Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11, 2011, 07:46 PM
Rookie

Default Budget Build help?

I was hoping some people on this forum could help me build a budget PC I am not very good with making sure all the parts are compatible with each other and what would be the best for what I need so if I make a fairly detailed list of things anyone interested can help me by putting a build together for me to look at.

I am confident I can build it once I order all of the parts so don't worry about that I want to build my own.

What it is for: Light Gaming (Portal 2, Call of Duty games, Left 4 Dead, WOW & RS) Not looking to run Crysis type games on Max but I would like to run the listed games on high quality 1920x1200.

But the main use will be for internet use like Youtube & Facebook and I will need to use it for school work.

My Budget it $1000. But I have been told I could probably get this kind of PC for $600-800.

Here is some stuff I have looked at but not sure on compatibility and stuff:

Mother Board: GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3P
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 460
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
Cooler: CM V6 GT

Not everything I know, but I don't know what kind of Power PSU I would need and I am not even sure if those are the best parts for what I want on a budget so feel free to change "Everything" lol.

Thanks!
Old January 12, 2011, 06:10 AM
Top Prospect

For cases on the budget, you can't go wrong with a Silverstone PS04B or PS05B case.

I always recommend getting an Antec, Corsair, or SeaSonic power supply as they have awesome units! For your setup, I'd recommend a 500W if you stay with a single gpu or a 700W if you got plans for a 2nd gpu in SLI.

Any 4/8GB DDR3-1600 kits from Corsair, G Skill, Mushkin or Patroit will do you great

Any dvd drive from Asus, LG, Plextor or Samsung will do you great

Good luck with your build and enjoy the new machine
Old January 12, 2011, 07:20 PM
Rookie

Thanks!

Do you know if all the parts I have selected so far are the best for what I want at a nice price?
Old January 12, 2011, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Need a K processor to Overclock.

Edit Thiis Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
Old January 12, 2011, 08:21 PM
Banned
F@H

even the non k can overclock but are severly limited. something like a 100 or something mhz jiggling with the turbo and blk or something. havent tried much, i lost patience fast. k cpu all the way if you want to push it
Old January 12, 2011, 09:10 PM
Top Prospect

You can get away with a very decent machine for $800 that runs everything you play. Upgrade-itis is an itch, but imo save the $200 for nights out with your friends while you're in school!

If you have no plans on buying a 2nd GTX 460 in the future to SLI, a 500W power supply is sufficient and will allow you to upgrade to newer cards in the future. In any case, the GTX 460 is a perfectly suitable video card, so stick with that decision! I would go for a cheap (but quality) case such as the HAF 912. There's no sense in blowing $100 on a case when you're on a budget.
Old January 13, 2011, 04:34 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Agreeing with Dan here, the new 1155 chips are stellar for the price. But do get a K-series one.
Old January 14, 2011, 10:48 PM
Rookie

on P67A-UD3P there is no SLI support, so you keep that board and buy 500w psu or buy Asus P8P67 Pro/Gigabyte P67A-UD4 board with a good 650w psu, if you plan to SLI. your present configuration is more than enough for the tasks you mentioned:)
Old January 14, 2011, 11:30 PM
Allstar

Even 450W is enough for your rig. Like Agniray said, it's not just the PSU that needs an upgrade for SLI, but the motherboard as well. That will cost you an extra $70. MSI-G65, UD4 and Asus Pro are all in the $200 range.

+1 for Dan on the i5 2500K
Old January 15, 2011, 01:51 PM
Top Prospect

Everyone's already steered you in the right direction with the CPU and video, so I'll chime in on the ancillary parts.

The WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA3 WD1002FAEX sales for around $80 new, so go with that if you have your heart set on a WD Black. Personally I don't think they're all that much better than other 1TBs, and I'd go with a Hitachi 1TB 7K1000.C for $50 on sale (Boxing Day prices had them at $40!).

The Samsung SH-243D is a competent all around burner, although with some suspect double layer burning performance, and that's currently on sale for $16 and would do nicely. Otherwise you can grab something like a iHAS324-98B for $20 on sale if you want to do jitter scanning.

The CM 912 is currently at $50 at some stores.

It's not the greatest PSU in the world, but the OCZ ModXStream 500W currently has a price tag of $50 with a $20 mail in rebate. Just saying. Of course Corsair or Seasonic would kick major posterior but they're priced like it so I thought I'd give a lower quality alternative.

When you're buying you might want to choose a larger retailer that allows for price matching. Personally I use NCIX and use their free points to enroll in the VIP program to get free RMA shipping. I can pricematch everything, have it shipped, and hassle free RMAs while I test for a month. Their shipping is a bit slow though.

Just my 2 cents. If you need links for PMs let me know, but I'm sure you can suss them out online =). Good luck with the build, should be fun =).