
Old February 24, 2011, 04:52 PM
Rookie

Don't really plan on overclocking - so I will look for a cheaper cpu cooler. Any specific suggestions for the i5 2500k 1155 cpu?

And ok I will look into getting another hdd (luckily they arn't that expensive ). I'm guessing I don't need another 1TB just for the OS? Any suggestions for an hdd just for the OS?
Old February 24, 2011, 05:33 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHarry View Post
Don't really plan on overclocking - so I will look for a cheaper cpu cooler. Any specific suggestions for the i5 2500k 1155 cpu?

And ok I will look into getting another hdd (luckily they arn't that expensive ). I'm guessing I don't need another 1TB just for the OS? Any suggestions for an hdd just for the OS?
CPU classic recommendation, the CM Hyper 212+ (I believe its $30). But if not, you can just stick with your stock cooler. Anyways, good performance vs. value.

Nowadays, people are using a solid state drive just for the OS. Amazingly fast, but expensive (idk your budget). Windows 7~25GB give or take a bit. A 30GB SSD runs you about $100.
Old February 25, 2011, 12:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unless you want the extra space that a HDD offers, it's best to just get a half decent SSD for under $70. 30GB or more is best for window7, but you'll find a lot are 40GB now. You should be able to get a 1/2 decent 30-40 GB SSD for under $70 if you are willing to take a chance on Mail-in-rebates.
Old February 25, 2011, 03:03 PM
Rookie

I agree, these SSD drive look like a good idea. Might go for a 40GB along with my HDD. Cheers guys