Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2011, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
He would just need to pay for return shipping... Which he can send it back 10 times atleast for $800
But why would you want to send it back at all?

Look I just was on Dell's site and yes parts of their builds are way over priced. A great example is how it costs $400 to go to the raided 300GB 10k drives. For that price I could just get a SSD and a second drive.

The main thing is that we have to look at two major points.

1. The Price - No matter how you cut it part for part the Alienware is quite a bit more expensive. Hard drives and memory are the most blatant examples.

2. The Warranty - No matter how you cut it, the Dell warranty is hands down better. I know people have said well my parts have 5 years or lifetime warranty and sure that is true, but you have to deal with various companies and pretty much have to send everything away. With Dell as long as you can deal with the phone call, you get someone out to your house to repair it onsite. This is the next day people, no sending the machine in, no being left without a machine. Oh and for parts that they send without a tech, you are still supposed to get them next day and you get the new part and then send the old one back, pre-paid I might add. Oh and as an added bonus you can get the processor factory overclocked and it is covered by warranty.

Now all that said for me, living in a city and knowing how to troubleshoot and repair my own systems I would choose NCIX. But I would not hesitate to suggest the Alienware route if the person is remote like the OP and doesn't want to do the work themselves.

Oh and one more piece of advice, do not order the Dell online, phone them. That way you can get it set up the way you want and have more choice than what is shown on the web and you should be able to get a better deal as well.

Old February 8, 2011, 09:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Because I was bored, I went and build one system at alienware and one at ncix, both with comparable specs.

Alienware:
Code:
i7 980
12GB 1600MHz
6950 2GB x 2
512GB raid 0 ssd (2 x 256GB Samsung Solid State)
2TB raid 1 (2 x 2TB SATA-II, 7,200 RPM, 32MB)
Integrated 7.1 sound
24 x DVD/CD burner with lightscribe, double layer
Area-51 headset
alienware liquid cooling
alienware tactx keyboard
alienware tactx mouse
1 year support

$7,464.00
Ncix:
Code:
Vesta WS i7 (Q3385323)
1 x Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 6 Core LGA1366 Gulftown 3.33GHZ 12MB Processor Retail Box
1 x Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50 High Performance CPU Cooler System LGA775 LGA1366 LGA1156 AM2 AM3
1 x ASUS P6X58D-E X58 ATX LGA1366 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SLI USB3.0 SATA 6GB/S Motherboard
1 x Corsair Vengeance 12GB 3X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 XMP Triple Channel Core i7 Memory
2 x AMD Radeon HD 6950 800MHZ 2GB 5GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2 X DVI HDMI 2 X Mini Display Port
1 x Coolermaster Haf X EATX Tower Case Black 6X5.25 5X3.5INT No PS Front USB3.0
1 x Seasonic X760 Gold ATX 12V 24PIN 750W Active PFC 80PLUS Gold Modular SLI Ready Power Supply
1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64BIT DVD OEM
2 x OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 240GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD
2 x Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green 2TB SATA2 3GBPS 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM
1 x LG GH24LS50 24X Super Multi Lightscribe SATA DVD Writer OEM Black
1 x Steelseries 7G PS/2 USB Professional Gaming Keyboard W/ Media Controls USB Ports Headphone IN/OUT
1 x Logitech G500 Laser Gaming Mouse 5700DPI USB2.0 Weight Adjustable BLACK/GREY
1 x Steelseries 9HD Semi Rough Glide Gaming Surface 10.7X12.7IN
1 x Logitech G35 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset 20-20000KHZ 32OHM Unidirectional Mic M *IR-$30.00*
1 x PC Assembly and Testing With 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty (PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased)
PC Assembly & Testing does not include  servers and requires an additional 4-5 business days to ship once all  parts are in stock. NCIX will install heatsinks or pre-filled CPU liquid  coolers. 1 Year Limited Warranty on system components assembled by  NCIX.
1 x Standard 1 Year Limited Warranty With NCIX IN-HOUSE Tech Support

$4,459.94
BTW, that Ncix price is from the system builder, using weekly sales and price matching, a few hundred bucks might come down from that.

Last edited by sa seba; February 8, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old February 8, 2011, 10:13 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hell if you are going to drop more than 2bills on a system at NICX...spend the money and become a PremierPartner! Not only will it easily pay for itself in saving on THAT build...everything you buy for the rest of the year at ncix will be discounted. Sometimes this is "only" the same as the weekly specials...sometimes it is more (and sometimes it is less...I still check the specials in case I can save an extra buck or two :)~ ) BUT its ALWAYS that price and not just a short term special.

As to the OP. IF you have enough confidence to risk the need to TS any wonkiness that can pop up....go the NCIX route. Otherwise you may be better off playing it safe and going Dell. Dell is not the devil, and while we all here CAN do basic TS (at the very least) not everyone can. Sometimes peace of mind is priceless...but there is no better incentive to learn than 3K "extra" in your pocket!

Oh and welcome to the forums mate, hope you enjoy your stay. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 9, 2011, 01:12 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

As an FYI when it comes to the warranty,

With the NCIX Extended warranty, there is actually an "onsite" support option available, however if the option isn't available for your particular PC, the regular ESP does NOT force you to send it back to NCIX for repair. The system allows you to take it to any number of local repair shops (Not just NCIX stores) to have the work done there, without shipping and with direct communication with the individuals fixing your computer.

So if you aren't in the GVRD or the Markham area, you are still covered and it is much more convenient.

Last edited by FiXT; February 9, 2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old February 9, 2011, 01:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa seba View Post
Because I was bored, I went and build one system at alienware and one at ncix, both with comparable specs.

Alienware:
Code:
i7 980
12GB 1600MHz
6950 2GB x 2
512GB raid 0 ssd (2 x 256GB Samsung Solid State)
2TB raid 1 (2 x 2TB SATA-II, 7,200 RPM, 32MB)
Integrated 7.1 sound
24 x DVD/CD burner with lightscribe, double layer
Area-51 headset
alienware liquid cooling
alienware tactx keyboard
alienware tactx mouse
1 year support

$7,464.00
Ncix:
Code:
Vesta WS i7 (Q3385323)
1 x Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 6 Core LGA1366 Gulftown 3.33GHZ 12MB Processor Retail Box
1 x Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50 High Performance CPU Cooler System LGA775 LGA1366 LGA1156 AM2 AM3
1 x ASUS P6X58D-E X58 ATX LGA1366 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SLI USB3.0 SATA 6GB/S Motherboard
1 x Corsair Vengeance 12GB 3X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 XMP Triple Channel Core i7 Memory
2 x AMD Radeon HD 6950 800MHZ 2GB 5GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2 X DVI HDMI 2 X Mini Display Port
1 x Coolermaster Haf X EATX Tower Case Black 6X5.25 5X3.5INT No PS Front USB3.0
1 x Seasonic X760 Gold ATX 12V 24PIN 750W Active PFC 80PLUS Gold Modular SLI Ready Power Supply
1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64BIT DVD OEM
2 x OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 240GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD
2 x Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green 2TB SATA2 3GBPS 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM
1 x LG GH24LS50 24X Super Multi Lightscribe SATA DVD Writer OEM Black
1 x Steelseries 7G PS/2 USB Professional Gaming Keyboard W/ Media Controls USB Ports Headphone IN/OUT
1 x Logitech G500 Laser Gaming Mouse 5700DPI USB2.0 Weight Adjustable BLACK/GREY
1 x Steelseries 9HD Semi Rough Glide Gaming Surface 10.7X12.7IN
1 x Logitech G35 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset 20-20000KHZ 32OHM Unidirectional Mic M *IR-$30.00*
1 x PC Assembly and Testing With 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty (PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased)
PC Assembly & Testing does not include  servers and requires an additional 4-5 business days to ship once all  parts are in stock. NCIX will install heatsinks or pre-filled CPU liquid  coolers. 1 Year Limited Warranty on system components assembled by  NCIX.
1 x Standard 1 Year Limited Warranty With NCIX IN-HOUSE Tech Support

$4,459.94
BTW, that Ncix price is from the system builder, using weekly sales and price matching, a few hundred bucks might come down from that.
Where on earth did you get that price for the Alienware? Did you configure by buying the hardware separately? I just checked and you can get the Area 51 ALX with everything you mentioned above and MORE for no where near $7500.00. And with a three year warranty. If you PHONE them and NEGOTIATE you can do even better.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old February 9, 2011, 07:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Where on earth did you get that price for the Alienware? Did you configure by buying the hardware separately? I just checked and you can get the Area 51 ALX with everything you mentioned above and MORE for no where near $7500.00. And with a three year warranty. If you PHONE them and NEGOTIATE you can do even better.
Well, I took the Area 51-ALX (3999 USD base price), switched out cpu (+515 USD), 12GB 1600MHz (+1200 USD), 2 6950's (+100 USD), 512GB ssd raid 0 (+1050 USD), 2TB raid 1 (+600 USD), 1 year basic support (free) = 7,454.00 USD

Keep in mind, I haven't used the windows 7 home to professional upgrade (another 130 USD).

See, a relative of mine has a alienware laptop and, man, that thing is cool. It's fully setup and just works out of the box. Support is likely going to be better (but not longer) than Ncix.

But, is it worth the price, CAD 4460 vs 7454 USD?
Old February 9, 2011, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Dude we know you're a fanboy I just built the computer and got the same price so you must've missed something. NCIX is just as good if not better because it is much cheaper.
Old February 9, 2011, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
As an FYI when it comes to the warranty,

With the NCIX Extended warranty, there is actually an "onsite" support option available, however if the option isn't available for your particular PC, the regular ESP does NOT force you to send it back to NCIX for repair. The system allows you to take it to any number of local repair shops (Not just NCIX stores) to have the work done there, without shipping and with direct communication with the individuals fixing your computer.

So if you aren't in the GVRD or the Markham area, you are still covered and it is much more convenient.
I think this pretty much sums it up, I'm changing my stance unless it's a PITA to get this service.

The extended warranty will be cheaper, you can have them build a much better system for less and as long as you have a computer store within reasonable distance, you're good to go.
Old February 9, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The one guy on here pushng his Alienware Rig also has another Thread complaining of uber high GPU Temps on his 580's.......hhhhhhhmmmmmmmm........you just may need that "on site" Tech yet ;)

I know one thng....I'm no where near 7K on my Rig.....most of my Parts are Lifetime Warranty (7yr on my PSU) ........then again I can troubleshoot myself....BUT....because I built it myself and know it inside n backwards.....I haven't had to troubleshoot really....anything....

.....go NCIX....buy your parts...take some interest...build it yourself........or just get an XBox / PS3.......

Old February 10, 2011, 08:05 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Do you work for Dell or something? You're really beating a dead horse.
Closed Thread

Tags
alienware , build , computer , ncix , overpriced , quality