Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2010, 09:22 AM
Trial Member

Default First Time Ever Building

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Computer gaming and programming

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
1250-1500

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
None, just prefer quality products

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
None

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
Yes. I've been lurking the forums for a while now.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
I have never Oc'd but would be willing to if I had a reason and a good tutorial

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
ASAP

9. What resolution do you use?
1920*1080

Would prefer to build a system that can have some staying power, and be able to play the new Diablo when it comes out at a high level. If I have to spend a bit more to do it I would.
Old December 24, 2010, 07:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You can go either AMD or Intel... Intel will be releasing Sandy Bridge on Jan 9th and it's very promising. As for Video card a 6970 or 570 from Nvidia can handle pretty much anything at 1080p.

4Gb or ram is perfect, if you come around a deal for 8 why not...

It's about 1149$+tx for :

I5 760
750 OCZ PSU
P55A MSI Board
1TB WD Black HDD
GTX 570 Video Card
CM HAF912 Case
4GB of Ram
LG DVD Writer
Copy of Windows 7 Home Premium

If you need a monitor and KeyB+Mouse it would be extras..
Old December 24, 2010, 09:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

^^^Looks good, but get a different PSU. go corsair, seasonic or even (dont flame on me) the new thermaltake line. you want a good quality one to handle your rig. And go with 750-850 Watts with a good effeciency (silver or gold). This way you can go SLI with 2x 570 and not have any worries

As for RAM, look into GSkill. good RAM at a good price!

The HAF912 is more of a budget case. Also you should choose your case, as your gonna have to look at it for a long time :P
Old December 25, 2010, 05:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The ram in the kit in G.Skill ;) that's what a got

I only suggested a 912 because it 56$, add 50$ for a more elaborate case..

PSU, yeah it's also a very random subjet.. i've been using Antec all my life without any problems with them, altought there mostly always overpriced. But they, this one was on sale recently that's why i included it in the price ;)
Old December 25, 2010, 06:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I used to have a OCZ psu which ran very well for a few years until I built a whole new pc. Now I got a corsair 750watt and it runs really well and am going to try out a seasonic for my htpc build. So I would suggest anyone of the three, I know alot of people will say 'eww ocz' but it got the job done and powered everything I needed well my only complaint on it was one 4 pin molex line had very little power, I plugged two fans into it and they ran as slow as a snail, if I only plugged one into it the fan was much faster so I ended up having to swap it for the second one.
Old December 27, 2010, 06:49 PM
Rookie

I would say that Corsair and SeaSonic are at the top right now in terms of Power Supply reliability. OCZ seems to be either hit or miss. Antec is not a bad choice, either.
Old December 27, 2010, 07:08 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevard View Post
I would say that Corsair and SeaSonic are at the top right now in terms of Power Supply reliability. OCZ seems to be either hit or miss. Antec is not a bad choice, either.
not really. ocz is ok, just not great. series II are better than the first ones, making them decent. i wouldnt be afraid to build a pc with an ocz psu, never was. id be a tad concerned about the scopes if i were to run it full bore to the top vs a seasonic unit :)
Old December 28, 2010, 12:03 AM
Allstar

XFX black edition are nice budget PSUs. Enermax are high-end and compete with Corsair AX series.