Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2011, 10:15 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 22
Default New SB system and first time building

Hello!

So I decided to get a SB system alongside to go with my mb 13inch instead of selling and going for a Vaio Z (more $ up front now but way more performance and future proof with SB).

Also, I have now decided to build it myself rather than having NCIX build it for me.

This will be my first time building a desktop and I understand that assembling is not hard. After booting it though, what kind of "tests" should I be doing? At NCIX they do some kind of overnight testing, stress tests etc. and is that all necessary for a brand new computer?

Q: What are your steps after the first power up of a new build?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2011, 10:27 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 211
Default

A: Celebrate and install Windows OS.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2011, 11:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort St. John, BC
Posts: 1,217

My System Specs

Default

As long as you don't get any defective hardware and you plug everything in right, it just works! :D

It's time consuming and you have to be careful not to damage anything (especially about ESD)! Otherwise, it's straight forward and can be very rewarding to turn it on and see it work. As soon as you install widows:

1) install your drivers that came with the hardware (do them until you're forced to restart your computer)and use Disk management to enable any secondary storage drives (if you install more than 1). Don't worry about using the internet or installing programs yet.

2) Restart (or if it restarted for some other reason, continue) and then run Windows Experience Index.

3) Install all of your basic programs (other web browsers, steam, microsoft/open office, etc) and finish installing/updating your drivers and windows. Then set your basic windows settings (simple things that won't screw up your computer like control panel options + start-up items in msconfig, etc). Depending on your hardware/needs and OS version this step may take 30 minutes or 3 hours :P

4) Create a disk image of your new OS with pristine condition and all of your basics installed/updated. Trust me, this is a great idea if you mess anything up in the next couple weeks.

5) Use it like a normal computer and enjoy :D
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 14, 2011, 12:16 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

best thing to do, is make sure you put cpu and ram in, gpu if oboard wont be used/not available and boot it right on the mobo box.

this way you dont go tru the mounting in the case and short/such thing and no boot.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old January 14, 2011, 12:19 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
As long as you don't get any defective hardware and you plug everything in right, it just works! :D

It's time consuming and you have to be careful not to damage anything (especially about ESD)! Otherwise, it's straight forward and can be very rewarding to turn it on and see it work. As soon as you install widows:

1) install your drivers that came with the hardware (do them until you're forced to restart your computer)and use Disk management to enable any secondary storage drives (if you install more than 1). Don't worry about using the internet or installing programs yet.

2) Restart (or if it restarted for some other reason, continue) and then run Windows Experience Index.

3) Install all of your basic programs (other web browsers, steam, microsoft/open office, etc) and finish installing/updating your drivers and windows. Then set your basic windows settings (simple things that won't screw up your computer like control panel options + start-up items in msconfig, etc). Depending on your hardware/needs and OS version this step may take 30 minutes or 3 hours :P

4) Create a disk image of your new OS with pristine condition and all of your basics installed/updated. Trust me, this is a great idea if you mess anything up in the next couple weeks.

5) Use it like a normal computer and enjoy :D

What's the ESD that can be damaged you are referring to?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old January 14, 2011, 06:50 AM
gingerbee's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Posts: 6,824

My System Specs

Default

install part.
install windows
install drivers
run Ninite Easy PC Setup - Silent Unattended Install Multiple Programs At Once
enjoy your new machine.
__________________
Fav quote "One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret." Ronin Harris
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old January 14, 2011, 07:45 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,063

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
best thing to do, is make sure you put cpu and ram in, gpu if oboard wont be used/not available and boot it right on the mobo box.

this way you dont go tru the mounting in the case and short/such thing and no boot.

Dan, sorry mate absolutely no reason to do this. Chances of shorting something are remote at best.

ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old January 14, 2011, 08:44 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Dan, sorry mate absolutely no reason to do this. Chances of shorting something are remote at best.

ST
i must've phrased it wrong, bro.

boot it on the mobo box BEFORE going to install it just in case. of the many builds ive done, it teached me not to be lazy and take 2 mins of my time.

if i know the configuration, like what i usually build, not necessary.

if something new?
im gonna be didly sure i see the bios screen before continuing :)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old January 14, 2011, 08:49 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,063

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
i must've phrased it wrong, bro.

boot it on the mobo box BEFORE going to install it just in case. of the many builds ive done, it teached me not to be lazy and take 2 mins of my time.

if i know the configuration, like what i usually build, not necessary.

if something new?
im gonna be didly sure i see the bios screen before continuing :)
Sorry, but I am going to disagree with you Dan. In the countless builds I have done, and have taught people to do, I have yet to see a short out cause an issue. I just don't see it as a necessary step,

ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old January 14, 2011, 08:59 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

the short part was the bad wording :)

just boot it up on the mobo box, on your table, whatever. peace of mind.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Time Ever Building Ty247 New Builds 7 December 27, 2010 11:03 PM
My i3 System (Building in 1-2 weeks) DigitalSniper45 New Builds 33 August 16, 2010 08:02 PM
Building a new computer for the first time! Anant New Builds 43 April 30, 2010 01:45 PM
Building a new I7 system billionaireclub New Builds 10 February 21, 2010 05:26 AM
[WTB] Building time of the year : Core i7 Rig Minimal DJ Buy/Sell & Trade 5 September 3, 2009 09:12 AM