Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2011, 08:13 AM
Restricted Poster

If this is a cheap family computer, Atom?

The ASUS AT5NM10-I was on sale a little while back, not sure if you can still price match, but I got one for $80.
Apex MI-100 Mini-ITX case was about $40 before.
4GB of DDR3 I've seen as cheap as $40.
DVD Burner for $20.
500GB drive for about $30.
Maybe invest in a 100x100x10mm fan for $10 to make sure it doesn't get a little hot.

About $210 + tax.
Old January 7, 2011, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Gigabyte GA-M68MT-D3 mATX - Again only a nvidia 7025 IGP, any thoughts on another low cost option? I can try to price match bestdirect to get: $58
Pulled the trigger and got this on NCIX as well as the CX430 since I didn't have any other low cost suggestions for a PSU. I'm going to walk down to memory express today to pick up the HDD, CPU and RAM. Going with the Seagate 500GB for $42, Athlon X2 450 for $84 and Kingston 2GB RAM for $31.5... now I just have to see if those cases off kijiji are worth picking up (depends on their conditions and if they still have all the screws/standoffs, etc.). Anyone know if I should even worry that these used cases won't support mATX? I just assume they will.

I also decided to spend the extra $21 to pick them up a keyboard + mouse right now so all that will be needed is a monitor (with speakers) and possibly speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joatabe View Post
I may help you that you can unlock with some 2x and 3x hidden cores so you actualy buy a x2 and unlock it to a x4 but the cpu has to suport this ofcourse and the mobo but to me it looks like a good solution to the 2x or 3x just unlock it to a 4x without spending any more money

i only have one thing i dont know if gigabyte and others also have motherbors supporting this
All X3 and phenom X2 (to my understanding) were built with 4 cores, but unlocking is becoming rare with the later batches (obviously AMD doesn't want you to). Gigabyte (including the one above) offer the option to try unlocking the last core(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctech View Post
If this is a cheap family computer, Atom?

The ASUS AT5NM10-I was on sale a little while back, not sure if you can still price match, but I got one for $80.
Apex MI-100 Mini-ITX case was about $40 before.
4GB of DDR3 I've seen as cheap as $40.
DVD Burner for $20.
500GB drive for about $30.
Maybe invest in a 100x100x10mm fan for $10 to make sure it doesn't get a little hot.

About $210 + tax.
Haha, I said cheap, not crappy. They already have an atom laptop (boy that thing is slow) and I want to get something that will feel snappy in comparison to that! Also, my price quotes are tax + shipping (when applicable) and I haven't seen a decent brand HDD for $30 @ 500GB.

Last edited by draemn; January 7, 2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old January 7, 2011, 02:00 PM
Rookie

Default comparison shop

Find a spec for RAM, HD, etc and then watch the three or four websites for a few weeks, you can save big dollars. I just built a $800 rig, but I got a 520 Watt top quality power supply and a top level Fractal Design full tower case for $150 before tax and shipping.
Old January 7, 2011, 05:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
now I just have to see if those cases off kijiji are worth picking up (depends on their conditions and if they still have all the screws/standoffs, etc.). Anyone know if I should even worry that these used cases won't support mATX? I just assume they will.
Shuttle cases you mean? It's likely that they don't support mATX as it's custom-built around Shuttle's own motherboards. They most likely don't fit a standard ATX PSU either.

If it's a more or less standard ATX case though, then mATX will fit fine.
Old January 7, 2011, 05:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Shuttle cases you mean? It's likely that they don't support mATX as it's custom-built around Shuttle's own motherboards. They most likely don't fit a standard ATX PSU either.

If it's a more or less standard ATX case though, then mATX will fit fine.
No, these are mid size (almost small) computer cases.
Old January 9, 2011, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm... So I ran into the predicament that I'm at my budget exact by buying a X3 450 and only have 2GB of RAM. I would like to have 3GB of RAM (32 bit), but I really don't have anywhere to cut the budget other than CPU. I'm really interested in buying an X3 for the 5% chance that it will have a disabled L3 Cache (which I'm not counting on, it would just be nice) and the fact that it's a bit more powerful of a CPU. Also, in the past I've mixed a 2GB stick with a 1GB stick in a computer to make 3GB... should I be able to do this or not? I haven't found any documentation listing if you can mix RAM with my configuration.

As of now, my thoughts are that when the MIR comes in from the corsair PSU I will use that $20 to max out the memory, but I'm not counting the MIR in my budget until I actually get the money (sometimes MIR are unreliable).
Old January 17, 2011, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just got royally screwed due to a bit of laziness on my part.

I didn't check the CPU when I picked it up in store (take it out of the box and look at it) and 1 of the pins is bent 90 degrees... Stupid computer store won't exchange it or anything for me, they just told me I have to see if AMD will replace it for me... This really sucks as 99% sure AMD won't do anything and 99% if they do I'll have to pay shipping costs... grrrrr....

Well, that blows chunks because I almost checked in the store, but I was bit rushed so I decided not to... FML!
Old January 17, 2011, 11:43 PM
Banned
F@H

no way dude, the pin was bent and the cpu was sealed? throw a tantrum, if you havent done it yourself by mistake that is :p
Old January 19, 2011, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
no way dude, the pin was bent and the cpu was sealed? throw a tantrum, if you havent done it yourself by mistake that is :p
It was tempting to just start talking shit, but I'm not really that kind of guy. They bent it back without it breaking

I sort of understand that they don't want to replace it because they can't verify that I didn't bend it (i.e. that it was bent inside a sealed box), but it still sucks... from now on I'm never leaving the store until I check it over... even if it'll make me late for something! When I bought a mobo from them, you actually had to sign a paper saying that you checked over the mobo and there were no damaged sockets (for my X58 build).
Old January 19, 2011, 01:02 PM
Top Prospect

What store is this? I'm curious.