Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2011, 02:29 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Unless things have changed and correct me if I am wrong but if ncix builds the system for you.. you get a full 1 year warranty on the system.
yes, you will get a full year, and you can even pay for more, hell youll pay cheaper for 2 years more than you will with alienware lol, besides if something simple goes wrong, i bet theres a local computer shop somewhere? lol
Old February 7, 2011, 05:24 PM
Top Prospect

He lives in NWT. Support is a long way, so in this case Dell would probably offer the fastest service.
Old February 7, 2011, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
Well, you can always use points or $50 for the VIP status. Any replacements warranties for the first 30 days or so should be smooth, after that, I don't know what their policy is. Also if he picks the parts and just has NCIX assemble it, then he'll be dealing with the OEMs if anything. One would hope/assume that he could do a shakedown and test the components for failures within the 1st 30 days and have relatively smooth sailing from there.
All free/discount shipping offers from NCIX are typically void for most rural areas of Canada. Things go wrong after the first 30 days of testing, if he's going to test his luck like that he better be real lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Unless things have changed and correct me if I am wrong but if ncix builds the system for you.. you get a full 1 year warranty on the system.
Getting a 1 year warranty on the cheap doesn't matter if he has to pay for one way shipping and wait forever, he probably won't be able to cross ship too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock View Post
He lives in NWT. Support is a long way, so in this case Dell would probably offer the fastest service.
+1
Old February 7, 2011, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
This is the way I see it:

NCIX just puts everything together properly and makes sure it works before sending it off... You're then covered by whatever their terms are (for warranty). You then save money by sacrificing service/brand, so it's a great deal if nothing messes up.

Alienware charges you a FAT premium for their extended warranty coverage and brand. They hide $200-400 in the inflated costs of parts to pay for your nice warranty coverage (which you still pay for based on how many years you pick) and another $200 is just pure markup for the alienware brand.

Alienware is for people who want a cushy warranty service as this is all NCIX offers:

Also, NCIX will not install after market heatsink fans (which are only important if you over-clock your computer).
I don't think Dell charges a FAT premium at all. The price I paid INCLUDED the 3 year premium warranty. The comparison cost I mentioned above, regarding the difference in cost to build as opposed to buying was about $600.00. If you subtract the warranty,the difference would only be about $250 or $300.00. To me,that is not excessive when all is said and done. When a person spends the kind of money I did,then for SURE you want a cushy warranty. When you send parts back to NCIX,they charge a re-stocking fee if they feel there is nothing wrong with it. Sure,on the system they use to check things it may work but that doesn't mean it works on YOUR set up. No questions asked at Dell. Also,if you have problems that can not be solved a year after you purchased your PC, NCIX won't replace the entire computer. Dell does and they DO UPGRADE. They did it for me. I am very comfortable dealing with Dell. I do however,shop at NCIX for a lot of other stuff and I'm happy with them as well.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old February 7, 2011, 07:16 PM
Top Prospect

Is it just me or does it seem like you guys make it sound like if he orders from NCIX his computer is going to bust in a couple months? Lol
Old February 7, 2011, 07:26 PM
Rookie

NCIX is now available in Toronto
Old February 8, 2011, 09:11 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1 View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like you guys make it sound like if he orders from NCIX his computer is going to bust in a couple months? Lol
Yeah that's the point I was trying to make. With VIP status he can RMA anything with free shipping within 30 days depending on the component, then there's the NCIX warranty after that. That's assuming he'll need it. If he just goes about testing for those first 30 days he should have relatively smooth sailing afterwards.

I test new builds for about 2 weeks, had lots of RMAs on memory, and some on motherboards, and hard drives during the testing periods. I've seldom had hardware issues with a build I've tested fully within 4-5 years. In fact I've never had a hardware problem with a build after fully testing and deploying since 2003 except for one cheap Biostar motherboard that just went kaput 2 years later.
Old February 8, 2011, 10:18 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The only difference, in reality, will be the price you pay.

If you enjoy tinkering on your own. Buy the parts seperately.

If you want a fast system, with good support(albeit maybe a little slower than Dell due to your location)for top dollar(ie. the best value for your money) then use NCIX.

If you want a show-off system, with great support, an awesome case and top-end components(all of which you can do with NCIX aside from the case) and don't mind paying the "alienware premium" then by all means get an alienware. They are great computers

I personally have the M11x because it is sexy and awesome. If I had the extra cash I would get an alienware machine myself too.

I recommend before you buy anything, post the specs you are looking at from the websites, and the pricing. Many here will help you and make sure you're not buying into something you may not ever need/use.

edit:
Don't forget the Alienware ALX type cases are a $1000-1200 unit. Those things are 100% unique, and friggen awesome. (IMHO)

If you choose Alienware, get the lowest ram option you can tolerate. Those items are the easiest to replace yourself. It will save you the huge premium they charge for those items.

Last edited by Inate8; February 8, 2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old February 8, 2011, 02:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inate8 View Post

If you choose Alienware, get the lowest ram option you can tolerate. Those items are the easiest to replace yourself. It will save you the huge premium they charge for those items.
ditto... lol, really watch what upgrades you get because they charge you a huge premium for certain upgrades.
Old February 8, 2011, 03:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
ditto... lol, really watch what upgrades you get because they charge you a huge premium for certain upgrades.

you better watch it thou with RAM! If I remember correctly, the MOBO on the Area-51 only has 3 DIMM's for RAM.

Tags
alienware , build , computer , ncix , overpriced , quality