Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   1st build in years.. and New! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/39292-1st-build-years-new.html)

The Chemist December 26, 2010 07:48 PM

1st build in years.. and New!

What's happening, Canucks?

I'm new around here, so Hello!

OK, onto buisness. This is my first personal build in a large number of years (As a reference, the last computer I build used SDRam, AGP Graphics, and had 2 USB 1.0 interfaces).

So, anyways, the computer finally died. But, it was a trooper, and still played DoD:S amd CS:S like a champ.

So, this is my idea of a new build:

I'll be buying mostly local (Fredericton, NB), with fill-ins from NCIX.
I'm looking to spend about $1000 CAD, give or take some.
I'm a bit of an Asus fanboy (always have been), but can stomach using MSI Mobos.
*Will only use Corsair RAM, unless it's not compatable with the MoBo*
Mostly simple gaming (Day of Defeat:Source, LotR Online, Dawn of War, some newer games), with some Music Production

Corsair Graphite Series 600T

ASUS P7P55D-E LX Motherboard

Intel Core i5 750 Quad Core

ASUS GeForce GTS 450

Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3-1600

2 x Seagate SATA HD, 320gig, 7200RPM
 2 x LG 24X Super Multi SATA DVD Writer

Windows 7.

Now, will this be fairly straight forward for what I want it to do, or should I look for other components?

Mainly, Windows 7 64 or 32?

Thanks in advance,
Matt.

_dangtx_ December 26, 2010 07:54 PM

howdy and welcome. 1156 wise, you either get a nice and relatively cheap i3 and clock it well, or go for an i7 if you need more hp.

nice but expensive case, get a 922 or 912 and put the difference towards a better card, like a 570 or a 6950.

get one ssd, and a 2tb for storage etc

go with 64 if you think youll use over 4 gigs, and get a 2x4gb it of ram

edit : cm 212+ or v6gt for cooler. psu wise, seasonic built,enermaxc..

you still have time for memexpress sale. some nice stuff there

The Chemist December 26, 2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 467258)
howdy and welcome. 1156 wise, you either get a nice and relatively cheap i3 and clock it well, or go for an i7 if you need more hp.

nice but expensive case, get a 922 or 912 and put the difference towards a better card, like a 570 or a 6950.

get one ssd, and a 2tb for storage etc

go with 64 if you think youll use over 4 gigs, and get a 2x4gb it of ram

edit : cm 212+ or v6gt for cooler. psu wise, seasonic built,enermaxc..

you still have time for memexpress sale. some nice stuff there

I was looking at the 912 and the 922, then stumbled across the Elite 370. I think that may work for me better.

As for the CPU, I agree, and will probably go for the Core i3 550 and will clock it up a bit. I don't need terrible amounts of power.

Most definately will go 8G of RAM now that you've said it. Will also probably get the ASUS GeForce GTX 570.

PSU will be a 500W OCZ ModXStream.

About the SSD... I'm not sure of them yet, so I don't think I'll jump on that until I'm comfortable with it.

Thanks for the input, dude, much appreciated.

_dangtx_ December 26, 2010 08:35 PM

cool.

try to go for an earthwatts, better unit be it delta or seasonic made.

cool. sammy f3 or wd black for main os drive be it then :)

no worries. also, do wait for other imput, i have my own views on things so do others, and most of the time theyre right as well :p

912/922 cant be beat at 50/80 bucks. the 370 is nice too, but not on the same level. i think you canat least get the 912 ;)...

play it smart and youll do fine. i know a guy who got a 980x and then had no money left for gpu lol, borrowed him my 6850 pair till next pay....

The Chemist December 26, 2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 467279)
cool.

try to go for an earthwatts, better unit be it delta or seasonic made.

cool. sammy f3 or wd black for main os drive be it then :)

no worries. also, do wait for other imput, i have my own views on things so do others, and most of the time theyre right as well :p

912/922 cant be beat at 50/80 bucks. the 370 is nice too, but not on the same level. i think you canat least get the 912 ;)...

play it smart and youll do fine. i know a guy who got a 980x and then had no money left for gpu lol, borrowed him my 6850 pair till next pay....

I'm not used to building gaming computers at all. If it was, say, a Music production computer, I'd be set, but gaming... not my forte.

Edit: Liking the look of that WD Caviar. And I'll look at the 912 a bit more.

_dangtx_ December 26, 2010 08:46 PM

gaming,well put it this way. for up to a mid end card you can do well with a dual core. if you get a top og, better have a stronger cpu

now, at 1920 and above the gpu is more important

Wurmer December 27, 2010 11:12 AM

As far as cases are concerned another pretty decent choice for a good price is the good ole Cooler Master 690 advanced. It has decent air flow as well as good cable management. For graphic card, a GTX 460 would serve you good.

Kevard December 27, 2010 06:47 PM

If you're going for the dual-core i3 550, a GTS 450 is what you should be looking at. If you are getting the i5 750, then either look at the GTX 460, or GTX 570.

As for cases, I own a HAF 912, and it's great! If you don't mind an unpainted interior, it's perfect for someone on a budget.

If you are going to use more than 2GB of RAM, then get the 64-bit version of Windows. The 32-bit version will only detect up to ~3GB of RAM.