Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2010, 06:07 PM
Top Prospect

Default Finally, the SATA power cables.

Man, why in the world are the SATA power cables so hard to put into the hard/DVD drives?... I can't seem to put them in without having to exert a ridiculous amount of force (not that I even managed to put the cables in...).

The SATA data cables fit really easily. I made sure that the 'L' matched up, but I still can't make it fit... Is that normal?

I also need to buy an additional SATA data drive, my stupid motherboard box only gave me one data cable and an IDE drive (which I can't use). I wonder if a dollar store sells them...
Old December 23, 2010, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I understand this is probably one of your first builds, the best way to go about building a modern system is, if you have to force it, you're doing something wrong. With ZIF sockets (zero insertion force) it should plop right in, with everything else, a firm but gentle push at the right angle should do it. Aftermarket cooling is sometimes the exception. Best analogy I can think of is opening a pop can, about that amount of force should be the max you apply for most things in a computer system.

The SATA power/data cables, can sometimes take a little bit of force, not much but just a little firm pressure. If it doesn't work, make sure you're not trying to force it on at an off angle and make sure the connector is right.

Same goes with the motherboard, and everything else you've been asking about. Just don't worry, you'll do fine, before you know it you'll be laughing at yourself for being so worried over something you can do so easily. If something goes wrong, just chill and retrace your steps, we all make mistakes, especially the silly ones.
Old December 23, 2010, 09:19 PM
Rookie

Well put, ilya. Also, all SATA interfaces have a distinct 'L' shape. Be sure you have positioned the cable to fit before attempting to insert it.

Edit: My mistake, I did not catch that you had already done this.
Old December 23, 2010, 10:47 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Sometimes I think the design of the connector, maybe the manufacture thinks once you connected your SATA cable along side with the power connector, they tight it up so much so that they won't fall off easily either due to shock or movement.

For SATA cable, not sure if dollar store sells them but sometimes computer stores like NCIX will go on sale and priced like $0.99 each. If you look around I am sure sometimes you could find some cheaper ones.
Old December 24, 2010, 09:28 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks guys, for the advice and support!

The Corsair HX650 PSU includes two bundles of cables that each have ~3 SATA power connections on it. For whatever reason, the top one for both bundles are extremely difficult to put into the hard drive and the DVD drive. When I used one of the connections in the middle, it fit in really quite easily and snugly. Odd. >.>

Anyway, I'm done building my new computer and I'm currently enjoying it! Definitely a huge step-up from an Intel GMA3100.

On another note, I am DEFINITELY laughing at myself, now. In retrospect, I made things out to be much more difficult than they actually were. Let me tell you... I was scared shitless while handling the processor and also when I was applying the thermal compound. I'm an extremely paranoid person, to begin with, so it certainly doesn't help that I was in a situation where I could potentially kapow $400 worth of components (one time, I even forgot to put on the anti-static wristband when I was handling the motherboard!!!).
Old December 24, 2010, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Anti-static bands are useless these days.

Touch a metal part on your case and your grounded :P
Old December 24, 2010, 12:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Anti-static bands are useless these days.

Touch a metal part on your case and your grounded :P
Or go hardcore and build your pc in a snow bank.