Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   NCIX or Alienware gaming PC? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/40535-ncix-alienware-gaming-pc.html)

virkelie February 5, 2011 12:14 PM

NCIX or Alienware gaming PC?

I live in Canada, I am looking to purchase a new gaming PC.

(In case anyone asks, I neither have the time nor the interest to build one myself).

I have always had DELLs; but now I see Dell/Alienware charging high prices for low-end and even outdated parts.

I have just come across the NCIX custom PC department on their website - I didn't know that NCIX builds computers.

Reviews describe Alienware's build quality as meticulous; but again, I see that they are using inferior parts, which they overprice.

I cannot find any reviews of NCIX computers http://forums.redflagdeals.com/image...ead-sad-16.png

The NCIX PC configurators offer the latest and high-end parts, which are very reasonably priced.

But how is the build quality?

Has anyone had any experience with NCIX building a computer for them? Is the build quality, packaging (for shipping) good? Tech support descent?

Thanks for any help / info.

JMCD February 5, 2011 12:23 PM

NCIX assembles computers using parts of your choice, or there are preset choices as well. They use much better parts than Dell/Alienware. Definitely go with NCIX. I've had one friend get his computer assembled there and he had no problems with it. I believe they charge $50 for it (no windows install)

ZZLEE February 5, 2011 12:58 PM

Where do you live? Is there a Ncix store near you?

virkelie February 5, 2011 01:37 PM

I live in the Northwest Territories.

No nearby NCIX.

Keltron 3030 February 5, 2011 03:39 PM

I dont know where you see alienware using outdated parts; their pretty up to date with their desktops at least

Either or, go with NCIX. better customization and price

element291 February 5, 2011 03:40 PM

alienware is good if you want to overpay by 75%

virkelie February 5, 2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 (Post 482601)
I dont know where you see alienware using outdated parts; their pretty up to date with their desktops at least

Either or, go with NCIX. better customization and price

For instance:
- the GTX 580 Nvidea video card is not available with the area-51 (all the other major vendors already offer this card);
-maximum hard-drive size is 1.5tb (2 tb has been around for a long time); cache on the 1.5Tb is 32MB (64mb has been around for a while);
- going from 1333MHz DDR3 memory to 1600MHz costs $850 - this is outrageous (you can buy Corsair 3 sticks of 4GB 1600Mhz from a number of online stores for about $300);
- no USB 3.0 on the Dell motherboard

So with Dell/Alienware, you get an inferior video card, an inferior hard-drive, inferior RAM (unless you want to pay a premium of $850), and no USB 3.0; and despite all of this inferiority, the Alienware system still costs more than a system from NCIX with the latest video card, 2TB 64mb hard-drives, 1600MHz DDR3 Ram, and USB 3.0.

As I said in my initial post, the positive thing about Alienware is that it is reputed to have excellent build quality (but with inferior parts).

So NCIX offers superior parts, but can anyone speak of its build quality? cable management...? tech support?

I can't find any reviews of NCIX systems.

sswilson February 5, 2011 05:08 PM

NCIX is primarily a PC parts retailer rather than a complete PC seller. You won't really find much in the way of reviews on their "builds" other than possibly searching their forums for complaints.

It sounds like you've got a reasonably good idea of what you're looking for so there should be no reason why you couldn't order the individual parts from them and then pay the $50 to assemble it (AFAIK, they'll do everything but put the CPU heatsink on due to shipping concerns). OTOH, you could also order the individual parts and put it together yourself... it's not really that difficult, and the folks here would be happy to help you out if you want some advice.

The benefits to chosing your own parts is that you can chose your parts either according to exact specs you're looking for, or cherry pick parts based on best price (Price match to other e-tailers). Either way, you'll end up with a much better system than you'd get by buying one off the shelf.

As far as tech support goes.... aside from RMA / Replacement of faulty items, you're not going to get much more tech support than you could find here. :)

Slik February 5, 2011 06:34 PM

I highly recommend the Alienware sytems. Thier sytems have VERY good hardware and they DO have USB 3. Mine does. Also,consider the warranty. Dell has one of the best. I have been a Dell user for the last ten or so years and of course,over that period I have had computer issues. Every time I needed a replacement part,Dell upgraded that part. They will,and have,replaced entire systems and put upgrades in them. Building your own is one thing,but if you have problems,you become your own tech service. You can get Nvidia cards in your Alienware. My Area 51 came with two GTX 480s in it and I just purchased two 580 GTXs from Dell for my Alienware. You can configure your Alienware with as many options for hardware as you would probably have if you were to build your own. When you buy a high end computer with high end parts,it's nice to know that EVERTHING is covered under warranty including having a Tech show up at your house if required. Peace of mind if you know what I mean. This is my opinion only. It's your choice. Just think about all the pros and cons for a bit. Good luck with whatever it is you end up doing.

YukonTrooper February 5, 2011 06:49 PM

NCIX all the way. Best way to do it would be to add all your parts to your shopping cart, price-match all the items in your cart with the cheapest prices found on other Canadian e-tailer sites, and then add the $50 PC assembly to your shopping cart.