Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2011, 07:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you aren't offering tech support, just a pre-built computer. There will be less hassle in the long run.

-Plato
Old January 4, 2011, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Starting to get some ideas:

Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H AMD880G mATX - Back to this great board :P. $89
AMD X3 445 & OCZ Gold 4GB - Pretty decent price on this bundle. $127
APEX tX-381-C - Nice small cheap case if I don't get one for $20 on kijiji. $38
Corsair CX430 Nice $20 MIR if they send it to me and price match with canadadirect. $34
HDD is still up in the air as I'm debating going Segate 500GB drive. $42
Optical drive $20

Well, that's all the components I think, not set in stone by any reach. Any thoughts on if the AMD X3 will be worth the extra power, especially considering 2 years down the road? It really pushes me past the $300 price. Any suggestions on if there is a *reliable* PSU under that price or a PSU/Case combo under $70 (with tax and shipping)? The PSU/Case combos I've browsed (below my price) have all had sketchy a PSU.

So, I'm looking at $350.5 with taxes and shipping if I don't get a used case... I guess I'll get a 500GB and maybe not get an energy efficient drive (if I stay with the X3 445).

As I said in a random post, this is more for fun and that's why I'm not looking to buy a $400 dell computer (or similar).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just for fun
So, why not compare the cheapest Dell just for fun?
Proc: AMD X2 240 vs AMD X3 445
Mem: 2GB DDR3 1333 vs 4GB DDR3 1066
HDD: 320GB 7200RPM w/smart cache vs undecided 500GB
Warranty: 1 year basic service plan vs Warranty on parts
Bloatware Minimum (according to website) vs No bloatware

Everything else is the same, except mobo, psu, & case are not compared.

Price: $430.50 vs $340

Last edited by draemn; January 4, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old January 4, 2011, 08:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You have DDR3 RAM and a DDR2 motherboard. DDR2 is expensive, so I suggest you swap to a newer motherboard.

Granted my Antec + PSU combo was a bit expensive, but it's durable. If they bang that Apex case around at all, it's going to get beaten up quickly. This one PC I built for a family friend, I swear he must drop it off the desk every day. It was one of these cheap, thin-gauge steel cases and you can tell it's been abused. Side panels barely fit on anymore. Totally up to you though. You're trying to build a "high-quality" system for cheap, so corners get cut somewhere. Though to me, any PC you buy in a big-box store, looks better than any cheap case you can buy.

And honestly, I don't think the X3 will make any difference at all. X2 would be fine for years to come IMO. My grandparents are on a X2 5000+ AM2 for the past couple years now with no complaints and only 1GB of RAM. You'd gain more performance putting Windows 7 on it than buying a X3.

As for not providing tech support... I'm sure they'll still phone you ;)

Just as an example: Acer Desktop AX3400 featuring AMD Phenom II X4 810 Processor Gaming Computer with 23" LCD Monitor : Desktop Computer Packages - Best Buy Canada
$600 gets you a Phenom II X4 810, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 23" LCD, keyboard, mouse, slim-line case, Windows 7 and even a dedicated HD5570 GPU.

Hard to beat that, but I know the feeling. It's far more fun to build a system then to buy one.
Old January 4, 2011, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
You have DDR3 RAM and a DDR2 motherboard. DDR2 is expensive, so I suggest you swap to a newer motherboard.

As for not providing tech support... I'm sure they'll still phone you ;)

Just as an example: Acer Desktop AX3400 featuring AMD Phenom II X4 810 Processor Gaming Computer with 23" LCD Monitor : Desktop Computer Packages - Best Buy Canada
$600 gets you a Phenom II X4 810, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 23" LCD, keyboard, mouse, slim-line case, Windows 7 and even a dedicated HD5570 GPU.

Hard to beat that, but I know the feeling. It's far more fun to build a system then to buy one.
That sucks... I totally checked the memory to make sure it was compatible and the speed was... but I totally missed the DDR2 vs DDR3 thing... ouch. That will increase the price by about $15. Well, at least I can get that gigabyte one that comes with smart6 for one click unlocking attempt. Sadly when you buy a budget machine, M$ doesn't exactly offer a budget OS, so no win7 for this puppy.

I think the whole X3 vs X2 thing will be an upgrade from their atom powered laptops , but I'm thinking about the extra core(s) for future multi-threaded use.

Yep, they will ask for help when I go for a visit... I just fixed both their laptops :P I know at the budget range it's almost impossible to beat pre-built systems, especially when you factor in OS and tech support.

Last edited by draemn; January 4, 2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old January 5, 2011, 09:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Unless they're avid video editors, I see no point in an extra core. Internet browsing and Office work isn't ever going to need more than a single core IMO. If it does, then they've become extremely unoptimized.
Old January 5, 2011, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AMD Althon II X2 250 - I might consider stepping down to dual core. $62.50
Asus M4A78LT-M LE - Any thoughts? I can do local pick-up to save shipping, but I'm not sure if the Radeon HD 3000 IGP is sufficient. $64
or
Gigabyte GA-M68MT-D3 mATX - Again only a nvidia 7025 IGP, any thoughts on another low cost option? I can try to price match bestdirect to get: $58

2GB Kingston valueRAM DDR3 1333 - Not officially supported for the gigabyte board, but it will probably work. $30

I'll have to do some looking into the lower graphics solutions to see if they are adequate or not. I was just going to stick with nvidia 8 series or higher or AMD 4000 or higher (or intel 4000 or higher) to be safe.

Last edited by draemn; January 5, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old January 5, 2011, 12:42 PM
Banned
F@H

whatever you do, go giga for board. they shine all the was down to the cheapest around. even if itll only save you 5 bucks. unless the person specifically asks for asus or evga or such? giga all the way, very few headaches.
Old January 5, 2011, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
whatever you do, go giga for board. they shine all the was down to the cheapest around. even if itll only save you 5 bucks. unless the person specifically asks for asus or evga or such? giga all the way, very few headaches.
I've heard mixed about ASUS. I know they have a great high end line, but I've heard a lot of people complain about them too. I agree that you can't go wrong with the QC of gigabyte.
Old January 5, 2011, 01:00 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I may help you that you can unlock with some 2x and 3x hidden cores so you actualy buy a x2 and unlock it to a x4 but the cpu has to suport this ofcourse and the mobo but to me it looks like a good solution to the 2x or 3x just unlock it to a 4x without spending any more money

Ps i have some links here

ASRock UCC [Unlock CPU Core] suported asrock motherboards can be found here
but watch out there are also some motherboards listed that dont support the ucc thing

ASRock UCC [Unlock CPU Core] the whole explaining thing here

i only have one thing i dont know if gigabyte and others also have motherbors supporting this

Last edited by Arinoth; January 5, 2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old January 5, 2011, 01:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd stick to AMD chipsets over NVIDIA but that's just me.