Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2011, 06:01 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Count me in as the second guy pushing Alienware on this one. It has nothing to do with price for this build. It has to do with service in remote areas. NCIX doesn't provide on-site support outside of major urban areas and their RMA policy only covers shipping in the first 30 days. If this was someone building a computer in or around an urban center, I would recommend NCIX....but it isn't.
Old February 11, 2011, 02:57 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Funny convo. I doubt you could "negotiate" with Dell for a price mark down. They're big enough to survive without your 10 grand. If you want a superior money to performance ratio, buy NCIX. If you want convenience, support, and a dent in your wallet, go with Dell. Make a logical decision and buy what you want. And really, Dell support is quite bad. First question: What's the code on the back of your PC? Second question: Did you restart your computer?

I recommend NCIX unless you're extremely worried over problems with your PC.
Old February 11, 2011, 04:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I still think a local shop would be best, if there is one.
Old February 11, 2011, 06:49 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
I still think a local shop would be best, if there is one.
agreed, a local shop would cost a loooooot less
Old February 11, 2011, 07:13 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
It has nothing to do with price for this build. It has to do with service in remote areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1 View Post
agreed, a local shop would cost a loooooot less
I don't understand it. Myself, SKYMTL and Slik have said it a few times now. Yet no one gets that warrant and service over price is the way to go here for someone in this situation.

I too prefer NCIX but that doesn't mean I'd recommend it to everyone.

I know these are all opinions but they need to be thought about as if you were the OTHER person. NOT as yourself.

EDIT: This reminds me of when every time someone asked what case they should get, people kept recommending the CM HAF. If you happened to be the odd person who recommended something else you automatically became the black sheep. haha

Last edited by Killswitch; February 11, 2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old February 11, 2011, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Firstly where in the NW Territories....I'm going to assume Yellowknife?
If thier is a ma n pop PC Service Centre / Retailer in your town, given they may charge $60 - $90 / hr for service and most of your parts (from NCIX) will come with a Manufacturers Lifetime Warranty or a few yrs, I agree that purchsing from NCIX would make sense.....and bight the bullet n pay ma n pop thier rate to take care of it for you.

Let me get this right, if something goes wrong with your Dell / Alienware PC they send a tech to your house in the middle of "bumsville NW Territories" ? or they simply arrange to have it shipped out?

Old February 11, 2011, 09:29 PM
Rookie

I highly doubt they have on-site tech service in the territories. I live in the Yukon, and I would still highly suggest going with NCIX. You have to ship it out either way. The massive price premium is absolutely NOT worth it, and I don't see why SKY says that isn't an issue. You can't completely disregard the huge markup for a slightly better warranty (that very likely doesn't include on-site service due to location)
Old February 11, 2011, 10:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
I don't understand it. Myself, SKYMTL and Slik have said it a few times now. Yet no one gets that warrant and service over price is the way to go here for someone in this situation.

I too prefer NCIX but that doesn't mean I'd recommend it to everyone.

I know these are all opinions but they need to be thought about as if you were the OTHER person. NOT as yourself.

EDIT: This reminds me of when every time someone asked what case they should get, people kept recommending the CM HAF. If you happened to be the odd person who recommended something else you automatically became the black sheep. haha
For the price that you pay for a Dell warranty, you could easily get a local shop to take good care of you, assuming he has one.
Old February 12, 2011, 02:04 AM
Top Prospect

I;ve heard dell has great warranty, friend of mine had to send in a laptop a couple times and it was quick and painless. but I wouldn't pay for alienware stuff, Before I knew anything or much about computer I always though alienware is the best computer and laptop you can get but now that I know it's not worth the money. It's not the worst but still not worth what they want to charge you for one. I guess it's kind of like ae86, even though its a shit box car at bone stock, market value is high because of initial D tax on the car itself.
Old February 12, 2011, 07:40 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

So the gist of this thread is how much " if shit happens" tax you want to pay on your pc. I dont get the doomsday chicken little attitude, are the system builders of either place that bad? I would say it would be safe to assume that either place is going to have a builder thats like us guys here and would do a good job. Unless they dont take pride into thier work.

Tags
alienware , build , computer , ncix , overpriced , quality