Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2011, 10:47 AM
Rookie

Default Building my first rig...

Hey there,

I stumbled across this site while I was checking out parts for a new system I wish to build. I have a piece of junk 4 year old PC and it's time I got a decent rig going!

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Gaming - CoD: Blackops, Starcraft 2, Counter-Strike: Source, WoW... etc.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
My budget will be $1100 - $1300.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada, preferably NCIX, Tiger Direct or Canada Computers.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
I do enjoy ATi cards... although, whatever will get me performance for my buck is good.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
None.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
A few, but not really in my price range.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
No real plans to overclock.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
In the next 2 weeks once my paycheck comes through.

9. What resolution do you use?
1920x1080

Regards,

- Kyle 'RareformEX' Anderson
Old January 8, 2011, 01:01 PM
MVP

Is your budget for just the tower, or do you need a monitor, speakers, keyboard etc...
Old January 8, 2011, 03:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You haven't listed high end games that require top end graphics, but at the same time, what resolution do you want to be able to play these games at and what settings? Especially COD.

CPU: $230
My initial thought in that budget is to go with the intel i5-750 for ~ $205
but I would suggest the i5-2500k when it goes on sale for ~ $230
You can also consider AMD to save a couple bucks to put towards a better GPU or SSD.

Otherwise, you will want to wait for more sandy bridge and bulldozer to come out (which could take a couple months ).

I really can't see a lot of reasons not to recommend the new sandy bridge if they go on sale for the MSRP. I'm shocked how competitive the pricing is on the new chips. Unless we see huge price cuts (i.e. 20% or more) on the older lga 1156 chips, I don't see value in them. Waiting for the 2500k will be worth it as a stock cooler can take it above 4 GHz without trying.

Motherboard: $200
There are a ton of new motherboards out and I haven't got the time to research them all, so unless someone else speaks up, I'd suggest you give us a list of 4-5 mobos price from $140-$230 (just a nice spread in price range and features) based on features you want. I'd suggest just looking at the P67 boards though. If you don't want to go with the 2500k, then do the same for either AM3 (AMD) socket motherboards or lga 1156 (i5-750) motherboards.

Anandtech: "The new motherboards will come in H and P varieties, with the H series taking advantage of the graphics on the processor die, whereas the P series will utilize discrete graphics only. At launch, both P67 and H67 chipsets will be available, with the H61 chipset released during Q1 2011."

GPU: $210
It sounds like the lowest you'll want to go for a GPU is the HD 6850 or the GTX 460 1GB and depending on your likes (personally I'd buy nvidia because of CUDA for F@H and PhysX).

I would limit your GPU budget to $210.

Storage: $190
Although not a must, getting an SSD is a great idea, especially for WoW (I've heard). Many of your games will barely benefit from a SSD, so you really don't need more than 60GB. I'd budget about $110 for this.

You can get any decent HDD up to 1TB for under $80.

Memory: $120
Thank god DDR3 is cheap right now. I can't give you good suggestions for o/c or gaming ability, but $120 should be enough to buy 6GB.

Power Supply: $160
I'm a corsair fan, but there are at least 4-5 good brands out there. I suggest something between 650-750w for a power supply and never buy cheap! JonnyGURU.com - Corsair CX430 430W power supply Review is one of the most respected PSU reviewers (and Canadian to boot) and if you like reading, check out a lot of his reviews. $140-160 is a good price range for 750w (and of course, try to get a sale or MIR for a PSU as they are constantly discounted some way or another).

Case: $90
$90 will get you a decent case. At your budget range, I'd personally cut costs on the case to be able to add more.

That's already $1300 without an optical drive, monitor, speakers (if you need some), windows OS, and keyboard+mouse! Expect about $160 for a new monitor @ 1080p (up to 23") unless you buy a cheap piece of crap or used. Optical drive + speakers would set you back $50 at most. Getting windows 7 will set you back $120 (provided you get it).

If you go with the i5-2500k, you'll need to cut over $300 and that will probably come from $30-50 mobo, $40 RAM, $20 PSU, $110 SSD.

Going with something like the AMD Phenom 3.2GHz quad core will save you $80 on your CPU. That can either be kept in your pocket or be enough to upgrade any of the parts cut for the 2500k budget.

If you want to really really get an SSD, save 20GB for windows7 and future updates (18 at a minimum) + 10% free space to keep your SSD running smooth and then add whatever room your game of choice will take when installed (I'd suggest WoW as it should benefit the most).
Old January 10, 2011, 05:27 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I am thinking I may up the budget a little and wait another two weeks. I think I'd rather go i7. In terms of the 6870, I've heard the 5870 performs better? Is this true?
Old January 10, 2011, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareformEX View Post
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I am thinking I may up the budget a little and wait another two weeks. I think I'd rather go i7. In terms of the 6870, I've heard the 5870 performs better? Is this true?
Sort of... in current games the 5870 is usually better, but the 6870 has been optimized to be better at many DX 11 features and AA. So, even though the 5870 is better, the 6870 still is worth looking at because it is newer technology and has some features that are supposed to make it out-perform the 5870 when you get into tessellation, etc.

I don't really see you getting a lot out of stepping up to X58 platform with Sandy Bridge now out. Unless you plan to take advantage of 32x PCIe lanes for graphics, you might as well stay away from the high cost of the X58 platform. For example, from Tom's Hardware, they found:

That even a GTX 480 will see almost no benefit from more than 8 lanes. Only the top dogs (GPUs) will even have more than a 5% difference between 8x and 16x lanes. The X58 platform's only (imo) remaining benefit is for users with 3 or more GPUs (i.e. I have SLI + PhysX) and possibly triple channel memory (but is it really that much of a benefit?).

Last edited by draemn; January 10, 2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old January 10, 2011, 04:18 PM
Banned
F@H

sandy bridge 2500k all the way for a new build thats not boggered down by a few hundred dollar limit.

go for one 6950 or dual 6850's if you feel like it.
Old January 10, 2011, 11:21 PM
Rookie

Good call on the Sandy Bridge. I am not up to date with newer technology... I used to be very into hardware 3-4 years ago, but I am afraid I've lost touch. In terms of a motherboard, how are ASUS quality nowadays? Any recommendations on those?
Old January 10, 2011, 11:29 PM
Banned
F@H

:)

asus is ok. i prefer giga's but thats just me

now, if you were building a month..or two..or somehting from now? maybe just maybe i wouldve been able to give you better advice. but right now? sb for the win. 2500k ftw if you dont encode/decode 24/7,fold like a maniac,etc :)
Old January 11, 2011, 12:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ASUS has quality boards as you get pricier, but I've heard numerous complaints about their custom support. Still, no matter who you buy from, there is never 100% QC and you might just get unlucky and get a DOA or defective board. I bought a gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 rev2.0 and I have not found anything from ASUS that is as high quality within $30, but on the other hand, I read a lot of reviews on newegg.ca about the UD3 that showed some QC issues for a batch or two (and just as many QC issues for ASUS boards that were $30-60 more).