Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2011, 10:44 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default New Build + First Post! :)

Hey HWC Forums! As the title suggests this is my first post and I'd love to have some feedback or opinions about my upgrade. Right now I have a PC that isn't bad at all by any means but I have to say I am very intrigued by the new Sandy Bridge chips and I have some money that'd I'd like to spend on some PC upgrades that should carry me into the future just a little bit better. Anyway, let's talk shop shall we?

My current machine isn't bad, but nothing special really. If I do go through with all of my upgrades I will probably give the "scraps" of the old computer to my little bro, I know he'd love it and it'd be perfect for him, he still loves CS:S and facebook :P

MOBO: ASUS P5N-D
CPU: C2D Q9300
CPU COOLER: Some Zerotherm cooler that a friend recommended a while back...
RAM: 2x2GB DDR2-800 OCZ
HDD: WD SATA 3 640 GB (OS) and 1TB (storage bin)
GPU: MSI Cyclone 460 1GB
CASE: Some god awful "Ultra" brand aluminum case that has cut my fingers far too many times
PSU: Ultra X3 1000 watt

I want my new upgrades to be OC friendly for someone like myself who doesn't have much experience doing overclocking (MSI afterburner doesn't count, right? :P) and mainly for gaming on the latest titles. I was thinking I could basically upgrade the crucial hardware and keep the HDDs + GPU since I actually got those not too long ago.

New upgrades:

MOBO: MSI P67A-GD55
CPU: i7 2600k
CPU COOLER: Corsair H70
RAM: Vengeance 4GB 1X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
HDD: WD Black SATA3 640 GB (OS) and 1TB (storage bin)
GPU: MSI Cyclone 460 1GB
CASE: Corsair 600T
PSU: Cougar SX 850 Watt

The upgrade consists of 6 parts and totals in at $1142.46 after taxes and everything. I plan to buy all of the components from NCIX and just pick them up in store so I can save the shipping costs and all that stuff. Overall, I think I am probably spending too much money but I think I have selected some pretty good parts. I don't want to buy low grade components that will not last so that is why I made a few of the choices that I did.

- I chose the MSI GD55 P67 because it has SATA 3, 2 way SLI (could get another GTX460 in the future) and OC Genie II all packing lots of other awesome features for a pretty awesome price I thought. I saw a few videos on OC Genie before and it looks like it is really simple to get like 20-30% overclock with a click of a button, something I certainly can handle.

-I chose the i7 2600k because it is overclocker friendly for the P67 board and paired with OC Genie, I think it'll be pretty darn quick.

- I chose the H70 because I wanted to have something that was high quality and reliable, a helped install that cooler onto a friend's i5 build a while back and I thought it was really cool... No pun intended, but really it runs his i5 very cool.

- I chose the vengeance RAM because it seemed like a good amount of memory with good speeds for the price, also if I want in the future to get another stick I can slot it in and have double the memory.

- I got my WD Blacks not too long ago and I love them, I don't see a reason to get more. Perhaps someone can offer an opinion?

- I got my cyclone GTX460 at the same time as my new HDDs and I really love it, too. It was a pretty big upgrade from my old 8800 GTX and I'm pretty happy with it for now. The i7 should boost the PC's speed enough and if I want I could get another 460 sometime to SLI for more FPS in games.

- I chose the 600T because I saw it at the NCIX showroom and played around with it in person. Simply put, I loved the case. I love the look and the design is so adaptable with plenty of space and cable routing. I know there are some more inexpensive options but I really wanted to get something nice since I have put up with this terrible Ultra case for over 4 years now. She has held up okay I suppose, but I want something better!

- Finally, I chose the Cougar PSU because it seemed like it would offer me the headroom I needed and performance under load to last a long time. It has a really nice 5 year warranty (I know corsair PSUs have 7 years for similarly priced PSUs). I probably don't need to replace my current Ultra X3 1000 watt, but I felt like if I was going for upgrades that were high quality products why would I sell my computer short with crappy unreliable power? Correct me if I am wrong but the Cougar seems to be a great choice for quality, longevity and reliability. Should I choose a corsair PSU or something else like Seasonic? I have heard wonderful things about the PSUs from them, too.

Whew, that was a marathon, I will now thank any and all of you who have made it this far. As you can tell I am quite excited about these upgrades so much that I would write a novel about them. I hope I was thorough enough to explain my ideas behind my choices and what I am upgrading from. If you have indeed made it this far and have any ideas I am all ears and welcome the feedback.

Thanks again HWC community, I look forward to hearing from you!
Old January 9, 2011, 10:54 PM
Banned
F@H

look at 2500k as well.

maybe ud3/4 from giga? :)

cooler wise, try for a nice hr-02? im pimping these hopefully a few folks will have more silence in there rigs :D

try ssd+storage drive, like 2tb green should suffice

since youre saving money from the 2600k > 2500k get a better gpu.

nice case, kinda expensive. no love for cm 912/922 or even the value breaker ps04b? :p

ps if youre straight on msi mobos, gd65 and up, although all you need to do is increase the multi for your oc so in theory even a 120 dollar intel mobo will be ok :)
ps2 welcome
Old January 9, 2011, 10:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

First, Welcome on the forum! Hope you will love the place!
Second, The part you chosen are nice, decent and really good performer. I am pretty sure you willbe hapy withthis build.
I don't have really more to add XD everything is nice and well balanced. Just take a lot of pic and post in the workblog section ;)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old January 9, 2011, 11:20 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thank you guys for the warm welcome! and thank you dang and martin for such a quick reply! I took a look at some of the suggestions you made dang and they all did look pretty good. It would save me some money that is for sure if I went with a cheaper case but I'm really not sure if I can take my eyes off of the 600T even at the price that it is. The CPU cooler you mentioned really peaked my interest though, do you suppose it could cool an i7 2600k that was overclocked efficiently even though it is a passive fanless heatsink? I have never even seen one of those before.
Old January 9, 2011, 11:30 PM
Banned
F@H

yes yes and yes.

the 2600 will be better than the 2500 where the extra threads are usefull, like encoding and such. gaming or whatever wont see much

Intel Unveils Sandy Bridge: Core i7 2600K, i5 2500K, i5 2400, i3 2100 CPUs - Starcraft II - Legit Reviews

Intel Unveils Sandy Bridge: Core i7 2600K, i5 2500K, i5 2400, i3 2100 CPUs - x264 HD Encoding - Legit Reviews

Intel Unveils Sandy Bridge: Core i7 2600K, i5 2500K, i5 2400, i3 2100 CPUs - Folding@home - Legit Reviews
Old January 9, 2011, 11:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you can move up a bit from the 460....you'll be very happy you did ;)

Old January 9, 2011, 11:58 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I see what you mean dang, the i5 with the k SKU can still be overclocked easily and would run about 100 dollars cheaper. I guess games haven't gotten to the point where they really take advantage of 4 cores with a total of 8 threads? So is the hyper threading a cash grab type of technology or is it really meant for more of a workstation like rendering or editing that sort of thing instead of gaming. Also, what would be a good GPU upgrade then? I read that the GTX 560 is coming out very soon and should be a good competitor for the 250-300 dollar range. Would getting another GTX 460 for SLI not be the best bang for buck? Or would something like a 570 be the best bet for power/price? Thanks again for all the help fellas, I am considering that maybe the i5 is better for gaming afterall? I am going to go to sleep now though, I will check back on this thread in the morning. Cheers!
Old January 10, 2011, 12:04 AM
Banned
F@H

yup, get the 2500 if you dont put the extra threads to work.

460 sli will do ok, just not at higher resolutions. id rather start with one 6950 300 shipped and possibly modded to 6970 than 2 other cards in sli/cf

you can wait for 560, but dont expect miracles, unless they price it at or below 6870.
Old January 10, 2011, 12:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

A single 460 will be very disappointing on this set-up.....dig deeper.... ;)

Old January 10, 2011, 01:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
A single 460 will be very disappointing on this set-up.....dig deeper.... ;)
Can always add a second one in future if needed rj

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||