Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2011, 08:14 AM
Top Prospect

Default Need some advice

I know this is kinda one of those typical "what should I get threads" but I am looking for some advice as there are so many enthusiasts here on this site that quite honestly know a lot more then I do.
I have been reading benchmarks non stop and forums trying to get a clear answer whether to upgrade or not. I've been given the go ahead to get something new as this is gonna be my last upgrade for quite some time due to a new addition to the household on the way ( I am beginning to think this is the real reason I want to get something lol )
So I am looking for a performance increase to what I am currently running, which is the following

i5 750 (oc'd to 3.4-3.8)
4 gb Gskill Trident DDR3 2000 memory
MSI p55-gd65
2 x 6870 in xfire on a 27" samsung @ 1920x1080
2 x 60 gb agility in raid o
now first of all...I only game on my main pc..nothing more other then the odd web surfing.I play BF2BC, BF2, MW2BO and MW2 and that is it.

I am looking at a i5 or i7 K series cpu and board or a i7 960 with 6b of memory and a board of course.
Do I even bother? All's I am reading about is how awesome the sandy bridge cpus are and how easily they clock to high frequencies, which does interest me a lot as it would everyone.
The i7 960 setup interested me because of the increase in pci lanes and better bandwidth available for the ssd's and vga's(which i don't think is as big a issue until you get into higher rez's)
I am not real worried about future proofing as I only play those mentioned games above, and chances are I won't do a full upgrade again for at least a year to a year and a half. I just don't want to jump the gun again and buy something because it is new.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Old January 9, 2011, 11:54 AM
Banned
F@H

well, 2500k for sure then. but will you notice those extra frames, the question begs? :)
Old January 9, 2011, 12:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTi View Post
I know this is kinda one of those typical "what should I get threads" but I am looking for some advice as there are so many enthusiasts here on this site that quite honestly know a lot more then I do.
I have been reading benchmarks non stop and forums trying to get a clear answer whether to upgrade or not. I've been given the go ahead to get something new as this is gonna be my last upgrade for quite some time due to a new addition to the household on the way ( I am beginning to think this is the real reason I want to get something lol )
So I am looking for a performance increase to what I am currently running, which is the following

i5 750 (oc'd to 3.4-3.8)
4 gb Gskill Trident DDR3 2000 memory
MSI p55-gd65
2 x 6870 in xfire on a 27" samsung @ 1920x1080
2 x 60 gb agility in raid o
now first of all...I only game on my main pc..nothing more other then the odd web surfing.I play BF2BC, BF2, MW2BO and MW2 and that is it.

I am looking at a i5 or i7 K series cpu and board or a i7 960 with 6b of memory and a board of course.
Do I even bother? All's I am reading about is how awesome the sandy bridge cpus are and how easily they clock to high frequencies, which does interest me a lot as it would everyone.
The i7 960 setup interested me because of the increase in pci lanes and better bandwidth available for the ssd's and vga's(which i don't think is as big a issue until you get into higher rez's)
I am not real worried about future proofing as I only play those mentioned games above, and chances are I won't do a full upgrade again for at least a year to a year and a half. I just don't want to jump the gun again and buy something because it is new.

Thanks in advance everyone.
According to the recent FEB. 2011 Maximum PC edition,the i7 975 Extreme is the BEST proc. for gaming and beats the hell out of Sandy Bridge or any of the other new Processors. The one processor they did not make a comparison to is the i7 980x. Maximum is supposed to compare the 980 next month. If you can find a 975 extreme then get it. My wife has it in her rig and it runs PERFECT at stock speeds and can be over clocked like crazy.It's well worth checking out. Good luck!
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old January 9, 2011, 02:34 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
well, 2500k for sure then. but will you notice those extra frames, the question begs? :)
Yep...thats where I'm at. It can't be any worse. I'm seeing all these reviews of 4.4 ghz + on crappy stock cooling and it's just eating at me to give it a try.
Old January 9, 2011, 02:45 PM
Banned
F@H

cool. sell your cpu+mobo for..i dont know, 200-250? then grab another gd65 1155 or ud3 (p67 for oc'ing) and go for it. gl with the build man :)