Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2010, 08:57 PM
Rookie

Question You tell me what to buy. Please.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Light school work, but mostly gaming, WOW-SC2-Fallout
2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
$1200 to $1600
3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada , actually he wants to buy the parts locally. Not onlnie at all.
4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
None.
5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Just the keyboard, mouse, speakers.
6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
Yes, but no there is boxing day sales.
7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Default speeds.
8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Early next week.
9. What resolution do you use?
Whatever is suitable for the videos card and monitor.

Any help would be great, this is actually my 3rd post I have made on this subject, my cousin keeps backing out. He now wants to buy everything from MEMORYEXPRESS.com on boxing day. I told him this is last chance if he wants me to build it, getting a little tired of the run around. Anyways, he needs a monitor also, so lets see what you can make with only buying parts from 1 store. Thanks. Have a good Christmas.
Old December 24, 2010, 09:25 PM
MVP

Asus Maximus III Gene Motherboard w/ Dual DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, PCI-E CrossFireX / SLI at Memory Express Computers

Intel Core

Corsair Air Series 50 CPU Cooler at Memory Express Computers

Mushkin PC3-12800 Silverline DDR3 SDRAM, 4GB Dual Channel Kit (2 x 2GB) at Memory Express Computers

eVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI at Memory Express Computers

Antec EarthWatts EA 750W Power Supply w/ Quad +12V at Memory Express Computers

Antec Performance One Mini P180 microATX case at Memory Express Computers

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (64-bit) DVD - OEM at Memory Express Computers

Silverstone AP121 Air Penetrator 120mm Fan w/ Air Channeling Technology at Memory Express Computers

Samsung SH-S223C 22x SpeedPlus

Intel X25-M SATA Solid-State Drive Kit, 120GB w/ Adapter at Memory Express Computers

Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green 5400rpm SATA II w/ 64MB Cache at Memory Express Computers

There you go champ, that is one golden computer and includes everything you need. That is a local store, and if one is not close shipping is free in Canada. Many of those items are on sale right now, and Memory Express price matches everything, including online, so price match all the items that are not on sale. Enjoy.

Edit: Just totalled it all, $1330.88. That price includes MIRs but remember that you can price match many of these things. I PMed the Antec P180 mini down 20 bucks off bestdirect. Have fun.

One more Edit: I was browsing the sale myself and holy crap they are selling the EarthWatts 650 for 40 bucks no MIR! That is one good deal. I linked the 750 Watt incase you wanted to SLI though.

Last edited by BootlegUsher; December 25, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old December 24, 2010, 09:51 PM
Banned
F@H

ok. start off with 270 dollar 6950 for gpu, cpu wise he can do i7 930-950 because of the budget but will it be worth it when an i3 clocked..er...ok no clocking

lcd wise, look from 24 inches and up. sammy makes good parts. 60 gig ssd of your choice for os, 2tb for the rest

note to self : push the post button after youve done typing, not an hour later. good choices up there, but do get the 270 dollar 6950 and cf later if need be.
Old December 25, 2010, 09:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

If I were you I'd take BootlegUsher's advice. That is one very dialled rig.
Old December 25, 2010, 11:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

BootlegUsher's config have a triple channel ram with a i5 760. You can find 2x4Gb of dual channel for almost the same price.
Old December 25, 2010, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Asus Maximus III Gene Motherboard w/ Dual DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, PCI-E CrossFireX / SLI at Memory Express Computers

Intel Core

Corsair Air Series 50 CPU Cooler at Memory Express Computers

Mushkin PC3-12800 Silverline DDR3 SDRAM, 6GB Triple Channel Kit (3 x 2GB) at Memory Express Computers

eVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI at Memory Express Computers

Antec EarthWatts EA 750W Power Supply w/ Quad +12V at Memory Express Computers

Antec Performance One Mini P180 microATX case at Memory Express Computers

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (64-bit) DVD - OEM at Memory Express Computers

Silverstone AP121 Air Penetrator 120mm Fan w/ Air Channeling Technology at Memory Express Computers

Samsung SH-S223C 22x SpeedPlus

Intel X25-M SATA Solid-State Drive Kit, 120GB w/ Adapter at Memory Express Computers

Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green 5400rpm SATA II w/ 64MB Cache at Memory Express Computers

There you go champ, that is one golden computer and includes everything you need. That is a local store, and if one is not close shipping is free in Canada. Many of those items are on sale right now, and Memory Express price matches everything, including online, so price match all the items that are not on sale. Enjoy.

Edit: Just totalled it all, $1355.88. That price includes MIRs but remember that you can price match many of these things. I PMed the Antec P180 mini down 20 bucks off bestdirect. Have fun.

One more Edit: I was browsing the sale myself and holy crap they are selling the EarthWatts 650 for 40 bucks no MIR! That is one good deal. I linked the 750 Watt incase you wanted to SLI though.
.....All of the that you'd b better off going with an I7 and better Board (likely another $200), especially if your contemplating dual Cards......also, don't go "cheap" on he PSU or the CPU Cooler.
Old December 25, 2010, 11:32 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
BootlegUsher's config have a triple channel ram with a i5 760. You can find 2x4Gb of dual channel for almost the same price.
Oops my mistake, well spotted. I will adjust my list. I chose that Mushkin RAM because it doesn't have tall heatspreaders, so there should be less problems that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
[url="http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX26179%28ME%29.aspx"]

.....All of the that you'd b better off going with an I7 and better Board (likely another $200), especially if your contemplating dual Cards......also, don't go "cheap" on he PSU or the CPU Cooler.
I don't think an i7 would be any use to him for what he plans on doing with the computer. Better board? That is an amazing price for a board that does 90% of what the full size version has. The only problem would be if he wanted to do multi GPU and had other cards like network cards etc...

That PSU choice is not cheaping out, NCIX is selling it for $144 out the door right now, where as my link is $80 out the door. If he wants the 650 watt, 40 dollars out the door is a total steal.

As for the CPU cooler, he is just planning on running stock speeds so a Corsair A50 would do great, much better then the stock cooler and quiter too. It also is a steal at 20 bucks after MIR. If he wanted to spend more money there is the ECO for 50 bucks: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...27375(ME).aspx

Or the H50 for 40 after MIR:

Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU Cooler at Memory Express Computers

Last edited by BootlegUsher; December 25, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old December 25, 2010, 01:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

@RJ those aren't cheaping out.
But wow ECO for $50? H50 for $40? How is this possible
Old December 25, 2010, 02:20 PM
Banned
F@H

mail in rebates....id rather have less cash coming out my pocket for the same exact product elsewhere vs more and then getting back some/never :)

what you have to do is this : get only what you need at the price you want or are ready to pay and of course free shipping. stick to those, only way to show the merchant what you want.

they really adapt. no buy? next time they offer free shipping like the competition. still not much? drop the price a few bucks more.

as a merchant, id rather make 10 bucks each cpu and sell 100 a day vs 30 bucks each cpu and sell 5 per day :)