Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2010, 01:02 PM
Top Prospect

Default Installing the CPU

Holy crap... I placed the i5-760 straight into the socket. That's all I did. I didn't feel it falling into place or anything, but the small notches on the side line up. However, when I try and push the latch on the side down, I hear this scrapping noise and I seem to need a worrying amount of force to push the latch down. Have I done something incorrectly?

Also, I couldn't seem to push the RAM directly down into the DIMM slots to the extent that the notches would automatically close. I seemed to have to push it down with, again, a worrying amount of force and then manually close the notch.
Old December 23, 2010, 01:14 PM
MVP
F@H

Memory I've put in, seems to take a bit force.

Can you determine if the scraping noise is caused by the CPU or the latch mechanism itself? i.e. does the latch by itself make the sound without a CPU chip?

It might help if you gave info on the specific motherboard and the ram you are using, for those who are more experienced than I.
Old December 23, 2010, 01:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yeah sounds about right.. the cpu has no pins so all you really do is drop it in and close the latch. The processor is designed to fit the cpu socket exactly. If you see on both sides of the processors there are very small cut outs, those are there to mate with the plastic cpu socket.

The grinding noise is probably coming from the latch.

Shouldn't worry about the RAM issue, usually takes some force to get them in. As long as there intalled with both latches closed your good to go.

Last edited by vohiep84; December 23, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old December 23, 2010, 01:40 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

All is fine.
Old December 23, 2010, 01:46 PM
Top Prospect

Erk... Now I'm having trouble installing the motherboard. The IO shield that came with the motherboard has these weird small metal parts that jut out. They prevent me from lining up my motherboard perfectly with the standoffs on the case. Should I bend them out at a 90* angle?

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7752/img0228rh.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4462/img0229q.jpg (here's a pic of my CPU. I'm worried as hell I screwed up something, because I definitely heard a scraping noise. I can't tell if it was caused by the motherboard, itself...)
Old December 23, 2010, 02:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

don't worry first time build worries is all from the sounds of it is all. have fun and injoy
Old December 23, 2010, 03:09 PM
Allstar

the metal tabs... Bend out of the way... Their a pain in the ass anyways.

AS for everything else, If its seated, Boot up.

First time build are always a PITA but after that You'll think back when your on your 100th build and laugh.
Old December 23, 2010, 10:42 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

The CPU i think is alright, as long as it boots up and have a reasonable temp then there's nothing to worry about. For the RAM, sometimes even if you insert it correctly the side tabs does not close / snap into place by itself, it's ok to close them manually. As everyone else said, as long as it boots up fine then not too much should be worry about.
Old December 24, 2010, 08:42 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Both parts will take a bit of force to install, just make sure you've lined up your CPU correctly in the socket and haven't bent any pins.

As for RAM, it does take a seemingly inoordinate amount of force to install, but what I do is I put in one side first until it locks and then the other. If the board only has one clip, I lower it into the side that doesn't have a clip first. Always works and takes away some of the feeling of excessive force.