Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2011, 02:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonmouth View Post
I did an edit to post #8

Take a look at the link and see what you think. I have no clue.
Running Ultra on my LED Screen, in Orgrimmar I hit almost 99% on both cards. Both cards work in the game, without fail. And they always have.
Even on my GX2's when I played (Dual GPU Card) I had no problems.

Unless I am seriously missing something here (which who knows), SLI/X-fire are things that are done on the Hardware level with Drivers that are designed to make them work optimally in game.
I really don't think they don't know what they are talking about. But lets not rule out that I could be missing or mistaken on something.
I'm just very sure when I play both my cards rocket up in usage/temps/and both go out of 2D clock mode into 3D once i start playing.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 15, 2011, 02:48 PM
Rookie

I did try SLI back in 2008ish but i admit that my CPU power was not very good and the cards did not cut it and i did not notice any change in FPS or performance.

I don't doubt they have made improvements since then.

This build i am doing should last many years and i dont want to drop any more cash a year down the line so i am scared that if i put in a SLI setup i may be wasting that money when i could use it to buy a 6990 or a 585.

I am trying to go super high end of the bat so i wont hurt myself later.

Thanks for the reply.
Old January 16, 2011, 05:48 AM
MVP

HD6970
Samsung BX2450. For the budget/power of you rig you should consider a 30" 1600 display :)
+ for better mouse/keyboard combo.
Pimp up the case to Silverstone Fortress FT02B-W. You can afford it and it will handle HD69xx in CF better than any.
NoctuaNHC14 heatsink but check if it fits with those vengeance RAM kits.
Seasonic X Series 850 ( newest and Corsair gets (edite:most of) its PSUs from them)

Value wise, you're better off getting an i5 2500k + Asus P8P67 Pro + HD 6950.

Last edited by Luay79; January 16, 2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old January 16, 2011, 03:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
HD6970
Samsung BX2450. For the budget/power of you rig you should consider a 30" 1600 display :)
+ for better mouse/keyboard combo.
Pimp up the case to Silverstone Fortress FT02B-W. You can afford it and it will handle HD69xx in CF better than any.
NoctuaNHC14 heatsink but check if it fits with those vengeance RAM kits.
Seasonic X Series 850 ( newest and Corsair gets its PSUs from them)

Value wise, you're better off getting an i5 2500k + Asus P8P67 Pro + HD 6950.
Not entirelly true, CWT does the HX series for all but the HX650 which is Seasonic. And a lot of times you will find Corsair to be cheaper than Seasonic on similar models. But if you go with either one you will be fine.
You could also opt for Silverstone's new strider plus Gold. I haven't seen one ripped apart yet but supposedly its a tweaked version of their Enhance Platform, and its really good.

My thoughts on the PSU.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old January 16, 2011, 09:26 PM
MVP

Soul, AX750/850 is made by Seasonic.
Old January 17, 2011, 06:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
Soul, AX750/850 is made by Seasonic.
I know, if you look at my post though you'll see I put HX not AX

ST

Old January 19, 2011, 10:41 AM
Rookie

So with the advice of some posters and checking of some e-tailer pricing i changed my oder from the AX750 to the Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 which i agree will be much better in the long run

While looking around i came across a great deal on some GPU's so i picked up a few of them as well.

Let me know what you think of these cards. 284.00 a card plus free shipping, never have ordered from Newegg though. any thoughts on the service from them?

SAPPHIRE 100312SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB

great deal and they can be flashed to a 6970 bios.
Old January 19, 2011, 10:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Good stuff, I got my XFX 6950 today, so I'll be messing around with it as well. From what I've read they are very good cards for the price point.

Although I almost wanted to register on that website you linked to blast them for what they say about X-fire and SLI on WoW lol.

I think you will do perfect.

ST

Old January 19, 2011, 11:06 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the advice.

Im excited about my new rig my will not be able to use it until March . Work sucks.

On a side note, do you think i will have problems fitting those 2 cards into my Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Mid Tower

It claims: Supports graphic card lengths up to circa 290mm and CPU coolers with height of maximum circa 165mm

You think i will have any problems with my cooler and GPU's?