Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2011, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1 NCIX.

TBH, it isn't hard to research on the individual parts that you want to get. Just ask us and we'd be glad to help you.

As for USB3.0, just choose a case that has it. EX: HAFX

-Plato
Old February 5, 2011, 10:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't even look at Dell's warranty. If you order all of your parts from NCIX they'll all come with a 3, 5 or lifetime warranty - much longer than Dell's. Plus, you can count on the stuff you buy being premium parts, unlike the cheapo dell parts.
Old February 6, 2011, 07:48 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX all the way, pick out your components and it's a $50.00 Fee to assemble, they do a very good job.

Another Guy From Canada
Old February 6, 2011, 08:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

+1 for NCIX.

I agree with everyone about the Alienware-- they are really overpriced.
An Area-51 ALX with a factory-OCed i7-980X, Win7 Ultimate, 12GB of DDR3 1600, two 6950s, a 600GB RAID 1+0 array with 10000RPM drives plus an extra 600GB 10000RPM drive, a USB 3.0 card, one BR burner, and a 4-year premium service plan is $8382.

You can spend $8382 on a computer in a FAR superior way.

The board that comes in that thing doesn't even have space for both GPUs, the USB card, and a sound card!
Yet they give you twice as many expansion card options as will fit.
Old February 6, 2011, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by virkelie View Post
For instance:
- the GTX 580 Nvidea video card is not available with the area-51 (all the other major vendors already offer this card);
-maximum hard-drive size is 1.5tb (2 tb has been around for a long time); cache on the 1.5Tb is 32MB (64mb has been around for a while);
- going from 1333MHz DDR3 memory to 1600MHz costs $850 - this is outrageous (you can buy Corsair 3 sticks of 4GB 1600Mhz from a number of online stores for about $300);
- no USB 3.0 on the Dell motherboard

So with Dell/Alienware, you get an inferior video card, an inferior hard-drive, inferior RAM (unless you want to pay a premium of $850), and no USB 3.0; and despite all of this inferiority, the Alienware system still costs more than a system from NCIX with the latest video card, 2TB 64mb hard-drives, 1600MHz DDR3 Ram, and USB 3.0.

As I said in my initial post, the positive thing about Alienware is that it is reputed to have excellent build quality (but with inferior parts).

So NCIX offers superior parts, but can anyone speak of its build quality? cable management...? tech support?

I can't find any reviews of NCIX systems.
1) Power, case, and heat keep people from wanting to put large GPUs into pre-built cases

2) 2TB drives are better for storage not data and this is why drives likes 500gb or 1Tb drives are still more used for computers.

3) You'll see no relative difference between 4gb or 6gb let alone 1333 or 1600mhz ram. The lower clocked ram can have a tendency to clock higher, but building a Dell/Alienware good luck with clocking memory any different.

4) USB 3.0 hasn't taken off anywhere of which it has become mainstream so even consumer end cases are JUST finally starting to see USB 3.0 and those cases usually have have a cable that runs from the front port out the back and into the I/O panel.

So really your points aren't valid as they are doing what any other smart business would do.. unless you go with someone like NCIX and either build your own from parts you choose or something they build from their setup.
Old February 6, 2011, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyzac View Post
+1 for NCIX.

I agree with everyone about the Alienware-- they are really overpriced.
An Area-51 ALX with a factory-OCed i7-980X, Win7 Ultimate, 12GB of DDR3 1600, two 6950s, a 600GB RAID 1+0 array with 10000RPM drives plus an extra 600GB 10000RPM drive, a USB 3.0 card, one BR burner, and a 4-year premium service plan is $8382.

You can spend $8382 on a computer in a FAR superior way.

The board that comes in that thing doesn't even have space for both GPUs, the USB card, and a sound card!
Yet they give you twice as many expansion card options as will fit.
Take a look at my specs. I paid $5400.00 including tax and 3 year premium warranty. Prior to my buying my rig,I had a friend suggest building one for me. He is a member of this Forum and has built many computers so I trust him completely. He went on line [including NCIX] to price a build that would be the same as how I wanted my Alienware configured. The savings would have been a mere $600.00 and that did not include a warranty that would send a tech to your house if required. I don't think NCIX would upgrade any hardware you may need but Dell WILL. I don't know how you got over 8 grand but I can get one for a little over 5 grand with COMPLETE coverage. To me, it was well worth $600.00 more. The Area 51 will take 3 Video cards and a sound card as well as the USB 3 card. Plenty of room. The largest case I have ever seen. Lots of room to add fans etc. Can't go wrong with the Alienware systems. I KNOW!
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old February 6, 2011, 11:32 AM
MVP

My System Specs

To be honest I don't know how I got over 8 grand either... but that's just Alienware...
And "merely" $600?
Old February 6, 2011, 11:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I guess $600.00 IS a fair bit of money, but overall, the Area 51 ALX and the warranty it comes with,is well worth it to me. The one and ONLY thing I don't like about Dell is thier telephone support techs. Those guys really don't know much about thier own product. That is why this forum is so special. All the general tech info you will need is right here. Pretty much all other Dell or Aienware services are bang on. If you need replacement hardware,they send it and some other guy moves my 90 pound rig around to do any installs etc. If you complain enough,Dell will usually upgrade. Always negotiate with those guys. Especially when you are making a purchase. You would be surprised at what they will do to make the sale or make you happy if you are having a problem.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old February 6, 2011, 12:24 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I guess $600.00 IS a fair bit of money, but overall, the Area 51 ALX and the warranty it comes with,is well worth it to me. The one and ONLY thing I don't like about Dell is thier telephone support techs. Those guys really don't know much about thier own product. That is why this forum is so special. All the general tech info you will need is right here. Pretty much all other Dell or Aienware services are bang on. If you need replacement hardware,they send it and some other guy moves my 90 pound rig around to do any installs etc. If you complain enough,Dell will usually upgrade. Always negotiate with those guys. Especially when you are making a purchase. You would be surprised at what they will do to make the sale or make you happy if you are having a problem.
Six hundred dollars is another GTX 580, so yeah it is a fair bit of money. So you have a 3 year warranty on your parts and you think that makes it worth the price premium of buying an Alienware machine? Almost all the parts in my computer come with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer, and if not a lifetime then a three year at the very least.

From what I can tell from why you bought your machine was the simple convenience of not having to do your own dirty work. All the power to you in which case.

I'm going to have to give an NCIX machine a honorable mention to this as well. You'll get a far better bang for your buck.
Old February 6, 2011, 01:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by virkelie View Post
(In case anyone asks, I neither have the time nor the interest to build one myself).
IMO, judging from the above quote I am assuming you won't want to work on your rig either. Hopefully you don't that take the wrong way.... I'm not trying to be rude.

Any electronic hardware no matter what it is, is always prone to failure. If you won't want to be bothered with any hands-on troubleshooting, diagnosing, and swapping parts in the event of a hardware problem, OR if you don't feel comfortable in your PC's case, OR if you are just not capable of it....... then I suggest if you go with Alienware.

Get what you can afford and game your a$$ off!!
Closed Thread

Tags
alienware , build , computer , ncix , overpriced , quality