Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2011, 11:45 PM
Rookie

Default Help in determining primary SSD

Hey everyone,

As of right now, I'm running Windows 7 off of a WD Caviar Black 500gb, with another 250gb Samsung drive as backup. About a week ago, I bought a 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 and the sata 6gb/s version of the 1TB WD Caviar Black.

I had originally planned to use the Vertex 2 as a boot drive, and to possibly hold a few of my most played games, with the 1TB holding the rest and the other two drives as backup. Now with a Crucial C300 64gb in the mix, I'm not so sure what to do.

I really like the Vertex 2, as it's a really well-balanced SSD and has really good read/write speeds, but I can't get over the fact the C300 has a much better read speed and a vastly lower response time. My rig was created for the sole purpose of gaming and gaming alone. The reason for buying the 1TB WD was to hold the rest of my games (as the 500gb is almost full) and to hold videos I plan on converting from an old 8mm camcorder to digital, something that I'll only be doing temporarily (finished once they are all converted). These videos will go to the 500gb and 250gb drives now instead.

I'm planning on installing my most-played games on both of the SSDs, but the primary SSD seems more and more to be the C300 64gb, since once the games are installed, the read speed is what will matter the most. I typically play TF2, L4D2, SC2, and COD:BO. I highly doubt all of these fitting the C300 along with the OS, but TF2 and L4D2 would get top priority and the other two can go on the Vertex 2. As it stands, my games and programs would probably trickle down in this pathway, from highest resources/priority to lowest:

C300 -> Vertex 2 -> 1TBWD -> 500GBWD -> 250GB Samsung

Again, the sole purpose is gaming, so with that in mind I need help in choosing the best primary SSD for Win 7 and a few games (and the few other things I'm doing).

On a side note my motherboard (Gigabyte P55A-UD4P) supports sata 6gb/s (or sata 3.0), so the C300, and the 1TB WD to a lesser extent, will benefit from this.

Is this the best configuration to go with, or should I switch the SSD's around? Am I missing something (the sata 3.0 controller on the mobo perhaps)?

Thank you for the input!
Old January 22, 2011, 12:29 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sequetianl read and write speed is a terrible way to chose one SSD over another for your OS drive. The most important number for an OS drive is 4K read and 4k write speed. Both are very good. Both are going net results too close to tell the difference on unless you are benchmark junkie.

"vastly lowered response time"....ummm....yeah. BOTH drives response time are so below the minimum amount of time that a human can perceive that once again the dif will NOT be noticeable in real world situations. Both are killer fast. Its only SSD nuts and storage snobs that get excited over 10ths /100ths / 1000ths of a millisecond. ;)

I assume you have already purchased the C300? If so (and "I" wanted to run with two SSDs in "my" rig), I would load the OS and your fav apps on the SF drive, and leave the C300 for games. Game load time will be lower with the C300 thanks to the higher seq speed of the Marvel controller...but once again unless the games have HUGE maps the dif between them will not be massive in the difference (most likely a second or three). BUT you have both might as well make best use of both. ;)

IF you havent already purchased the C300...it wouldnt be a great use of your money. Its not like your Vertex2 SSD is "slow" or anything! More importantly the C400s are coming out very, very soon now and you will be kicking yourself in the arse if you pay full price for a c300 now. ;)

As for hdds, yup 1TB WD black is where the stuff that wont fit on your SSDs should go as it will be the fastest of your three HDDS. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 22, 2011, 09:11 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Sequetianl read and write speed is a terrible way to chose one SSD over another for your OS drive. The most important number for an OS drive is 4K read and 4k write speed. Both are very good. Both are going net results too close to tell the difference on unless you are benchmark junkie.

"vastly lowered response time"....ummm....yeah. BOTH drives response time are so below the minimum amount of time that a human can perceive that once again the dif will NOT be noticeable in real world situations. Both are killer fast. Its only SSD nuts and storage snobs that get excited over 10ths /100ths / 1000ths of a millisecond. ;)

I assume you have already purchased the C300? If so (and "I" wanted to run with two SSDs in "my" rig), I would load the OS and your fav apps on the SF drive, and leave the C300 for games. Game load time will be lower with the C300 thanks to the higher seq speed of the Marvel controller...but once again unless the games have HUGE maps the dif between them will not be massive in the difference (most likely a second or three). BUT you have both might as well make best use of both. ;)

IF you havent already purchased the C300...it wouldnt be a great use of your money. Its not like your Vertex2 SSD is "slow" or anything! More importantly the C400s are coming out very, very soon now and you will be kicking yourself in the arse if you pay full price for a c300 now. ;)

As for hdds, yup 1TB WD black is where the stuff that wont fit on your SSDs should go as it will be the fastest of your three HDDS. ;)
Hey AkG,

Thanks for the reply! That explains a lot.

I actually won the C300 in a contest after already buying the Vertex 2, which is why I was stuck figuring this out.

I'll store my more intensive stuff in the C300 then, and keep the Vertex 2 as the OS drive.

I just wanted to ask another question. If I install the Vertex 2 as the OS drive, will it read and write to the C300 based on its own rated speeds, or those of the C300? Meaning, if I were to install/run a program on the C300 with the Vertex 2 running as my main drive (OS), would the V2 take the speeds of the V2 when installing/running on the C300, or the speeds of the C300?

Thank you!
Old January 22, 2011, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah IOPs (4k read/write) is by far the most important factor in 'typical' performance for games/applications.

I'd really suggest you put the OS on the weaker of the two drives and put your games that don't have huge loading sequences (i.e. WoW has to load tons all the time, but many FPS games just load a moderate amount) on that drive too. That way you'll see the maximum benefit to your games.

It's sort of complicated, but to put it simply, you will find that each drive is able to 'produce' at it's own rated speeds as the OS is mostly stored on your RAM and that beats the pants of the read/write speed of any SSD.
Old January 22, 2011, 01:08 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup each will go at their own speed. The only time they wont is IF you are installing say a downloaded app from one of them to the other...and tbh you should be Dling to your wd 1TB hd. Take the occasional hit and gain extended lifespan. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 22, 2011, 03:00 PM
Rookie

Hmmm alright thanks for the responses guys.

So I'll go with the V2 as the primary drive w/ the OS, and the C300 for the more intensive games and apps.

Thanks so much, this helped me a lot!

Tags
60gb , 64gb , c300 , vertex 2