Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2011, 02:01 PM
Rookie

Default Zotac H55-ITX motherboard

Hi all, this is my first attempt to build a home server. So I followed the an article in MaximumPC, but decided to include an optical drive, which they did not in their specs. Only trouble is that I can't see anywhere on the motherboard where I can connect the optical drive - the (1) PC that I built previously had a clear broad and flat connection where the optical drive cable connected - this little motherboard does not seem to have a suitable place (but there must be one!).

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old February 6, 2011, 02:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

It wouldn't happen to resemble this would it?

Unfortunately, IDE is a legacy connection which has been replaced with SATA. You'll need a DVD player that has a SATA connection. NCIX has a SATA DVD burner on sale for $15.99 in-store today, so if you're close to a store, you can make a run and pick one up.

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

There are IDE to SATA converters too, but they'll likely cost more than a new DVD burner/reader anyways.
Old February 6, 2011, 02:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I assume you have an IDE drive, 9/10 mini-itx boards don't support an IDE connector and 8/10 new motherboards in general don't support it. It's an old standard and takes up a ton of space on the motherboard, simply not feasible to put it on anything but a value board meant for users with older parts.

There are IDE to SATA converters out there, but they're a little bulky for what you want to do and usually don't work very well. I'd suggest getting a new optical drive, they're only ~$20, often less.
Old February 6, 2011, 08:36 PM
Rookie

Thanks!
Old February 7, 2011, 10:21 AM
Rookie

Default does this ram fit/will it work?

Hi - attached is a pic of the ram Crucial CT25664BC1067 2GB 2X2GB PC3-8500 DDR3-1066 204PIN SODIMM that I decided to buy - but it seems like I got the wrong thing as it does not appear to fit. The build MaximumPC specs called for 2 times 1 GB DDR3-1333.

My question is - would this work?

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris
Attached Images

Old February 7, 2011, 10:25 AM
Rookie

Default alternative to sata inputs for optical drives?

As this is planned to be a home server I maxed out the number of hard drives - we are always running out of hard drive space - so I put in 6 times 2 TB hard drives. The mobo only has 6 sata configuration receptacles - is there elsewhere on the Mobo that I can connect the optical drive?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Attached Images

Last edited by chriso; February 7, 2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old February 7, 2011, 10:54 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso View Post
Hi - attached is a pic of the ram Crucial CT25664BC1067 2GB 2X2GB PC3-8500 DDR3-1066 204PIN SODIMM that I decided to buy - but it seems like I got the wrong thing as it does not appear to fit. The build MaximumPC specs called for 2 times 1 GB DDR3-1333.

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris

you don't get the wrong thing, you order the wrong thing, the one you receive are SODIMM I hope you don't power the board with those ram place like this......

may I ask you why your order a mini-itx board for use with 6 hd ?, what kind of case are you using ?
Old February 7, 2011, 11:01 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris

..no..as botat has replied you bought the wrong set of rams. You need ddr3 DIMMs not SODIMMs.

Quote:
As this is planned to be a home server I maxed out the number of hard drives - we are always running out of hard drive space - so I put in 6 times 2 TB hard drives. The mobo only has 6 sata configuration receptacles - is there elsewhere on the Mobo that I can connect the optical drive?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
There is IDE TO USB cables
IDE to USB 2.0 Converter from Addonics
check ebay.
You might need something like this too
NCIX.com - Buy Startech 6IN USB A Female to Motherboard Header Adapter - USBMBADAPT In Canada.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Something you should know is that generally, if it doesn't fit it doesn't work. You see how those SODIMMs only take up about half a DIMM slot? this means that it immediately will not work.

This is the same deal with the different standards of RAM. DDR and DDR2 RAM will not fit and therefore will not operate with a board equipped with DDR3 slots, and vice-versa.

IDE will not fit therefore will not operate on a board equipped with SATA ports, and vice-versa.

A video card designed to fit in a PCIe x16 slot will not fit in a board designed to run an AGP card, and vice-versa.

The exception o this rule is the PCIe bus in general-- usually PCIe x1, x4 and x8 devices will operate in a PCIe x16 slot.
Old February 7, 2011, 02:40 PM
Rookie

Thanks all, much appreciate the input!

Chris

Tags
connecting optical drive , home server , new build , zotac motherboard