Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2011, 01:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've honestly never seen anybody check the parts after buying but before leaving the store...

That store seems to have awfully bad business practices IMO.
Old January 19, 2011, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You don't really expect to get a bent CPU pin out of a sealed box, do you? The only reason why that thought was even in the back of my head is because of a few reviews I read on newegg.ca where people said their CPU came with a bent pin... oh well, thankfully it didn't become something horrible. It's really annoying that they won't do anything for you (I assume because they have no way to verify that you didn't bend it?) and don't make it mandatory in store to check CPUs (since they won't replace it).

Anyways, I'm just waiting on my PSU, which got delayed by over a week due to stock issues that weren't pointed out when I ordered it off NCIX... It's still showing "left Vancouver" Monday at 8:00 and I live in Alberta... so I don't know what's taking so long to get to Calgary. Anyways, once I get the PSU, I just have to plug it in and buy a 2nd SATA cable for the optical drive and it's done! I'll plug it into my monitor for testing/install, since I didn't buy one for it. I'm pretty happy with the case, although it would have been nice to save $20 on a used case. Crossing my fingers that I can install my OEM copy of windows vista without any problems (as it was previously on another computer which I formatted to remove it). Hehe, also hoping there won't be any problems with the RAM, as the ECC/unbuffered/DDR3, etc all match.
Old January 20, 2011, 09:09 AM
Top Prospect

Wow, never heard of bent pins on a new sealed CPU. If you can't get it bent back and working let me know, there's a trick with twist ties and a nail clipper that'll get it at least working on the board I've been using for years.

How much is your total for the build after taxes out of curiousity?
Old January 21, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's what my Athlon II X3 450 became... hehe :D Looks like I got a good one :) P.S. it's in a power saving mode when I took the screenie... noticed that after posting... it's not actually 2.0 Ghz

I've been spending 2 hours updating windows vista+drivers but I'm almost done. I'll post some pictures and maybe some sort of benchmark soon? Is there something easy but standard to bench with? I like PC mark vantage, but the whole process isn't as simple as just d/l and run.

I'm probably going to use my GT 240 PhysX card and see how that benches (as the integrated graphics suck ballz).

Last edited by draemn; January 21, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old January 21, 2011, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
Wow, never heard of bent pins on a new sealed CPU. If you can't get it bent back and working let me know, there's a trick with twist ties and a nail clipper that'll get it at least working on the board I've been using for years.

How much is your total for the build after taxes out of curiousity?
$106 + 176 + $38 + $6 (for a SATA cable) = $326 and there is one $20 MIR for something I bought, so that will bring it back down to $306 (I was exactly at $300 with MIR until I realized I need to buy a 2nd SATA cable...).

Not bad for a tower with a quad core :D I'm thinking that if they'll pay for it, I'll put in a wireless card ($15-20), keyboard and mouse if they need one ($20), my GT 240 1GB ($40), all-in-one memory card reader ($??), extra 2GB stick of RAM (3.25 due to 32-bit OS) ($31).

I've made what I wanted for $300 and it was fun, now it's just at the point where I can put more in if someone wants it and will pay extra for those features. Thank god I had that old copy of Vista so I could put windows on it without having to buy a new copy or put on Linux. Although Linux is getting great, I'd still put Windows on a computer for an illiterate who has only used windows.
Old January 22, 2011, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

$326 before $20 MIR.
CX430w Corsair PSU
Nvidia 7025/630a chipset IGP mATX AM3 gigabyte mobo
2GB 1333Mhz CAS-9 DDR3
Athlon X3 450 3.20 Ghz unlocked 4th CPU quad core
LG Multi-DVD/CD burner (does ALL formats)
500GB seagate HDD
random case off newegg (actually a pretty nice case)

There you go! Pretty damn sweet! Now, if someone will pay for it, just throw in some extra RAM, my GT 240, wifi adapter, and slap on a keyboard+mouse+monitor w/speakers and you have yourself a full computer that can play almost any game for under $500 with taxes. Heck, under $400 if you don't need a monitor/keyboard/mouse. I successfully installed windows Vista Home Premium and, against Microsoft's advice, installed both standalone SP 1&2 installs (which saved me at least 10 hours). My "windows experience index" (which isn't as comprehensive as that found in Win7) for vista is 5.9/5.9 for CPU, RAM, HDD, and the IGP actually got 3.7/5.9 windows Aero graphics and 3.0/5.9 for gaming graphics. My GT 240 got 5.9 and 5.6 respectively on graphics. Too lazy to run any real benchmarks :D
Old January 23, 2011, 01:36 PM
Top Prospect

Very nice Draemn, congrats on the budget quad =).
Old January 24, 2011, 02:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Even as a triple core (pretending the X3 didn't unlock to an X4), I'd say that's pretty good value. It's really hard to squeeze out that extra value at low budgets!!! Big companies have the advantage of getting parts for cheaper, using inexpensive (crappy quality) OEM parts, dirt cheap OEM copies of windows OS (I've heard dell can pay less than $50 a copy), and 'exclusivity/branding' promotions.
Old January 25, 2011, 12:45 AM
Rookie

Yea get the cpu thats on sale
Old January 25, 2011, 07:24 AM
Top Prospect

That's exactly the way I see it, go for a tri-core and that's excellent value for performance, the even if the unlock isn't possible that's still a helluva bang for the buck for a system at $300. I don't know how you stayed on budget .

I have damn fine system I'm delivering on Friday, similar to yours but with a x2 555 BE unlocked on a stock OC to 3.8GHz and HT NB/CPU of 2.4 with all the power saving features still enabled. Got really lucky this guy did. I had everything configured to $350 and ostensibly it was a HTPC and home use computer for his wife, but he upgraded to an OCZ 700W ModXStream (I know but it was $40 with taxes), Corsair CC600T, 2x4GB RAM, and a 1TB WD 1002FAEX, GA-880GA-UD3H to bring the total up to $562. I don't think it's for his wife anymore . I'm going to have trouble handing that system over...and if it's this bad with a budget PC build then I don't know how surrogate mothers do it.

Last edited by proxy; January 25, 2011 at 07:30 AM.