Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2011, 06:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default My Sandy Bridge Build

So, after 3 years of my current system (see My System Specs), I've decided to jump on the new Intel Sandy Bridge. I'm going to recycle the majority of my components, but I decided to go with the following:

New Components
Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Intel 2600k
Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
Old Components
Coolermaster CM-690
Seasonic M12D-850
XFX Radeon 6950
WDC WD1001FALS
Seagate ST31500341AS
Pioneer BDR-205
Pioneer DVR-215

Now I know this stuff is relatively new, but anyone know what sort of high end cooler will fit this rig and cool it well. I don't think I'll OC right away since this is a pretty decent upgrade over my current rig from a CPU standpoint, but I will definitely OC sometime in the near future I'm sure. I really like Noctua's stuff, and according to their site, the NH-U12P SE2 will fit this board, but never having seen one in person, not sure if it'll fit in my case. The current Vendetta 2 I have fits with maybe an inch from the side panel.

Appreciate any feedback on this new rig too as always.
Old January 13, 2011, 10:55 PM
Banned
F@H

get the 2500 if you dont make use of the extra threads(folding,rendering....)

any 1156 cooler will work, with respect to clearance on the ram etc.

although even on stock you can ok decently(read massively) so dont buy one unless you strive for silence, then get an ndh14 or hr-02, if they fit your case. if.
Old January 14, 2011, 03:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The one point always in Noctua's favour is their mounting systems, which not only are excellent, but are updated to match new configurations. In fact, they'll send you new mounting hardware for free to allow you to use older heatsinks on new boards:

Noctua Extends Free Mounting Kit Offer and Confirms LGA1155 Compatibility | Hardware Canucks

I've not had to do so, but I can testify their customer service was absolutely hassle-free when I had to replace a fan (and to be clear, I'm still not sure if the fan killed the mobo or the mobo killed the fan, as both the mobo's fan headers and the fan stopped working at the same time).
Old January 14, 2011, 05:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I already bought the 2600k, just waiting for NCIX to fulfill my in store pickup, I wasn't too concerned with the extra cost to get the latest and greatest at this time, plus since I tend to upgrade every 3+ years, figure I'll bite the bullet and get the good stuff now. :)

dangtx, so you don't recommend the NH-U12P SE2? Is there a reason why? And I definitely strive for silence, I can't stand a noisy PC, which is why I'm waiting on a good cooling solution for the 6950.

Galcobar, how does Noctua's warranty work? I've never had to use it, but I have 5+ of their case fans in my 2 PCs and love their products, great quality.
Old January 14, 2011, 09:37 AM
MVP

Noctua NHC14 is the new model and it's the same size. Buy at your own risk as it is a massive cooler. Usually it has more problems fitting next to the RAM than the case.

Your system is great! Not sure what your HD is. As for your $250 motherboard, Asus Sabertooth, P8P67 Pro, MSI G65 and Gigabyte UD4 are good options as well.

If you're not going dual GPU, Giabyte UD3 is good.
Old January 14, 2011, 07:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The HDD is the Caviar Black 1TB, good enough for my needs I'd say.

I've also decided to swap out the Kingston (which was backordered) to the G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL.
Hopefully that won't cause any problems with clearance for the large coolers.
With regards the NHC14, I see that my board is on the compatible list from Noctua, so I should be good.
Old January 14, 2011, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Most G.Skill Ripjaws ram fits under Noctua towers.

NCIX has the Hitachi 1TB desktar for $47 in store this weekend, performance is almost as good, seeks are a lot less noisy and it comes at almost half the price. The Blacks, especially the models with the revised platters, are horrific in terms in seek noise. With all the disk thrashing Windows does, all you'll hear is your hard drive grinding. With AAM maxed out and after suspending the drive, the older platter revision is bearable, but the newer ones are still really bad. Do note that the Hitachi vibrates a lot more, I'd suggest suspending the drive, or at least use vibration dampeners, if you don't, it'll be almost as noisy as the Black.

The only differences between the 2600K and the 2500K are hyperthreading and a slightly higher stock multiplier. TBH you probably won't ever need it, in fact you might even get worse performance having it on. But if you honestly think the $100 premium is worth it, go ahead.

TBH I don't see a difference between the NH-D14 and a NH-U12P in this case, you could probably undervolt both fans and still manage to get a decent overclock.
Old January 14, 2011, 09:12 PM
Rookie

these new cpus run cooler than first core i-s,i have built two system so far, so you will not need a bulky cooler,sth like CM hyper 212+ will do great if you overclock (though not extreme) but if you like Noctua and want silent pc then Noctua NH-C14 / NH-D14 is the way to go, they will fit in your case and the ram will be comfortable under it:).also consider buying better case, sth like Corsair 600t or CM haf-x.i'll recommend asus p8p67 pro if you don't want to pay $50 for the front panel usb 3.0. as mentioned before any 1156 cooler will do it, they are compatible with 1155. overall your configuration is very good.good luck with the build

Last edited by agniray; January 14, 2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old January 15, 2011, 05:02 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I actually got the bundle deal of the board and processor from NCIX, so the difference in price isn't as great as the separate components.
I like the idea of the front panel, just seems more convenient that way.

I do want to replace my case, but I haven't found anything good as of yet, and I'm not a fan of the HAF-X as I think I'm moving away from these gaming looking cases to something more clean like a Lian-Li, but the case I think I'll replace a little later.
Old January 15, 2011, 06:07 AM
MVP
F@H

If you want to save a lot, why not just take the Coolermaster Hyper 212+? This heatsink is only 30$ and is far better than Intel stock heatsink (20C lower cpu temp in my sandy bridge setup).