Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2011, 11:21 PM
Rookie

Default A newb's Sandy Bridge build

First off, Hello fellow 'canucks.'
I've been reading reviews on this site for years.. but I don't recall ever actually registering or posting here before. Decided it was time.

I was recently laid off, and was saving money to buy another toy (see: cars), but now have decided to spend less than I was going to before, on a new computer.

My current rig:

S939 AMD x2 4600+ (stock clocks, with a Zalman CNPS 9700)
Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe
2x 7900 GTO's in SLi with Zalman coolers on them, (OC'd to hell. Numbers vary depending on the program/game)
2x 7200 RPM SATA2 HDD's
540w OCZ Modular PSU (actual model name escapes me)
on XP Home
and a bunch of other generic stuff.

Currently I'm playing Starcraft 2 on high settings, ~30fps stable, but 3v3's and 4v4's are killing me.
Not bad for 5-6 years old. :)

The new build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K quad core Sandy Bridge
Mobo: ASUS P8P67 Pro ATX P67 LGA1155
Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D
HDD(1-OS only): Patriot Memory Torqx m28 128gb SSD. (Won in a random event my clan put on. Wee )
HDD(2): Undecided. Considering another SSD for gaming related stuff. Might stick with Gaming stuff on the OS SSD, and get a 1tb drive for junk.

Other stuff (already own:
Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Mechanical Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech MX518 gaming mouse (for now and forever.)
Headset: Astro A40 audio system.

That's as far into it as I've gotten for my list of parts. I've come here asking for help with a few things..

First off, I have no clue what I should be getting for RAM. Looking at an 8gb setup, and it has to be overclocking friendly. Looking for a mid-high end price range, lower is better, but I won't be sacrificing compatibility and potential performance for an extra $10 less.
I realize the 2600K is limited to 1333mHz ram. I would really like to get Corsair Dominator series RAM, but the ~$200 range I'm looking at is all 1600mhz. Will using a 1600mhz ram not work properly? Also, Corsair recommends this for the motherboard I listed above. It's got an even higher mHz rating. Confused.

My PSU. I've been bouncing between 1000w and 850w in my mind. I know an 850w will handle this build just fine, but I'm not sure it will have enough leeway for an OC'd i7 2600K, and an OC'd 5xx series nVidia card. Any thoughts? The decision will be based upon the cable length (as the case is a behemoth), relatively low noise, and exceptional performance. I'd like to be around the $200 range.
The CoolerMaster SilentPro's are really nice looking setups, but aren't particularly quiet, but more importantly, the cables have been said to be "shorter" than average. =/
Edit: I've decided on an Antec 1000w. NCIX has them on for dirt cheap for the rest of today, so I shall purchase it while I can. :)

My GPU. I would really like to get a eVGA 580gtx, but I just don't know if I am willing to spend that kind of cash for a card right now. I'm open to suggestions, but I will ONLY buy eVGA.

I'm also in the market for a ~high level sound card, as I have an Astro A40 headset to play with, so I'd like something of quality for sound output.

I'm looking into getting a "USB switch" so that I can run two computers over 3 monitors, but with the same keyboard/mouse. Not sure if this is even possible, or at all practical, but it's something I'd like to be able to do.

Lastly, the OS. I've looked at a number of writeups about Windows 7 Professional vs Ultimate, and the few differences between them. I'd like to hear some feedback from actual consumers out there.. am I going to end up using the few extra features, and is it worth the extra $40 I'd have to spend to get it?

As for the "decided" things, I've put in a lot of research, and would love to wait for a "Classified" series motherboard to come out, but I can't be spending $300 on a motherboard right now. I decided on the i7 due to sustainability with overclocking and the fact that I won't be upgrading for a while.
And the case. Well it's a godly thing, I've seen one in person, and it's amazing. Something I want. :)

So there, that's my plea for advice/suggestions/comments/hatemail. I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to hardware and such, but I've been out of the buying/upgrading game for quite some time, so I'm quite behind the crowd right now. I know nothing about RAM, so that is a key point.

Thanks,
Keith.

Last edited by Ikuorai; January 26, 2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old January 26, 2011, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Replace the 2600k with a 2500k and put the saved cash towards your GPU purchase. You could also save some money by choosing a different motherboard. If your build is for gaming and you're on air, there's no need to spring for a top model board.
Old January 26, 2011, 11:37 AM
Banned
F@H

welcome dude.

as per above, ram wise corsair, gskill,etc. dont buy ocz.

psu, look for a special on an m12d

hdd wise, ssd or black/f3 for os and a green for storage.

case wise, how about a cm 912/922

lcd maybe a sammy/dell 24 incher?

gpu wise, one 560 will do ok, but if you need more power,

than the 580 may be.

and so on :)
Old January 26, 2011, 01:36 PM
Rookie

Already have an SSD and I just picked up another at a local computer store that was on sale.
I've decided on this RAM:
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 Vengeance 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit - CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 In Canada.
(Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 Vengeance 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit)

And I'm wary about getting an i5. I'll be overclocking the cpu out of the box..
Old January 26, 2011, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't think anyone said anything about an i5. I only mentioned going for the 2500k over the 2600k.

You could also save about $30 on the memory. For example: NCIX.com - Buy G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory - F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL In Canada.. Gaming performance would be virtually identical to the memory you listed.
Old January 26, 2011, 02:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

You can overclock i5 2500k out of the box...
Why 800D? plan to watercool in the future?

I would probably go for the gtx 560 or 570... 580 if you wanting to pay the premium.. you'd probably will see better performance SLI'ing 2 560's
Old January 26, 2011, 03:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
I don't think anyone said anything about an i5. I only mentioned going for the 2500k over the 2600k.

2500k = i5
2600k = i7

I'm getting the i5 2500k, as it outperforms the 2600K in MANY situations, and I really don't need HyperThreading. This is a gaming machine, and won't be used for folding or anything of the like.
And I've actually changed a bit of stuff. The obsidian I am getting special ordered through OTV in my city, at a REALLY good price.
I plan on adding watercooling eventually, so I think this case will be a good idea.
I'm getting Windows 7 Professional, as I don't need BitLock.
And I'm on the fence on the RAM still. G.Skill stuff looks good, so considering it heavily.

As for video cards, I'm looking for long term usage. I plan on getting the 580, and then getting a second 580 down the line. I don't upgrade that often, so when I do I like it to be a good build for a few years.
Old January 26, 2011, 03:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Oh, damn. I didn't realize the 2500k carries the i5 tag. Having said that, it won't hamper your overclocking ability as vohie says.
Old January 26, 2011, 03:08 PM
Rookie

Reading up on the i5 2500k on Anandtech, it actually outclocks the i7 2600k in many ways. On air it is 5-10 degrees C cooler under load.
Old January 26, 2011, 03:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

That's probably due to hyperthreading.