Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2011, 10:16 AM
Top Prospect

Yep, I don't see the difference between Alienware and Futureshop in that regard, except at Alienware they don't give you a choice and force you to buy their warranty as bundled in the price. Anyone can tell you that extended warranties are where Futureshop makes the money, and to a lesser extent cables.
Old December 12, 2012, 05:00 PM
Rookie

Default NCIX has a horrible service

Horrible!
NCIX Store salesman persuaded me to buy one of their earphone piece, and never told me about non-refund policy on it. When I brought home, I figured it's not useful to me. I went to return it. The service man INTERROGATED ME! It was such a hassle to refund anything at NCIX. They eventually deduct 15% of refund money. Anything I bought from best buy or home depot, regardless I open or not, they refunded me 100% without any questions.
Old December 12, 2012, 05:07 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

A tad better, only a thread necro of 1 year and 10 month this time around... though using the same text defeats the purpose, you know?
Old December 12, 2012, 08:20 PM
Rookie

I would go for the NCIX. Not sure if it's just me, but Dell's customer service was absolutely TERRIBLE. As a previous owner of many Dell products such as an m11x and m1730, I think I can confidently say this. The customer service doesn't help you or look for your benefit. You literally have to WORK your way with the rep in order to come to a reasonable conclusion. I had to go through like a thousand loops of calls just to get certain parts replaced.
If I were you though, I would build it myself.
Good luck with your new computer!
Old December 13, 2012, 07:18 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
NCIX is primarily a PC parts retailer rather than a complete PC seller. You won't really find much in the way of reviews on their "builds" other than possibly searching their forums for complaints.

It sounds like you've got a reasonably good idea of what you're looking for so there should be no reason why you couldn't order the individual parts from them and then pay the $50 to assemble it (AFAIK, they'll do everything but put the CPU heatsink on due to shipping concerns). OTOH, you could also order the individual parts and put it together yourself... it's not really that difficult, and the folks here would be happy to help you out if you want some advice.
This. I do a lot of contracting work with Dell and would never buy an alienware computer. First, I can build it for cheaper, second, the markup is outrageous and I don't support bloated pricing in companies.

Plus, there is something to building your own computer that gives you a greater sense of ownership to it. It's a project, it's fun, and YOU did it.

EDIT: I only just now noticed that this is really old.

Last edited by tethlah; December 13, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Since the necro came on something unrelated I am locking this down.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Closed Thread

Tags
alienware , build , computer , ncix , overpriced , quality