Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2011, 12:44 PM
Rookie

Default Sandy Bridge build, need advice?

Approximate Purchase Date: february 12th
Budget Range: 1100 including tax, before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, autocad, surfing,
Parts Not Required: just looking at building the tower i have all other components

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: i would prefer to get the parts from either newegg canada or ncix canada
Parts Preferences: I'm just looking for a mid tower case, intel sandy bridge processor with 2 22' screens

Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe
Monitor Resolution: my monitor resolutions are both 1920x1080

Some components ive been looking at are:

Corsair HX650

G.skill ripjaws 8GB 2x4 rated at cas 9 at 1600

asus p8p67 evo board

i5 2500k processor

WD blue 500g harddrive ( I hope to upgrade to SSD and a WD 2tb green later but it looks like the budget wont allow it at the moment)

MSI (gtx 460 cyclone or if i can make it work a gtx 560 twin frozer. Both cards are 1 gig)

coolmaster hyper 212 heatsink ( to overclock the unlocked i5) :D

I am really undecided on the case sadly. I've been looking anywhere from the antec 300 to 900 as well as the corsair 600t or 650d which was showcased at ces. The only restraint i have is that it has to be a mid tower. I would really like a window and for it to be quiet but if i cant get the window quiet is first definitely top priority.
Old January 30, 2011, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Your build looks good for the most part, I'm sure you should be able to squeeze a 560 into that budget, an SSD should probably be off the list for now.

For the HDD, I'd get a cheap performance Hitachi or Samsung. Two things that I never liked about current WD drives are that the Blues is they have a noticeable disk spin noise (not vibrations) and the Blacks have insanely loud seeks. Both of these noise factors are hard to eliminate. Hitachi drives often have worse vibration issues, but that can be avoided with anti vibration mounting.

As for the case, silence and window usually don't come in one package. Silencing a windowed case usually involves spending extra on fan controllers and better fans at the bare minimum. Don't go for any aluminum cases, they'll either be too expensive for you or inadequate for silent operation. Sturdy steel cases only in your situation.

I managed to get my old Lexa S pretty quiet, replaced all the case fans and did a lot of molex rewiring for 5v and 7v. In the end the fans I ended up buying cost more than the case itself.

Have you looked at the Zalman Z9 Plus? I recently had the chance to demo one in person, and boy does it offer amazing value. It uses 4 of Zalman's sleeve bearing fans which are quiet enough and undervolt very well. A single channel 2 output fan controller is included. The entire design is very well thought out for a budget case, which makes for a fairly easy build. You can pricematch it to $55 at NCIX from DirectCanada. Would be a lot cheaper than the cases you mentioned and it would definitely free up budget space.

If you want a good case, I would wait until somebody comes out with something that will just WOW you before dumping a significant investment into it.
Old January 31, 2011, 10:33 AM
Top Prospect

I'm going to toss out that the C600T is by no means a 'mid-tower' case. It's cavernous, that means not quite as tall as a full tower, but definitely wider. Other options would be the CM Storm Scout, and NZXT Tempest Evo, both go for about $67 after taxes and rebates at the moment.
Old January 31, 2011, 10:55 PM
Rookie

I dont mind a slightly bigger case. Ive measured it out and the 600 would fit however i have also been looking at the tempest evo and the zalman z9 plus. Both of which to me at least seem a little gaoddy like not horrible but the corsairs just seem to have a bit of class to them. is there anything you can recommend thats a little more subtle?

im also looking for one with perpendicular at the least or removable hard drive bays
Old January 31, 2011, 10:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

You might want to hold off and wait till the dust settles:

Design Flaw In Intel 6 Series Chipset Halts Manufacturing and Recalls Imminent

Looks like all the 1155 boards are been pulled from the shelves anyway...
Old January 31, 2011, 11:06 PM
Rookie

yeah i read.Though ill still be aiming for a SB just later down the road now i guess. Still im hoping to have decided on all the parts by the time that comes around. Do you have any suggestions on the case?
Old January 31, 2011, 11:09 PM
Top Prospect

Would you consider the Coolermaster 690 II case? It's an excellent mid-tower that fits your description (not gaudy). You would save about $30-40, and it'll allow you to upgrade your graphics card to the 560 Ti.
Old January 31, 2011, 11:13 PM
Banned
F@H

or the 912? can be had for under 50 bucks too :)
Old January 31, 2011, 11:14 PM
Rookie

Stock thats actually not a bad case at all.
MY only question would be if it has a big brother that has a window and or if you know anything about how quiet the case is :)
Old January 31, 2011, 11:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippindeath View Post
yeah i read.Though ill still be aiming for a SB just later down the road now i guess. Still im hoping to have decided on all the parts by the time that comes around. Do you have any suggestions on the case?
Antec 300's can be had for dirt cheap... around $60. Have seen them as low as $30. with rebates. Decent enough case for the price.