Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2010, 01:50 PM
Top Prospect

Default Placing the motherboard onto the standoffs... :'(

Erk... Now I'm having trouble installing the motherboard. The IO shield that came with the motherboard has these weird small metal parts that jut out. They prevent me from lining up my motherboard perfectly with the standoffs on the case. Should I bend them out at a 90* angle?

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7752/img0228rh.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4462/img0229q.jpg (here's a pic of my CPU. I'm worried as hell I screwed up something, because I definitely heard a scraping noise. I can't tell if it was caused by the motherboard, itself...)
Old December 23, 2010, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Uh no. You til the board at an angle and then slide it in and push up against the I/O shield.
Old December 23, 2010, 02:13 PM
Top Prospect

I'm trying to fit the motherboard in at an angle, but it just won't line up with both the IO shield and the standoffs. I will have force the motherboard to fit with the standoffs and the IO shield, and I definitely don't want to do that...

Moreover, on the top of the USB and other connections, there's a very small indent. And curiously enough, these indents seem to line up with the small metal pieces that I was talking about, previously. I'll try taking a picture to show you guys what I mean.
Old December 23, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oh hell it's normal to have to push some time to line it all up i have had i/o shields bend out because of it and it never causes problems. justmy2cents
Old December 23, 2010, 02:23 PM
Top Prospect

So I just leave it as it is? Don't try and bend it outwards or inwards?
Old December 23, 2010, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I normally just line it up with the i/o shield and push a little ( sometimes a lot he he ) on the other side of the mb till it lines up with the standoffs then screw it all down never had a problem in over 1000's of builds and rebuilds. just this year i built myself 13 machines i think i have an addiction eh build sell build and sell some more
Old December 23, 2010, 04:18 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Don't worry about those little metal pieces sticking out. As enaberif mentioned, just place the mobo there at a small angle, and then push the mobo into place. It is normal for it to be a tight fit. Just make sure you have the rear IO plate snapped into the case fully.

I would worry more about the 'scraping' you mentioned when installing the cpu. You need to be careful when placing the cpu into the socket, as those little pins are easy to damage. Make sure you line up the little triangle with the proper corner, and also line up the cpu notches. When you lower the cpu retention lever, there is a fair amount of force though, so don't worry about that.

If you boot your computer and you notice that all ram is not recognized (ie. 2GB seen, and not all 4GB), reseat the ram of course and try again. If that still is an issue, then you may need to reseat the cpu, and check for bent pins in the socket.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 23, 2010, 06:04 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Don't bend the tabs. In your 1st pic its obvious the i/o plate is not fully seated to the case. Start by applying force on the small sides so that the surfaces meet, then apply force on the larger sides. Install the motherboard at an angle (~20*), and it's normal to force the board to match the studs and compress the i/o plate.

CPU is fine, see second pic (you can see the tabs line up). The sound you hear when you secure the CPU is quite normal. I just did it on the board next to me (yes Chris, dead SR2 #3) and it makes that sound when I apply force on the lever.