Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2011, 01:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
Um, that seems a bit high still with pricematches. Also what Power Supply do you plan on using?

A CM-400

I was not expecting this level of interest/support, otherwise I would have refined my OP lol.

I've listed the Stock Codes for my entire quote below so those that feel inclined can simply copy & paste on a site of their choosing (shopbot?)

AC-AC-FAN-120MM-3 ARCTIC COOLER

AWLH6075 WIRELESS ADAPTER

EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD VIDEO CARD

BH10LS30.AVBR10B BLU-RAY BURNER

BX80623I5200 CPU

CB_0001W POWER ADAPTER

EYD-OOO23-SINGLE USB

KVR1333D3N9/4G RAM

P8H67-M-LX MOTHERBOARD

RC-370-KKR400 COOLER MASTER

WD1002FAEX HDD

GFC-00599 OS

The shop I'm dealing with has a package deal for the P8H67 Motherboard/case/ fan/power supply etc etc....but I wanted to upgrade the CPU and add a few particulars so anything 'missing' off this list has been rolled in with my final quote of $1,101.00
Old January 30, 2011, 02:06 AM
Top Prospect

What we're trying to tell you is that you have listed some obsolete parts which should be replaced completely, such as the Ge210. As Ilya has suggested, the Sandybridge i5-2500 processor has a built in integrated graphics support that meets all your needs, and is supported on the H67 motherboard. Its performance is very comparable to the Ge210, from results tested here.

For your build, I swapped out the RAM..just brand and experience preference. Same with the power supply..I went for what was cheaper yet same/better quality. And out of curiosity, what are CB_0001W POWER ADAPTER and EYD-OOO23-SINGLE USB?

Your build should be something like this
$43 RAM
$94 OS
$80 HDD
$92 Mobo
$38 Case
$35 PSU (this can sometimes be found for <$20 with a MIR)
$210 CPU
$100 ODD
$<75 Peripherals (wireless card/fan)
$50 assembly fee

That totals to ~$800, with room to toss in a sweet SSD.

Last edited by Stock; January 30, 2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old January 30, 2011, 02:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

With regards to the graphics card, you could just get a motherboard in the same price bracket with an HDMI output. You can get boards with all 4 mainstream standards (HDMI/DP/DVI/VGA) for ~$100. If you're really set on that package, that's another story.

If you want more search engines, scroll up and click "Price Compare." A few other useful ones are pricebat.ca and the tool offered by Canada Post.

Is the power supply you're talking about this one? Cooler Master Elite Power 400 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets
I'd look into a different unit, it's not bad, but there are better for ~$35. (I assume you're getting it for ~$25) A cheap Seasonic or Sparkle would do the trick.

Would it be possible to provide a price breakdown? Like others have said, I'm still finding it hard to believe that a system for your needs costs a grand after pricematching, even if it includes assembly/OS/etc. Not to mention the case+PSU can be had for $50-$60.
Old January 30, 2011, 02:29 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
With regards to the graphics card, you could just get a motherboard in the same price bracket with an HDMI output. You can get boards with all 4 mainstream standards (HDMI/DP/DVI/VGA) for ~$100. If you're really set on that package, that's another story.

If you want more search engines, scroll up and click "Price Compare." A few other useful ones are pricebat.ca and the tool offered by Canada Post.

Is the power supply you're talking about this one? Cooler Master Elite Power 400 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets
I'd look into a different unit, it's not bad, but there are better for ~$35. (I assume you're getting it for ~$25) A cheap Seasonic or Sparkle would do the trick.

Would it be possible to provide a price breakdown? Like others have said, I'm still finding it hard to believe that a system for your needs costs a grand after pricematching, even if it includes assembly/OS/etc. Not to mention the case+PSU can be had for $50-$60.

This is what I was shown

Cooler Master Elite 370 RC-370-KKR400 Chassis - Cases - Price Comparison - Housing and Cooling - Cases - Computers - 26603308

I'm going to go back on Monday (if I have time) and get a quote that breaks it down $$ more clearly and update my post here. I really appreciate the help, by this point you guys know how 'wet behind the ears' I am with this.

Last edited by The Quicken; January 30, 2011 at 02:38 AM. Reason: b/c I don't believe in proof reading
Old January 30, 2011, 02:32 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock View Post
What we're trying to tell you is that you have listed some obsolete parts which should be replaced completely, such as the Ge210. As Ilya has suggested, the Sandybridge i5-2500 processor has a built in integrated graphics support that meets all your needs, and is supported on the H67 motherboard. Its performance is very comparable to the Ge210, from results tested here.

For your build, I swapped out the RAM..just brand and experience preference. Same with the power supply..I went for what was cheaper yet same/better quality. And out of curiosity, what are CB_0001W POWER ADAPTER and EYD-OOO23-SINGLE USB?

Your build should be something like this
$43 RAM
$94 OS
$80 HDD
$92 Mobo
$38 Case
$35 PSU (this can sometimes be found for <$20 with a MIR)
$210 CPU
$100 ODD
$<75 Peripherals (wireless card/fan)
$50 assembly fee

That totals to ~$800, with room to toss in a sweet SSD.
Wow, THANK YOU, this is what I needed but I didn't expect anyone to take the time and 'hold my hand' lol.
I'm going to save that list, only thing is Hyperlink for the HDD is broken

I'm doing my research on the SSD's.