Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2011, 03:47 PM
Top Prospect

If you can afford the luxury of having someone assemble a PC for you, as well as troubleshoot/repair it when the time comes, more power to you. Personally, I think that 99% of casual & gaming population have a budget of <$2500 for PC parts (excluding Monitor/Keyboard/Accessories). If you were ready to drop more than that, it's probably safe to say that you can easily afford it, retired, or single with no kids.

The plus of building it yourself is that you'll come out with a fair bit of chump change, as well as skill/knowledge.
Old February 6, 2011, 05:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock View Post
If you can afford the luxury of having someone assemble a PC for you, as well as troubleshoot/repair it when the time comes, more power to you. Personally, I think that 99% of casual & gaming population have a budget of <$2500 for PC parts (excluding Monitor/Keyboard/Accessories). If you were ready to drop more than that, it's probably safe to say that you can easily afford it, retired, or single with no kids.

The plus of building it yourself is that you'll come out with a fair bit of chump change, as well as skill/knowledge.
You can configure and buy a very good Alienware system for $2500.00 including key board etc. and be pretty much worry free as far as repairs etc are concerned. Don't get me wrong. I don't work for Dell or anything like that,I just feel they have a good product with a good warranty that matches or even betters anything you can build at the same price. Some times buying a pre built rig is a good thing. It's really nice letting someone else worry about keeping your computer running and up to date. My opinion people. Do what you will but consider ALL the options.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old February 6, 2011, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They most definitely do not offer a better warranty from my point of view. All of my parts have longer warranty than what you can buy from Dell, and it isn't an extra cost. I promise you I can build a much better rig than dell for significantly less, as can anyone else here.

However this is my opinion, and I LIKE building my own rig, and working on it etc. I see it as a learning experience and a chance to improve my knowledge if I run across issues. If I didn't want to build my own, I would still get a local PC shop to assemble it for me using custom parts.
Old February 6, 2011, 05:58 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sorry guys. I am picking Alienware on this one.

This has nothing to do with component quality or anything else for that matter but simple LOCATION. Dell has a robust customer service structure set up across the country and provides absolutely top-notch RMA services regardless of location. NCIX does not. Period.

Having a computer built by NCIX does NOTHING other than give you a service which builds the computer for you. ALL components are covered by individual manufacturer warranties which can cause a serious headache for someone living in an out-of-the way location. That goes doubly for someone who isn't absolutely familiar with troubleshooting PC problems and simply can't give their PC a frontal lobotomy when a component fails.

In addition, if I want I can call Dell / Alienware right now and get a technical service rep on the phone, set up a return if necessary, etc. NCIX can't claim that.

To me, ease of warranty and customer support are two huge selling factors.

Let's talk about shipping as well. Dell / Alienware offers free shipping across Canada, including the Territories, etc. Shipping the listed components from NCIX will cost at least $100. So add that to the list.

I stand by Dell / Alienware on this one folks.
Old February 6, 2011, 06:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Sorry guys. I am picking Alienware on this one.

This has nothing to do with component quality or anything else for that matter but simple LOCATION. Dell has a robust customer service structure set up across the country and provides absolutely top-notch RMA services regardless of location. NCIX does not. Period.

Having a computer built by NCIX does NOTHING other than give you a service which builds the computer for you. ALL components are covered by individual manufacturer warranties which can cause a serious headache for someone living in an out-of-the way location. That goes doubly for someone who isn't absolutely familiar with troubleshooting PC problems and simply can't give their PC a frontal lobotomy when a component fails.

In addition, if I want I can call Dell / Alienware right now and get a technical service rep on the phone, set up a return if necessary, etc. NCIX can't claim that.

To me, ease of warranty and customer support are two huge selling factors.

Let's talk about shipping as well. Dell / Alienware offers free shipping across Canada, including the Territories, etc. Shipping the listed components from NCIX will cost at least $100. So add that to the list.

I stand by Dell / Alienware on this one folks.
Uh, are we still gonna get sponsored? LoL...
Old February 6, 2011, 06:59 PM
Top Prospect

Imo, ur going to get alot more performance ordering from ncix..why pay more?
Old February 6, 2011, 10:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is the way I see it:

NCIX just puts everything together properly and makes sure it works before sending it off... You're then covered by whatever their terms are (for warranty). You then save money by sacrificing service/brand, so it's a great deal if nothing messes up.

Alienware charges you a FAT premium for their extended warranty coverage and brand. They hide $200-400 in the inflated costs of parts to pay for your nice warranty coverage (which you still pay for based on how many years you pick) and another $200 is just pure markup for the alienware brand.

Alienware is for people who want a cushy warranty service as this is all NCIX offers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCIX
This includes warranty coverage of the complete computer system (excluding monitor options, system options and software options, which are covered under individual warranties) as assembled and tested at NCIX.com. Please note that once all system components are in stock, our assembly department requires 2-3 business days to build and test your new system.
Also, NCIX will not install after market heatsink fans (which are only important if you over-clock your computer).
Old February 6, 2011, 10:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

While I personally believe Alienware PCs are a total ripoff no matter how you look at it, I think we all missed something very important here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by virkelie View Post
I live in the Northwest Territories.

No nearby NCIX.
Getting warranty replacements from NCIX is going to be horrendously time consuming and costly if something goes wrong. Not to mention there's no way for the OP to get any shipping deals at NCIX, a large chunk of the saved money will go to shipping. He has no choice but to pay the ridiculous premium on an Alienware.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:44 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
While I personally believe Alienware PCs are a total ripoff no matter how you look at it, I think we all missed something very important here:

Getting warranty replacements from NCIX is going to be horrendously time consuming and costly if something goes wrong. Not to mention there's no way for the OP to get any shipping deals at NCIX, a large chunk of the saved money will go to shipping. He has no choice but to pay the ridiculous premium on an Alienware.
Well, you can always use points or $50 for the VIP status. Any replacements warranties for the first 30 days or so should be smooth, after that, I don't know what their policy is. Also if he picks the parts and just has NCIX assemble it, then he'll be dealing with the OEMs if anything. One would hope/assume that he could do a shakedown and test the components for failures within the 1st 30 days and have relatively smooth sailing from there.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Unless things have changed and correct me if I am wrong but if ncix builds the system for you.. you get a full 1 year warranty on the system.
Closed Thread

Tags
alienware , build , computer , ncix , overpriced , quality