Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2010, 09:40 AM
Top Prospect

Default Questions regarding Stability Testing.

Hi Canuckers! In an earlier thread, I asked for help in creating a new computer build and successfully ordered the parts.

I expect my case and OS to arrive sometime today, and I will also try to finish building the computer today. I've already got most of my questions addressed in, yet, another thread, but I still have 3 more remaining.

1) Is it alright if I use a business card (made of cardboard, I think) to smooth out the thermal paste which I'm going to apply directly to a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+. Or would I be better off using a razor? I'm planning to fill in the gaps between the 3 silver-coloured blocks and the 4 copper pipes, and then apply a thin line to each of the three silver parts that are located between the copper pipes. I'm not sure how thin the lines should be; however, I'm aiming for the lines to be a third, in length, of the base of the heatsink itself.

2) Can MemCheck86 be run after I've installed the OS, or would I have to burn it to a disc and run it beforehand? I plan to run this for 24 hours.

3) Lastly, is there any good programs that will allow me to monitor the temperatures of my CPU/GPU in real-time? I plan to stress-test my CPU with Prime95, and my GPU with 3D Mark06 -- the former for 24 hours and the latter for 4 hours.

I know I won't be able to use my new computer for at least 3 more days, but I do not want to take any chances. This will be my first time building a computer, and I'm especially worried about the thermal-paste application. Help would be appreciated.

P.S. --- I know my threads seem to ask the same questions over and over again, as if I'm ignoring the advice and posts that have already been posted. Please keep in mind that I have read and taken all posts into consideration and that, if I'm posting again, it's probably because I'm still confused.
Old December 23, 2010, 10:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

For the thermal paste just spread it evenly over the cpu, no need for making lines of it and such and I honestly wouldn't use a razor. I personally just get a sandwhich baggie and put my finger in it like a glove and put a small dot of thermal paste on my finger and just rub it on the cpu till it's evenly coated. You can run memcheck anytime you want honestly but some may say to do it prior to installing a OS just to make sure everything is going to work good. You can use speedfan to monitor temps on your system as well :)
Old December 23, 2010, 10:06 AM
Banned
F@H

well, if you want to be mental about it, memetst first. of course time permitting. leave it one pass just in case. then drop the os, let it install drivers, drop prime95 and loop 3dmark or something graphical at the same time. no errors? cool.

watch out for temps and such as well.

good idea for the first boot to be on the mobo's cardbox, just in case.
Old December 23, 2010, 10:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1. Don't over think the whole thermal paste thing. What you're talking about should work fine.
2. I would run Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool before you run the OS install. You don't need to run it for 24 hours. Run it for one pass (maybe an hour) to make sure your RAM is good before wasting your time installing an OS on a system with faulty RAM.
3. Depends entirely on type (amd/intel/ati/nvidia) and brand of the hardware you use.

Edit: Wow, talk about being ninja'd
Old December 23, 2010, 10:16 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Think even less of the paste application. Just put a slightly bigger dot smack in the middle of the CPU's heat spreader and install the thing. The pressure will spread it out.

I've done this numerous times and it works fine.
Old December 23, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1. I personally don't spread it and just let it spread by itself. However, depending on your cooler, there's different methods of applying the thermal paste. http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=5

2. I personally run Memtest. I run Test #5 for maybe a couple hours, then run all the tests overnight. If it passes, then I consider my RAM stable.

3. CPU: Core Temp. GPU: EVGA Precision Tool, GPU-Z, and MSI Afterburner.
Old December 23, 2010, 10:33 AM
Banned
F@H

and of course ubcd is your frend with all the little things on it :)
Old December 23, 2010, 10:38 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks guys, for the replies.

Regarding #1, I would love to keep it simple and just put a modest glob in the center of the CPU. However, I've read countless threads stating that this method will NOT work for direct touch heat-pipe coolers such as the Hyper 212+. Even worse is the spreading method, as that will cause air bubbles to form. The temperature in my room is ~15*C, and I bought a Haf 922. Assuming I install the fan onto the cooler correctly, I'm aiming for a temperature of 22*C (idle) and 38*C (full load). Which reminds me, is there any way to tell which direction a fan will blow air? I want the fan included with the cooler to blow air onto the aluminum fins and thereby vent out through the back of the case.

For question #2, when I download the USB version of MemTest, do I unzip it after copying it to the USB? Sorry, I know this sounds like a dumb question (and it is), but I want to be absolutely positive. Also, what is "one pass"?

Finally, for #3: I'll use SpeedFan/Core Temp for my CPU, and GPU-Z for my GPU. So you guys can consider this question resolved. : ) If it helps, however, I will be installing Win 7, GTX 460, Core i5-760, and 4GB of G.Skill RAM with CAS 9 (no idea what CAS is).
Old December 23, 2010, 10:44 AM
MVP

My System Specs

#1, just spin the fan blade and feel what way the air is moving :P
Old December 23, 2010, 10:55 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I through spreading thermal paste wasn't the best solution because you get air bubbles when you press something onto it. Where as a single 5mm blob in the middle spreads and pushes the air out when you clamp the heatsink down.

YouTube - How Thermal Compound Spreads