Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2011, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
ditto... lol, really watch what upgrades you get because they charge you a huge premium for certain upgrades.
Remember what I said earlier [above post] NEGOTIATE! As I said, you will really be surprised with the deals you can make. Dell wants the sale just as much as any other retailer. Some times,if they can't lower the price,they will throw something of equal value in so as to get the sale.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old February 8, 2011, 03:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 View Post
you better watch it thou with RAM! If I remember correctly, the MOBO on the Area-51 only has 3 DIMM's for RAM.
Three sticks are required with thier MB but you can get as much ram as you want. 3x2gigs or 3x4gigs etc. etc.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old February 8, 2011, 04:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Three sticks are required with thier MB but you can get as much ram as you want. 3x2gigs or 3x4gigs etc. etc.
ok I must be thinking about the aurora then
Old February 8, 2011, 06:00 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inate8 View Post
The only difference, in reality, will be the price you pay.

If you enjoy tinkering on your own. Buy the parts seperately.

If you want a fast system, with good support(albeit maybe a little slower than Dell due to your location)for top dollar(ie. the best value for your money) then use NCIX.

If you want a show-off system, with great support, an awesome case and top-end components(all of which you can do with NCIX aside from the case) and don't mind paying the "alienware premium" then by all means get an alienware. They are great computers

I personally have the M11x because it is sexy and awesome. If I had the extra cash I would get an alienware machine myself too.

I recommend before you buy anything, post the specs you are looking at from the websites, and the pricing. Many here will help you and make sure you're not buying into something you may not ever need/use.

edit:
Don't forget the Alienware ALX type cases are a $1000-1200 unit. Those things are 100% unique, and friggen awesome. (IMHO)

If you choose Alienware, get the lowest ram option you can tolerate. Those items are the easiest to replace yourself. It will save you the huge premium they charge for those items.

All the comments are really helpfull, and have pointed out a number of things I need to consider.

If I go for Alienware, I was thinking about the Area-51, non-ALX. The non-ALX version actually seems to be more customizable - for instance I prefer 1 video card (not the obligatory 2 with the ALX version), the cheapest memory option is not available with the ALX (I don't plan on paying DELL the exorbitant prices they ask for memory)...

The only differences I see between the ALX and non-ALX cases is that:
1. The ALX aluminum is "anodized", and
2. The ALX front door is motorized.

Both of those I don't care for - are there other differences between the ALX and non-ALX cases?

Also about the AREA-51 only having 3 dimms for memory - do people think this could be a problem?
The maximum memory 3 dimms would allow today is 12GB, ie 3 x 4GB.

I plan to use the computer for games, video editing/conversion (just as a hobby), and the usual stuff... Am I likey to need 24GB of memory in the the future?

I actually read somewhere else (I don't know if this is true) is that filling all of your DIMM slots can actually slow down your computer; so 24GB instead of 12GB may not be so good.
Old February 8, 2011, 06:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

with the DIMM's, its not a problem at all, but when you go to upgrade, you will need to buy a 12GB kit and then sell off your current kit, where if you had 6 DIMM's (the norm) you would only need to get another matching/compatible kit

unless your doing some extreme editing, i see 12GB as enough
Old February 8, 2011, 06:18 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I would not go with alienware, ncix will build you a much better rig for the money, and remember that your components all still have warranty on them. If you buy from some manufactures (like XFX) you will get outstanding warranty (double lifetime warranty, in the case of xfx)

I'm not saying that alienware PC's are bad, just that your paying to much money for what your getting. With the money saved by getting it built from NCIX you can get an SSD or something
Old February 8, 2011, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

With the amount of extra money Alienware charges you, you can pay for a lot of shipping back and forth between NCIX. Honestly I don;t believe the difference is only $600 I'm thinking atleast $1000 as a matter of fact i can almost guarantee.
Old February 8, 2011, 06:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think that before anymore opinions are given, one BIG question must be answered.

Virkelie, IF something was to go wrong with a new gaming rig from NCIX would you be able to troubleshoot and fix it on your own?

If not go with Dell. Simple.

I know everyone is saying NCIX is cheaper etc but that doesn't mean a thing IF something goes wrong.

EXAMPLE - You spend $2500 and saved $800 because you went with NCIX instead of Dell. A year or so later the system shits the bed and you can't fix it. Did you still save $800 or did you waste $2500?

With one phone call a tech comes to your house and fixes your gaming rig, or you get grey hair trying to solve the problem on your own.

Personally I buy from NCIX because I save money and I can do my own work, but that's MY individual situation..... everyone has to look at this guys needs and stop suggesting what they would do.

Last edited by Killswitch; February 8, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old February 8, 2011, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
I think that before anymore opinions are given, one BIG question must be answered.

Virkelie, IF something was to go wrong with a new gaming rig from NCIX would you be able to troubleshoot and fix it on your own?

If not go with Dell. Simple.

I know everyone is saying NCIX is cheaper etc but that doesn't mean a thing IF something goes wrong.

EXAMPLE - You spend $2500 and saved $800 because you went with NCIX instead of Dell. A year or so later the system shits the bed and you can't fix it. Did you still save $800 or did you waste $2500?

With one phone call a tech comes to your house and fixes your gaming rig, or you get grey hair trying to solve the problem on your own.

Personally I buy from NCIX because I save money and I can do my own work, but that's MY individual situation..... everyone has to look at this guys needs and stop suggesting what they would do.
He would just need to pay for return shipping... Which he can send it back 10 times atleast for $800
Old February 8, 2011, 08:49 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

and all his components will have individual warranties. So if his comp shits the bed then he can just RMA it. Although, he doesn't seem like a power user whose going to be overvolting his CPU and GPU to get max OC'es so I highly doubt anything will go wrong aside from software issues
Closed Thread

Tags
alienware , build , computer , ncix , overpriced , quality